• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 chrisbraven

chrisbraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:00 PM

NFL teams are so funny.  How many times over the years have you heard about stories of players that got hurt late in their college careers, or had some personal mishap, and wound up getting passed down/over in the draft?  Then, came back to destroy the entire league?

James Hurst, T, from UNC is one of these.

The guy is 2-time consecutive All-ACC first team, running.  He was an All-America candidate after last season and WAS Yahoo Sports Midseason All-America team.

He held the highly sought after Jadeveon Clowney to ZERO SACKS and 3 tackles, AT South Carolina last August.  

He and his line held opponents to 11 total sacks last season.

And you must remember, he has played against top-notch athletes in his career, including vs. Nat'l Champs FSU, Miami, Notre Dame, VTech, Clemson, GTech, South Carolina, Aaron Donald & Co. at Pittsburgh, Maryland, etc.  

This guy could start, game one, on the right side.  I think he should compete against Wagner and let the best man win.  Although, I think he is better than Wagner.  I've watched him for the last four years and he is a beast.  By the way, he played LT in college so he was the Man at the point of attack and he handled it.  Well.

Another diamond in the shade, uncovered by Ozzie & Co.

#RavensReloaded

BRAVEN

#2 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,509 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:14 PM

http://www.nfl.com/d...urst?id=2543623

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,234 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

Based on that link, I'm not impressed

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#4 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:23 PM

Sounds to me like he has a lot going for him, but not everything going for him. It looks like he can compete for the job at RT, but I hope there will be better options for this year at least.

#5 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,509 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

I agree with Ken and Steve.

(STOP THE PRESSES!!!!!!!!!!)

;)

#6 TigerBlood

TigerBlood

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

I happen to think the guy was a good pickup.  He was projected as a 2nd or 3rd Rd pick just before he broke his leg.  That NFL.com report must be based off watching his pro day where it was reported that he wasn't fully recovered from the broken leg.  Misleading report.

#7 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,509 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

I happen to think the guy was a good pickup.  He was projected as a 2nd or 3rd Rd pick just before he broke his leg.  That NFL.com report must be based off watching his pro day where it was reported that he wasn't fully recovered from the broken leg.  Misleading report.

But even as a projected 2nd or 3rd round pick...he's not going to set the world on fire.

Here's what I don't get, though. There are a TON of college teams. GOOD college teams. And they ALL have to have LTs and RTs. And so how come out of ALL THOSE TEAMS...they couldn't generate more than 2 or 3 tackles who can play in the NFL? What's up with that? It's not like tackles require 4.2 speed. They have to be big and strong. And be able to block. THAT"S IT. I think there should be more of them each year. Something's wrong.

;)

#8 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,979 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 10:06 PM

But even as a projected 2nd or 3rd round pick...he's not going to set the world on fire.

Here's what I don't get, though. There are a TON of college teams. GOOD college teams. And they ALL have to have LTs and RTs. And so how come out of ALL THOSE TEAMS...they couldn't generate more than 2 or 3 tackles who can play in the NFL? What's up with that? It's not like tackles require 4.2 speed. They have to be big and strong. And be able to block. THAT"S IT. I think there should be more of them each year. Something's wrong.

;)

That is a good question. You wouldn't think the position would be that involved, but I'm sure there is more to it. I recall a discussion on the radio around the time Jonathan Ogden retired about what made him such a special offensive lineman. I was expecting to hear he's big, strong, quick, balanced; but what I heard was that he was smart. I never (no offense to offensive linemen) associated the position with being smart, but it must be more complicated than it looks. Of course Ogden was exceptional, but just as a point of reference, here is what the Ravens' web site bio says about him, "A master technician, Ogden combined superior athletic ability, tremendous footwork, outstanding knowledge of the game and a fierce competitive zeal to become the most dominant offensive tackle of his era." So I guess that suggests why really quality tackles may be hard to come by.

#9 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,509 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:08 AM

That is a good question. You wouldn't think the position would be that involved, but I'm sure there is more to it. I recall a discussion on the radio around the time Jonathan Ogden retired about what made him such a special offensive lineman. I was expecting to hear he's big, strong, quick, balanced; but what I heard was that he was smart. I never (no offense to offensive linemen) associated the position with being smart, but it must be more complicated than it looks. Of course Ogden was exceptional, but just as a point of reference, here is what the Ravens' web site bio says about him, "A master technician, Ogden combined superior athletic ability, tremendous footwork, outstanding knowledge of the game and a fierce competitive zeal to become the most dominant offensive tackle of his era." So I guess that suggests why really quality tackles may be hard to come by.

Sure. When it comes to someone like J.O. He was a freak. But I'm not even talking about someone as exceptional as him. I'm just talking about SOMEONE WHO CAN PLAY. I mean...C'MON MAN!

(But obviously there must be more to it. I just can't figure it out, since every team that's competitive MUST have at least two starting OTs to make their offenses run, and yet out of EVERYBODY...they can only generate 2 or 3 guys who can step right in and play? Wow.)

