• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:27 PM

It seems to me based off all the guys getting offers... That the Best talent right now in the state is in the 2016 class...

It is loaded... Best being the QB from bullis... Dwayne Haskins JR... Has gotten over 20 offers from all over with in the past few weeks...

Then there is Steven Smothers from Franklyn... Alabama and Florida are two majors on his offer sheet right now...

Anyone else think this is the case or am I getting ahead of myself just alittle ?

#2 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:48 PM

No, the prevailing opinion is that the 2016 class is very strong &.imo stronger than the 2015 class....and you didnt even mention Jordan or Dupree from Gilman, Smothers & Ellis from DM, or the younger Diggs. Both DM and Gilman also both have 2-3 more guys in that class with big time offers.

#3 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,888 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:18 AM

Gilman has Spanellis who has a BIG OFFERS and might end up with the most in the Class. He measured in at 6'5 1/2 and 340 at a combine recently. Has amazing feet, as he's a basketball player. Devery Hamilton has more offers than Spanellis, he's about 6'7 and 290 now. He's a VERY GOOD basketball player and he schools love him. We all know that Jordan Ellison is the best player in the Class. The kid is a monster and the reason he has the nickname of "NFL Bound." I think he will have the same sort of effect that Aaron Donald had on the college game. Dupree has a few offers and Maddox also has offers.

Gilman's 2016 Class is pretty special. DeMatha has a lot of "name" players in their Class but only Lolo Harrison has actually done it on the field. All the Gilman kids have proved it on the field.

By the way, Haskins doesn't have the most offers, Rashaun Smith from St. Frances has the most by far. Now is he the best player in the Class?

#4 aacountyfootball

aacountyfootball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:36 AM

Terrance Davis from DM might have been the best offensive lineman in the WCAC last year. JP Urdiquez is another 2016 offensive tackle from Dematha with a bunch of offers. Tino Ellis, Shane Simmons, Terrance Davis, JP Urdiquez, Lorenzo Harrison and DJ Turner make a very strong class of 2016 for Dematha. This was Coach Brooks first recruiting class. The best player may be a basketball player who has decided to turn his attention to football and play WR. I forget his name but he is turning heads. Gilman and Dematha 2016 class are very good and top heavy, but Good Counsel and St. Johns may have the deepest classes.

I think the 2015 season will be exciting in Maryland. I know Dematha plans to make a national championship run in 2015. Mcdonogh will be down so it will also be Gilman's year to return to MIAA dominance. Good Counsel will be back also.

#5 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

Gilman has Spanellis who has a BIG OFFERS and might end up with the most in the Class. He measured in at 6'5 1/2 and 340 at a combine recently. Has amazing feet, as he's a basketball player. Devery Hamilton has more offers than Spanellis, he's about 6'7 and 290 now. He's a VERY GOOD basketball player and he schools love him. We all know that Jordan Ellison is the best player in the Class. The kid is a monster and the reason he has the nickname of "NFL Bound." I think he will have the same sort of effect that Aaron Donald had on the college game. Dupree has a few offers and Maddox also has offers.

Gilman's 2016 Class is pretty special. DeMatha has a lot of "name" players in their Class but only Lolo Harrison has actually done it on the field. All the Gilman kids have proved it on the field.

By the way, Haskins doesn't have the most offers, Rashaun Smith from St. Frances has the most by far. Now is he the best player in the Class?

yeah I'm aware that smith has the most, but there's also a reasoning did not mention ..

#6 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:47 AM

BREAKING NEWS:  It appears we all agree on something - the 2016 class is loaded.

#7 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,888 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:52 AM

Terrance Davis from DM might have been the best offensive lineman in the WCAC last year. JP Urdiquez is another 2016 offensive tackle from Dematha with a bunch of offers. Tino Ellis, Shane Simmons, Terrance Davis, JP Urdiquez, Lorenzo Harrison and DJ Turner make a very strong class of 2016 for Dematha. This was Coach Brooks first recruiting class. The best player may be a basketball player who has decided to turn his attention to football and play WR. I forget his name but he is turning heads. Gilman and Dematha 2016 class are very good and top heavy, but Good Counsel and St. Johns may have the deepest classes.
I think the 2015 season will be exciting in Maryland. I know Dematha plans to make a national championship run in 2015. Mcdonogh will be down so it will also be Gilman's year to return to MIAA dominance. Good Counsel will be back also.

