Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Bring Back Kyle Boller, Who Needs an Offense to Win in the NFL?

Waterboy Offense

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#1 confused fan

confused fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:27 PM

As NFL teams are getting more explosive, the Ravens are determined to go backwards when it comes to the offensive side of the ball.  Joe Flacco currently does not have an offensive teammate that has been drafted in the first round by the Ravens. Joe Flacco is entering into his seventh season. 

Based on this year’s draft grades, every defensive player selected appears to be “solid” but not “special”.  How many “special” offensive players did the Ravens pass up? The Ravens finished in the bottom five of the league in offense last year.  Yes they signed Steve Smith, this would have been great five years ago and the same thing can be said for Owen Daniels. 

Look at the current running backs in the stable…………Enough said.

I hope this stacked defense can get opposing offenses off the field this year, if not, this has to be considered a “wasted draft”.

Edited by confused fan, 10 May 2014 - 12:33 PM.

#2 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,927 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

Fire Cavanaugh!  Fire Billick!  Fire Fassel! Fire Neuheisel! Fire Cameron!  Fire Caldwell!  Fire Kubiak!  Fire Kubiak's replacement!  The o coordinators must go!

#3 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,543 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

It's way too early but...

This could easily go down as one of the worst drafts ever. (Or maybe that award should go to the 2013 draft, since the top picks this year are little more than replacements for LAST year's draft class!!)

#4 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,927 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 12:59 PM

Despite all the rule changes and everything the billionaire owners do to change the game to make them more money defense will always win championships.

#5 TigerBlood

TigerBlood

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

This definitely has the potential to be an epic fail of a draft.  Even if you take away the fact that this is a redo of last years draft, Mosley has injury problems and Jernigan failed a drug test at the combine.  There was a reason both guys were available when we picked.  some teams had mosely as a late first or early second Rd pick and some took Jernigan off their board altogether. 

Wide Receiver is a need position and this draft was supposed to be one of the best ever for that position.  analysts were saying you could find a solid wideout in the 4th rd. 

How many did we draft?  None.  It is mind boggling.

Edited by TigerBlood, 10 May 2014 - 03:01 PM.

#6 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,543 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

The Baltimore Ravens...where offenses go to die.

#7 Berto

Berto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:16 PM

Everyone of yall should cease calling ur selves raven fans. I mean I don't think I've ever read anything from yall that's positive. It's just mind boggling... 1st of all we don't need any WRs if we do then tell me guys what wr do we cut? The only pick I don't like is the rb but what if he turns out I know I'll be wearing that jersey n so would you.

#8 Berto

Berto

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,051 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:19 PM

I know I rather have brown, mosley, and smith then have Bynes in there anywhere. I Def would have liked a top flight safety but I do love the Timmy pick. Yall don't know blank. Lol

#9 RavingManiac

RavingManiac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

I think this is the best draft the Ravens have had in a few years

#10 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,543 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:00 PM

I think this is the best draft the Ravens have had in a few years

I think that says a lot about your ability to assess football.

#11 RavingManiac

RavingManiac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:32 PM

Me? Ozzie is the one who did the draft. Are you saying your ability to assess football is better than Ozzie's?

#12 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,543 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 05:57 PM

Me? Ozzie is the one who did the draft. Are you saying your ability to assess football is better than Ozzie's?

Absolutely.

:)

(He's like the cliche heavy weight boxer who just doesn't know when it's time to hang it up.)

#13 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:34 PM

The thing that makes any Ravens draft even more infuriating is the fact that all these guys picked will almost certainly be keeping the bench warm when the season starts.  It's the Harbaugh way.  It should be mid-season before we see any of them contributing in a significant way.  More than likely, we won't see ANY of them next year, especially if the team is in the thick of the divisional race to the playoffs.  I mean, let's be honest- if Boeller hadn't been injured and Troy Smith didn't get put out of commission with a serious illness in the 2008 camp, Joe Flacco would have rode the bench most of the year too.  So we can argue about whether the Ravens had a good draft or not but it usually takes years before any definitive outcome occurs.

#14 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

I have been on hereb itching since Thursday night, but I probably should make a disclaimer. I was on the Orioles' board all off-season in a state of high indignation over their total lack of doing anything about a starting pitcher and a big hitter. Then the week before camp they signed Jimenez and Cruz at favorable deals; now Cruz is their best hitter and Jimenez is showing signs of getting going on the right track. My point is that we don't know what is going on behind the scenes and what plans may be in process. I'm still disappointed in some things about this draft, but there is truly no way to assess it for a year or three. Like most of us, I want to see what I want to see now, but the club management have a lot of other stuff to take into consideration.

#15 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,543 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

I have been on hereb itching since Thursday night, but I probably should make a disclaimer. I was on the Orioles' board all off-season in a state of high indignation over their total lack of doing anything about a starting pitcher and a big hitter. Then the week before camp they signed Jimenez and Cruz at favorable deals; now Cruz is their best hitter and Jimenez is showing signs of getting going on the right track. My point is that we don't know what is going on behind the scenes and what plans may be in process. I'm still disappointed in some things about this draft, but there is truly no way to assess it for a year or three. Like most of us, I want to see what I want to see now, but the club management have a lot of other stuff to take into consideration.

That's all well and good. But that's the same tired party line, year in and year out. 17 starting RTs since 1996. That's not one year, or even a couple of years -- that's a total failure. Just like Gradkowski. The coaches MUST know he's ready, right? Wrong. And like the O-line. Castillo MUST know what he's doing, right? Wrong. So at some point, you simply have to open your eyes, and your mind, and call it like it is -- this was a lousy draft.

#16 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,038 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

Offense sells tickets.

defense wins (2) Championships.

#17 mcorioles

mcorioles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:45 PM

So we have a bunch of fans who have watched no film on any of these guys and don't work in a NFL front office criticizing Ozzie . What I have read is the 1st pick at 17 is a top 10 defensive talent and the 2nd round pick was a top 20 defensive talent ,most of the post draft reviews have read are A- to a solid B.

Look at the teams that have been drafting for need and not best player available. Cleveland, Dallas,Washington and Miami come to mind right off the top of my head.Would you rather have their draft team or ours?

#18 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,379 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:36 PM

So we have a bunch of fans who have watched no film on any of these guys and don't work in a NFL front office criticizing Ozzie . What I have read is the 1st pick at 17 is a top 10 defensive talent and the 2nd round pick was a top 20 defensive talent ,most of the post draft reviews have read are A- to a solid B.

Look at the teams that have been drafting for need and not best player available. Cleveland, Dallas,Washington and Miami come to mind right off the top of my head.Would you rather have their draft team or ours?

Why are you speaking reasonably on a Baltimore Ravens thread?

"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#19 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,927 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 07:59 AM

Don't take yourself so seriously...no one else does.

#20 mcorioles

mcorioles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,631 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:03 AM

Why are you speaking reasonably on a Baltimore Ravens thread?

I just look at the big picture , the Ravens are arguably one of the top 5 successful NFL franchises since 2000, it's good enough for me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users