• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Osiris

Osiris

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Dwayne Green has been named the new head coach at the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute. He was the offensive coordinator at Edmondson during the State Championship year until 2010. He previously coached at BDJ and his alma mater Dunbar. Congratulations, coach!!!

#2 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 05:33 PM

Good resume

#3 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:49 AM

Is he a teacher? Is he in the building in some way?

#4 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

I think he is or was a 12th grade counselor at Poly.

#5 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

Good news. It is important to be in the building as a head coach.

Edited by Outside Looking In, 27 April 2014 - 10:27 AM.

#6 maryland57

maryland57

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:53 AM

how may total new coaches will take the field total anyone have an idea

#7 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:19 PM

Good news. It is important to be in the building as a head coach.

And why may I ask???

#8 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

No explanation needed. Common knowledge.

#9 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:52 AM

One of the better programs in the area where you say you are from has a head coach who is not on the school staff.  He has probably put more kids in the next level of play as a 1A school than any other program at any classification for an area known to put kids at the next level.  That head coach is Charles Harley of Forestville High School.  I'm positive that he is not a teacher, school counselor, or otherwise employed in the school system as a faculty member or administrator.  Maybe that is not common knowledge.

But the deck is stacked to be a school official as one's primary job and coaching as part-time.  But some coaches have lives whereby even a principal's salary wouldn't meet their need so they have employment that pay for their lifestyle and they coach purely for the love of the game.

#10 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:46 AM

Did not say it was a necessity, but important. Of course there are examples of successful coaches that are not in the building, but it is very important to be. And that is common knowledge.

#11 nomad974

nomad974

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:52 AM

Of course, it isnt a necessity.  But being in school can help for all parties involved. Most schools would like to have their coaches in house.  It just makes things easier.  

That daily interaction with faculty and the rest of the student body is a plus.  In addition, being in house gives a coach the opprotunity to see their kids off the field.  It gives them a better feeling of where kids are mentally.

Academically speaking, being in the school gives the coaches face to face interaction with their kids teachers.  Which can help avoid issues before they happen.

Not to mention, nobody likes to commute, twice, 5 days a week.  

#12 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

Of course, it isnt a necessity.  But being in school can help for all parties involved. Most schools would like to have their coaches in house.  It just makes things easier.  

That daily interaction with faculty and the rest of the student body is a plus.  In addition, being in house gives a coach the opprotunity to see their kids off the field.  It gives them a better feeling of where kids are mentally.

Academically speaking, being in the school gives the coaches face to face interaction with their kids teachers.  Which can help avoid issues before they happen.

Not to mention, nobody likes to commute, twice, 5 days a week.  

Thank you. Again not a necessity but very very important for a number of other reasons. Good list.

#13 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:15 PM

Don't be so cavalier and dismissive that it's so important and "common knowledge" that it's best that a high school coach be in the school yet you refuse to support your position.  I'm not of the school of thought that there is only one way to do things or that there is only one effective way to accomplish things.  Stacked deck, as I called it, have hindered or flat out thwarted some otherwise good coaches to join certain programs over mandated rules that the head coach be a member of the school staff.  I personally know of a guy who is an excellent coach who was very willing to work at a particular public school  ( his alma ) but the guy had a couple kids of his own in private schools where their tuition alone at St. Albans of DC for his two kids exceeded the yearly salary of the public school principal where he wanted to head up that program.  That guy has a six figure salary he needed to maintain to support his own family in the way they were quite accustomed.  So his alma lost out of a great opportunity to bring on an exceptional coach over some short sighted coaching rule that probably had great intentions but suffered from the law of unintended consequences.

Situations where it's so important for the coach to be a member of the faculty or administration is where the coach is also expected to be the parent of every player and you know exactly what I mean.

#14 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:27 PM

No reason to have to support my position. In most situations it is much better to have the head coach in the building rather than a person that shows up before practice time. It is that simple. Are their cases of outside success? Yes, but most want a person in the school because of the reasons mentioned earlier. Did not think that I had to explain such a common thing to someone who supposedly knows about football/coaching.

By the way, I have come to the conclusion that you disagree with every opinion on here for whatever reason. I just think you like to hear yourself talk or type for that matter.

