#1 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,277 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:15 PM

Another robo-manager with no feel for the game. Loyal to a fault. A terrible in-game manager.

I like Buck and I am happy that he turned us around from being losers but there's a reason he's run out of town at every place he manages. He turns you into a winner but nothing more. We will not be a World Series team under robo-Buck.

#2 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,093 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

Another robo-manager with no feel for the game. Loyal to a fault. A terrible in-game manager.

I like Buck and I am happy that he turned us around from being losers but there's a reason he's run out of town at every place he manages. He turns you into a winner but nothing more. We will not be a World Series team under robo-Buck.

I'm obviously not close to the team, but my impression is he's a fine leader of men and manager of the roster but not a great in-game tactician.

Edited by Mr. Buzzcut, 14 May 2014 - 03:27 PM.

#3 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,277 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:30 PM

How in the world do you let both Schoop (batting .224) and Lough (batting .176) bat down 2 runs with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 8th inning with both Pearce (.271) and Young (.305) sitting on the bench?

That's idiotic.

Edited by Rob, 14 May 2014 - 03:33 PM.

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,397 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:55 PM

this is a fair assessment. the interesting thing about Buck is that he's very vocal about how he likes a versatile team where he can move players in and out of games and situations. but there are so many moments throughout the season where he leaves those pieces on the shelf so that he can follow the rules.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,277 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:03 PM

this is a fair assessment. the interesting thing about Buck is that he's very vocal about how he likes a versatile team where he can move players in and out of games and situations. but there are so many moments throughout the season where he leaves those pieces on the shelf so that he can follow the rules.

Exactly. I really don't understand him at all. He makes himself look like an idiot.

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,397 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:05 PM

Exactly. I really don't understand him at all. He makes himself look like an idiot.

much love and respect to the man, but this is so true. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,277 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:12 PM

And those God-awful press conferences at the end. I can't watch them anymore.

#8 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:15 PM

I can forgive the pinch hitting situations for now, but season 2 of the closer saga is concerning.

#9 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,277 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

You saw how quick Oakland dropped Johnson from the closer's role. How long will it take robo-Buck to do the same?

#10 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,157 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

Does not compute.

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,397 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:26 PM

Does not compute.

I literally laughed out loud when I saw this  :D

#12 SNAFU

SNAFU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

If we fire Buck now, that means we go to the World series next year.

I don't have an 'ignore' list. I don't need no stinkin' list to remind me who I've ignored! I ignore the old-fashioned way.

#13 SNAFU

SNAFU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:35 PM

How in the world do you let both Schoop (batting .224) and Lough (batting .176) bat down 2 runs with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 8th inning with both Pearce (.271) and Young (.305) sitting on the bench?

That's idiotic.

I felt sure he would pinch-hit for Lough, (ok he walked big deal) with either Pearce or Young. After a nice comeback I felt he would give it a shot of tying it up or even going ahead with either Pierce or Young. A HR or a gapper would've done some damage, but we'll never know now. He took that one chance and squashed it.

Edited by SNAFU, 15 May 2014 - 06:34 AM.

I don't have an 'ignore' list. I don't need no stinkin' list to remind me who I've ignored! I ignore the old-fashioned way.

#14 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,976 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 06:54 PM

My impression of Showalter is that he manages more with the long term in mind. So he's willing to keep trotting guys out there to see if they can get it together even if it means poor results in the short term. This can be good and I'm okay with giving guys a chance. Roberts was slow to start last season but Buck stuck with him and he picked it up. The downside is you get stuck watching guys who will never pick it up. Clearly at this point Lough should be a late inning LF defensive replacement and nothing else but it's gonna take longer for that too happen.

#15 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:05 PM

You saw how quick Oakland dropped Johnson from the closer's role. How long will it take robo-Buck to do the same?

Its startling the difference between how Oakland handled that situation and how Buck handled it last year and so far this year. Oakland pulled the rip cord on Johnson immediately when he struggled and replaced him with the more logical strategy of 'go with the hot hand' or closer by committee.

In fact Johnson came in the other night and gave up two hits to two batters and they yanked him.  Could have been a different outcome last night if Buck had Tommy Hunter on a short leash.  Its just so frustrating and alarming that Buck seems to have absolutely zero feel or instincts for this stuff.  

#16 kelsey59

kelsey59

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:07 PM

14 or more years of suckage and the manager turns the team around and makes them interesting.  Now, because they haven't won a championship in his time here people want to throw him under the bus.  That's really sad. 

I am curious who people would replace him with?

#17 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,397 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

14 or more years of suckage and the manager turns the team around and makes them interesting.  Now, because they haven't won a championship in his time here people want to throw him under the bus.  That's really sad. 

I am curious who people would replace him with?

no one is calling for Buck's head. we're simply pointing out the things that seem like obvious flaws in his approach to in-game strategy.

#18 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,937 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:01 PM

It's May and the Tigers are a very good + team. The first 1/3 of the season you are getting a feel for your team, who can do what. Guess how many games Manny, Davis and Matt W. have been in the lineup together-... NONE. And the O's are still in first place with flaws.

There is a reason someone invented the term... BALT-I-MORANS!

#19 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,448 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 09:08 PM

He's little different than most other managers... when the players perform, get clutch hits, get clutch outs, etc... he looks like a genius.  When they don't, he looks like an idiot.  He's neither. 

A couple years ago he chose to give away a game in Boston by sending Chris Davis to the mound to pitch.  Davis pitched two scoreless and they won.  The players bailed him out.  And most of the guys who have helped "turn it around" the last few years were acquired on MacPhail's tab...

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#20 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,397 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:31 AM

It's May and the Tigers are a very good + team. The first 1/3 of the season you are getting a feel for your team, who can do what. Guess how many games Manny, Davis and Matt W. have been in the lineup together-... NONE. And the O's are still in first place with flaws.

There is a reason someone invented the term... BALT-I-MORANS!

to give some context, red sox fans agonize over having one of their relief pitchers go to a full count against the #9 batter, with bases empty and 2 outs, in the bottom of the 9th, when the sox are winning 8-1, and their team has a 12 game lead in the standings in mid-Sept. they care that much about every detail, because the team cares that much. 

I can see how a braves fan could easily placate himself by pointing out that the team is in first place by 1/2 game in mid-May. for the braves, that usually means they're on their way to the playoffs. if things don't always go so well throughout the season, it's really no big deal. because the NL east is a cakewalk division. in any given season it consists of the braves, and at least 3 "also ran" teams. so all the braves have to do is be kinda good, and they'll waltz into October, every year. the AL east doesn't provide that much margin for error. in the infinitely more competitive AL east, you're team is going up against at least 3 other post season contenders. so they need to maximize their chance to win every game. if my understanding of, and reaction to, that truism makes me a moron, I'm ok with that label. it's nice to have games that matter enough to make me frustrated at these details.         

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users