Edited by OriginalColtsFan, 15 May 2014 - 09:33 AM.

#10 iceman43

iceman43

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:14 AM

I believe the dude it a steal also. But that's only if he is fully healed. There is a video out there that shows him against clowney in the SC game. He holds up rather well. I think at the 8 min mark there is a play where Clowney bowls him over(but not make the play) that was one of the very few negatives I saw.

Edited by iceman43, 14 May 2014 - 06:16 AM.

#11 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,234 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

There were several good 2nd round pick tackles available when Ozzie decided we needed another DT. Just sayin'

#12 iceman43

iceman43

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:24 AM

Ngata may not be around after next yr due to his contract so I think thats where hey may have been going with that one

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,234 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:33 AM

Ngata may not be around after next yr due to his contract so I think thats where hey may have been going with that one

That could be true. Cutting him next year saves about 8.5M against the 2015 cap

#14 chrisbraven

chrisbraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:59 AM

Fellas, the entire premise of this thread is that I have watched the guy for 4 years, both in person and on TV, both in live games and in spring practice and in drills, again, for FOUR YEARS.  I'm not a random NFL writer who hits or misses based on a couple of hours, tops, worth of work.  Scouting reports hit and miss.  But I'm telling you, this guy is a winner as a RT.  We didn't have to draft him, he turned down SEVENTEEN other offers to come here, he is 100% healthy now, and watch.  He will win the job.

Anyone can lose their footing on one play, but the question is, who won the duel between Hurst and Clowney?  HURST.  SHUT. HIM.  DOWN!!!!  And he will do the same for us, at a minimum price, without a loss of a draft pick.  This was a fortuitous and great move.

#RavensReloaded

BRAVEN

#15 iceman43

iceman43

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:27 AM

Braven I agree with you I think he's gonna be the one. and be here for a long time. Looking at that clowney tape. I was locked in on this guy.

#16 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,509 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:37 AM

I'd settle for the same O-line TWO YEARS IN A ROW! The O-line is more than just the sum of the parts. There has to be continuity, and they have to be able to play together as a unit. One of the things that keeps getting missed in all this "Ozzie will just grab somebody like he always does" is that not only have there been 17 different starting RTs since 1996, there hasn't been the same O-line configuration SINCE JOE HAS BEEN HERE. That's simply unacceptable on any and every level. IF this guy can stop that/fix that, fine. If not, it's just going to be more of the same.

#17 chrisbraven

chrisbraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

Can I just say this?  I have studied, played, and enjoyed this game for three and a half decades.  That's more than some of these reporters have been alive.  I am at the point in life where I simply don't think some of them know more about things than I do.  There are a few whose access gives them an edge, but even those with access can truly be in the dark, following the lastest trending fads.  Case in point: everyone and their brother saying that the Ravens should have picked an OT and RB in the draft.  Uh, maybe these professional football people knew what they were doing.  Maybe they knew that there was a sought after tackle who would sign if they did NOT draft a T.  Maybe they knew that believing in the rejuvenation of their seasoned veteran RB would be underscored by not going for a big-name draftee, and would help him to resurge.  We'll see.

#RavensReloaded

BRAVEN

#18 chrisbraven

chrisbraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:21 AM

O.G. O.C.!!  Whattup man.  What you say is true, yet we've won the Super Bowl in this span, and also were one game away from making the playoffs again for the 6th year in a row.  Consistency, I believe, yields a dominant OL but is not absolutely neccessary to win.  Dontcha think it'll be hard to get this because of free agency?  Really good Olinesmen get paid and gone, like Ben Grubbs did.  Yanda scares me in this way, although he did restructure in 2012 and will be under contract until 2015.  I do think that we could have something brewing if we looked like this by the END of this season: Monroe-LT, Osemele-LG, Urshel C, Yanda-RG, Hurst-RT, with Wagner,  and Zuttah as reserves.  If we could afford Yanda when his time comes, we might get some years of consistency from this lineup, IMHO.

I love how smart Urshel is.  A center has to be.  He has recognize defenses and make calls. Remember, our boy Matt Birk is a Harvard grad.

#RavensReloaded

BRAVEN

#19 RavingManiac

RavingManiac

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,165 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:40 AM

Yeah people seem to forget how successful the Ravens are when they throw out the "The OL must get fixed or it will be more of the same...". 

I tell you what, if the Ravens have 17 more RT during the next 15 years and have the same amount of playoff victories and 2 Super Bowl victories, I will gladly take more of the same. If Chris is right, this just may be the second best Ravens draft ever. We got a top 10 player in Mosley, a supposedly first rounder until the failed drug test in Juegenson, Brooks looks like a very good pick. We will have to wait and see of course. Perhaps Ozzie does understand 21st century football?

#20 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,763 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:50 PM

I heard good things about Hurst. If he is healthy, might be a steal.

But unc is not the nfl.
Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users