#15 nomad974

nomad974

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:47 PM

Again, this isnt a one size fits all type thing.  There are multiple ways to run a program.  Its just what most districts prefer. And outside of sacrificing income, most coaches would like to be in house.  Overall it gives them better control and foresight. 

Now I am only speaking from the Public School perspective.  But a coach in the school has a easier time promoting the vision of their program to students & faculty than a coach outside the school does.  Not saying, it cant be done, but it does make things easier.

#16 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 01:48 PM

Okay OLI.  So you wish to make such declarative statements and refuse to support them in a discussion board with a mere no need to or common knowledge statement.  Key words, Discussion Board.  It's one thing to say it's much better to have a coach in the building ( for reasons you care not to expand upon ) rather than a person that shows up before practice time over it's vitally important that that coach be on the school staff.  When a coach is required to be at the school during the school day, it's usually because there are non-football issues he is expected to be aware of, deal with, or circumvent that could adversely affect the football team.  But wait, isn't the football coach the football coach so what's so wrong with him being there for only football times!!!  Perhaps that coach is needed for academic oversight, truancy, and other non-football related matters.

Coaches being certified teachers is one thing but to demand they be in the building where their players are is all together different.  A teacher - coach is most important to me and not where he does his teaching.  I know of a MD Hall of Fame high school coach who has been with his program for 30-years.  He is not the head coach even though he is a certified teacher and coach because he is a principal at a private middle school.  Ridiculous!!!! But he abides by the rules of the head coach preference going to someone in the school since the hall of famer loves the program so much.

I'm just curious.  One of The Better Football programs in the state of Maryland is at Gilman.  GA, please tell me how many coaches are on the Gilman football coaching staff and please tell me how many are members of the faculty who teach in the higher level school?  And is the head coach one of them?

Edited by DayWalker, 28 April 2014 - 02:12 PM.

#17 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:09 PM

Again, this isnt a one size fits all type thing.  There are multiple ways to run a program.  Its just what most districts prefer. And outside of sacrificing income, most coaches would like to be in house.  Overall it gives them better control and foresight. 

Now I am only speaking from the Public School perspective.  But a coach in the school has a easier time promoting the vision of their program to students & faculty than a coach outside the school does.  Not saying, it cant be done, but it does make things easier.

I understand your point nomad of a an onsite coach but consider this.  You say most coaches would like to be in house but I'm going to go out on the limb to say that most coaches are NOT in house and that most come in just to coach.  The head coach may be on staff but I'll venture to guess that most others have other jobs.  I could be wrong but that's where I would place my wager.

Regarding promoting the vision of their program to students and faculty,  I just don't think students and faculty put that much thought, time, and energy into football with so many other competing school interests.  It's all about simply winning games and possibly going to states for any given sport for school spirit and all. I just don't think high school sports run that deep across the board.

Now what I do see as the biggest issue with faculty coaches is that they spend a gosh awful amount of time in the building during football season.  Teacher- coaches can arrive at 7:00am and do not leave every day until 8 or 9pm.  And in some counties who play on Saturday, this can occur 6 or 7 days a week only to have a bunch of yoyos, some player's parents, yelling from the stands what sorry coaches they are during games that don't go well or why Johnny isn't in the game.

#18 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:18 PM

Okay OLI.  So you wish to make such declarative statements and refuse to support them in a discussion board with a mere no need to or common knowledge statement.  Key words, Discussion Board.  It's one thing to say it's much better to have a coach in the building ( for reasons you care not to expand upon ) rather than a person that shows up before practice time over it's vitally important that that coach be on the school staff.  When a coach is required to be at the school during the school day, it's usually because there are non-football issues he is expected to be aware of, deal with, or circumvent that could adversely affect the football team.  But wait, isn't the football coach the football coach so what's so wrong with him being there for only football times!!!  Perhaps that coach is needed for academic oversight, truancy, and other non-football related matters.

Coaches being certified teachers is one thing but to demand they be in the building where their players are is all together different.  A teacher - coach is most important to me and not where he does his teaching.  I know of a MD Hall of Fame high school coach who has been with his program for 30-years.  He is not the head coach even though he is a certified teacher and coach because he is a principal at a private middle school.  Ridiculous!!!! But he abides by the rules of the head coach preference going to someone in the school since the hall of famer loves the program so much.

