• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:49 AM

He is 11 out of 12 in saves, but he is doing his best Jim Johnson impersonation.  If he wasn't handed a couple of 2 run leads he would have at least 2 or 3 more blown saves.  He has given up 17 hits in 13 innings and that just isn't going to get it done.  I'm just not seeing dominant stuff, like Britton has been displaying.  Buck will stick with him though until the train is completely off the rails.  That's what Buck does. Loyal to a fault.  I'd like to see Buck mix in Britton once in awhile in the ninth inning.  Quit pushing the auto closer button .

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,490 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 10 May 2014 - 10:19 AM

I totally agree. it's like a starter who keeps letting the first 2 batters reach base each inning, eventually you will get burned. he has yet to retire the side 1-2-3. it seems like he is routinely allowing base runners to reach 3B. it's not sustainable. maybe I am not remembering correctly, but I seem to recall Hunter coming in and shutting things down as a middle reliever. maybe Britton is the better choice. but then you remove a guy from the BP who can give you 3 innings in relief. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 SNAFU

SNAFU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

he has yet to retire the side 1-2-3.

Yes he has, in a non-save situation.

I don't have an 'ignore' list. I don't need no stinkin' list to remind me who I've ignored! I ignore the old-fashioned way.

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 01:03 PM

Yes he has, in a non-save situation.

I stand corrected :D

when it was clear that the O's were going to use TH as their closer, I was supportive. I figured he would blow some leads, but overall he would do as well as Johnson for less money.

it's true that the results are good, if you just look at the stats, but he hasn't been able to come in and lock down an inning this year.

maybe we're just acting like a bunch of whiny red sox fans by complaining about disasters that haven't happened.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,327 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

It's not sustainable though. If he keeps allowing baserunners in the 9th inning, he will eventually blow a bunch of saves. It's inevitable.

#6 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:47 PM

It's not sustainable though. If he keeps allowing baserunners in the 9th inning, he will eventually blow a bunch of saves. It's inevitable.

Then again, he might not. Stop being such a pessimist.

#7 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,763 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:02 PM

He doesn't need to last...he just needs to last the year.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#8 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,125 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:46 PM

I agree, Hunter walks a tight rope and it's just a matter of time.  He's getting hit pretty good.  Left handed closers are rare but hey the O's have had some luck with them (Myers, Sherrill), maybe Britton will work.  It's not done often though so I wouldn't expect it.

#9 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,327 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:35 PM

Well.... hate to be a prophet.

#10 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 09:54 AM

I totally agree. it's like a starter who keeps letting the first 2 batters reach base each inning, eventually you will get burned. he has yet to retire the side 1-2-3. it seems like he is routinely allowing base runners to reach 3B. it's not sustainable. maybe I am not remembering correctly, but I seem to recall Hunter coming in and shutting things down as a middle reliever. maybe Britton is the better choice. but then you remove a guy from the BP who can give you 3 innings in relief. 

You recall correctly from 2012 and 2013 where he came in around the 7th or 8th inning and just blew guys away.  I watched him closely last night and he isn't close to being the same pitcher.  I hate to keep beating a dead horse, but his 95mph fastball is 3 or 4 ticks down from the last two years.  Hitters are fighting it off and he is trying to fool them with really poor off-speed stuff.  He was quoted after last's night game as saying hitters are hitting his fastball, curve ball and anything he is throwing.  Hey Tommy, you know why?  Your stuff ain't good enough anymore.  I agree that he will blow a ton of games this year.  He may make JJ look good from 2013.  And auto buck will keep throwing him out there until the train is off the tracks. 

Yeah tough call on moving Britton out of his role.  Moving him to closer will just create another gaping hole in the 6-8 inning bridge.  If we had starters that could go 7 or 8 innings moving Britton to closer would be easier.  Not with our 5 inning horses.

#11 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,192 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 10:35 AM

Closer by committee seems like the best idea at this point.

#12 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:47 PM

I agree, Hunter has been a ticking time bomb so last night was no surprise.  In fact he's lucky he hasn't blown more recently.  

Like some of you guys I'm more frustrated with Showalter than anything b/c of the auto-button he pushes for the closer role.  It drives me absolutely insane when a guy (Britton, O'day) pitches a quick 8th inning then Showalter automatically yanks the guy and puts in Hunter, who has good save numbers but has clearly struggled.  This stubbornness killed the O's last year and could again this year if Buck can't change his mindset.  

I agree closer by committee / stick with the hot hand is best option at this point.  

#13 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

Besides, Britton seems like da man

#14 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 06:21 AM

Closer by committee seems like the best idea at this point.

Make it a very small committe - Britton, Hunter, O'Day - and I'm in agreement. 

I was at the game Sat and really was hoping Buck would leave Britton in to finish because he threw only about 9-11 pitches in the 8th and looked good - again - doing so. 

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:23 AM

McFarland was sent down. 

#16 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,471 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:23 AM

Oakland switched to a "whoever I feel like closing tonight" system after Johnson struggled early on and they're doing pretty well with it so far.  Johnson had a TON of good fortune in 2012 (great defensive plays, giving up 1 with a 2 run lead, giving up 2 with a 3 run lead, etc) and it worked out to be a tremendous year by the books.  In the post-season his luck ran out.  Hopefully Hunter has the same run of good fortune.  When he was hitting high 90s in middle-relief a while back, you could have made a case for him having "closer" stuff... but he's not touching the high 90s that often / easily.  But I'm biased, unless you have an Eckersley, or a Rivera, or even a "in his prime, ridiculous curve" Gregg Olson I don't like the need to label one guy all the time. 

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#17 Navypost

Navypost

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

Steve Johnson could be a sleeper for that spot if heathly. I do like Hunter as a long man tho. He just can't handle the closer role. 

#18 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:53 PM

That's all she wrote. He's done.

#19 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

Highly Sophisticated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,194 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

I've seen enough.

#20 Balmerboh

Balmerboh

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:55 PM

Well, now Showalter will begin to explore other options. If he understands baseball.

Maybe he should wake up out of his prehistoric thinking that you must go to a closer in the 9th even if your previous guy was lights out in the eighth

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users