Lombardozzi sent down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:05 PM

He had 1 option left, and the O's used it to make room for Patton. I don't like this move. there may not be much difference between the 2 players, but I like him more than Flaherty who is pretty much a waste of an AB.

but RF can play all 4 infield positions, so he wins.   

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#2 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 01:34 PM

weird-O, how does that option thing work? Can they move Lombardozzi up and down all season, or only once? I have to believe he is a guy we will see back here as situations fluctuate during the season, especially assuming Flaherty continues his dry spell. It would be nice to keep him on tap.

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,374 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 01 May 2014 - 02:09 PM

weird-O, how does that option thing work? Can they move Lombardozzi up and down all season, or only once? I have to believe he is a guy we will see back here as situations fluctuate during the season, especially assuming Flaherty continues his dry spell. It would be nice to keep him on tap.

this is the last time they can send him down. when he comes up again, he can't be optioned back to the minors without clearing waivers. from Brit Ghiroli's tweets, it sounds like he is kind of mad about it.

I read a short article about it also. the writer's angle (not a local writer) is that Lombo's stock has dropped significantly. he said Lombo was traded for an impact starting pitcher. then he was traded for a run down SS who was almost immediately cut after the tigers acquired him. and now he's sent to the minors.

I don't buy that at all. I think the O's value him, but they need arms more than they need a surplus of back up IFers. strangely enough, if Flaherty could hit...just a little bit...they wouldn't have needed to bring back Pearce. this all hinges on one aspect. Flaherty can back up Hardy and it doesn't seem like SL has that ability.      

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,957 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

The 'option' is good all year, they can send him up and down as many times as they like.

Seems to be an abundance of lefties in the pen.

#5 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,957 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:39 PM

And really, isn't this move really about Machado not Patton?  Someone from the infield had to go down.  I'm surprised it wasn't Weeks and if Lombardozzi is mad I would think it's about Weeks not Flaherty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users