I'm just curious.  One of The Better Football programs in the state of Maryland is at Gilman.  GA, please tell me how many coaches are on the Gilman football coaching staff and please tell me how many are members of the faculty who teach in the higher level school?  And is the head coach one of them?

You are putting word sin my mouth buddy. I said it is important for head coaches to be in the middle. Many assistants are not in the building and that is okay. The head coach needs to be the one in the building. Who takes care of the day to day problems that can arise in a school day? The assistant? That is not fair to them to take that responsibility. I know in bmore county, 80% of football staff has to be in the building in some capacity. 20% can be from outside the building and that is including head coach.

You mention Gilman. Gilman and many other privates are different. Poggi does not have a 9-5 where he is at the office. He owns his own business. His office is at Gilman. That is just as good as being in the building. Public schools dont have the ability to let an out of the building head coach have an office and spend all day in school.

Again, you just need to disagree with everything that is said on this board for some reason. I am waiting for your next diatribe.

#19 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 828 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:21 PM

I understand your point nomad of a an onsite coach but consider this.  You say most coaches would like to be in house but I'm going to go out on the limb to say that most coaches are NOT in house and that most come in just to coach.  The head coach may be on staff but I'll venture to guess that most others have other jobs.  I could be wrong but that's where I would place my wager.

Regarding promoting the vision of their program to students and faculty,  I just don't think students and faculty put that much thought, time, and energy into football with so many other competing school interests.  It's all about simply winning games and possibly going to states for any given sport for school spirit and all. I just don't think high school sports run that deep across the board.

Now what I do see as the biggest issue with faculty coaches is that they spend a gosh awful amount of time in the building during football season.  Teacher- coaches can arrive at 7:00am and do not leave every day until 8 or 9pm.  And in some counties who play on Saturday, this can occur 6 or 7 days a week only to have a bunch of yoyos, some player's parents, yelling from the stands what sorry coaches they are during games that don't go well or why Johnny isn't in the game.

You do not think it is important for the head coach to have a relationship with other faculty about their teams? You are dead wrong on this. That is one of the most important elements that a head coach in the building can bring.

#20 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:03 PM

You are putting word sin my mouth buddy. I said it is important for head coaches to be in the middle. Many assistants are not in the building and that is okay. The head coach needs to be the one in the building. Who takes care of the day to day problems that can arise in a school day? The assistant? That is not fair to them to take that responsibility. I know in bmore county, 80% of football staff has to be in the building in some capacity. 20% can be from outside the building and that is including head coach.

You mention Gilman. Gilman and many other privates are different. Poggi does not have a 9-5 where he is at the office. He owns his own business. His office is at Gilman. That is just as good as being in the building. Public schools dont have the ability to let an out of the building head coach have an office and spend all day in school.

Again, you just need to disagree with everything that is said on this board for some reason. I am waiting for your next diatribe.

And I told you of the Forestville head football coach who is not on the faculty staff there and his program has done just fine over the years.  Moreover, I told you that his program as a 1A school has put just as many if not more kids at the next level of play than any other program at any classification AND I was just PM'd that one of his former players was drafted last year into the NFL.  But you just gloss over that with a preference for an in-school teacher-coach.  I mentioned that the teacher salary can be quite prohibited for some to take on to coach.  Yet many of these potentially great additions are institutionally tossed into the dumpster over in-school teacher - coaches.  Why limit the pool of effective coaches is all I'm saying.  Make the best choice from all available rather than who you can put get on the payroll.  Why self-inflict limited choices!!!!

Yes yes yes, a public school cannot allow a coach to have a business office within the school.  But don't tell a very good coach who happens to have a high 6-figure job that he needs to take a $50K job in the building to coach a darn football team when he also pays tuition for his own kids to go to a private school that amount to what the principal makes.  If that person is well qualified to coach and is also certified as a teacher, don't turn him down or by rule don't consider the prospect because they are not in the building with the other teachers who are also clueless of what's going on around them with their students.

Teacher - Coach is what's important, not In-School Detention Officer - Coach!!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users