Don't know why I typed Ellison Jordan's name backwards, had a little top much to drink I guess. I forgot about Squel Davis, he is big time and has proven it on the field. They are both special classes, although Urdiquez wasn't recruited by Brooks, as he is a new transfer from Texas. But word is that he's a special. I truly hope DeMatha and Gilman plays in 2015, that game would be epic!

I'm looking forward to seeing what GC looks like this year. They still have some talent on that squad, they could make some noise in the WCAC. I hear they have a new QB there that might take Castillo's spot. Their issue will be their lines, they lost everybody my except Fullwood.

#8 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,888 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

BREAKING NEWS:  It appears we all agree on something - the 2016 class is loaded.

Lol! Yeah 2016 might be the best Class ever in the Area.

#9 Rob A.

Rob A.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:36 PM

Time will tell!

#10 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,888 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 02:26 AM

Time will tell!

No doubt about that. One thing I'm forecasting is, Maryland won't get most of them. Have already dropped the ball on some of the bigger names. How can Smothers not have an offer from Maryland? What about Antonio Dupree? Dupree just picked up an offer from Ohio State and Maryland joins the Big 10 and they don't even offer a kid in their own backyard but the top program in their new conference does? Just a bootleg program.

#11 Rob A.

Rob A.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

No doubt about that. One thing I'm forecasting is, Maryland won't get most of them. Have already dropped the ball on some of the bigger names. How can Smothers not have an offer from Maryland? What about Antonio Dupree? Dupree just picked up an offer from Ohio State and Maryland joins the Big 10 and they don't even offer a kid in their own backyard but the top program in their new conference does? Just a bootleg program.

Yeah, MD has completely and literally dropped the ball with in state kids, Smothers picks up Bama and MD has yet to offer but who really cares about MD anyway.

#12 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:01 PM

Yeah, MD has completely and literally dropped the ball with in state kids, Smothers picks up Bama and MD has yet to offer but who really cares about MD anyway.

Bama didn't pick up Smothers unless they managed to work out a LOI somewhere.  Now are you all talking about offer? Offer?  Not a LOI but an offer as Allen Iverson would say.  An offer doesn't amount to much.  Besides, Bama is NOTORIOUS in over offering, is it not!!!!  So don't make a big too do about nothing, aka an offer.  And Maryland has tons of in state kids on the roster.  There can only be 85 scholarships and just how many kids in Maryland would give up their parents for adoption to be picked up by the Terps!!!  They can't take them all.

Maryland is and will be just fine...

Edited by DayWalker, 18 May 2014 - 07:04 PM.

#13 Rob A.

Rob A.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 07:36 PM

Bama didn't pick up Smothers unless they managed to work out a LOI somewhere.  Now are you all talking about offer? Offer?  Not a LOI but an offer as Allen Iverson would say.  An offer doesn't amount to much.  Besides, Bama is NOTORIOUS in over offering, is it not!!!!  So don't make a big too do about nothing, aka an offer.  And Maryland has tons of in state kids on the roster.  There can only be 85 scholarships and just how many kids in Maryland would give up their parents for adoption to be picked up by the Terps!!!  They can't take them all.

Maryland is and will be just fine...

Come on day you know the lingo, I was referring to offfers and on the same note there would be a ton of kids giving up parents for adoption just for an offer also to get that scholly you first must have an offer so in the end it amounts to six figures.

#14 Piranha

Piranha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 489 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:28 PM

Had a coach come into our building, and inquire if Terps had offered our 2015 kid. When we said no... He was totally shocked.

#15 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 11:24 PM

Do the math folks.  How many kids in Maryland each year play well enough for D1 level and how many scholarships can Maryland provide?  Do the work in the classroom over the work on the field and kids can pick the school they wish to attend from nearly any in the country rather than the few who would actually provide an offer let alone a freaking scholarship.  But kids and parents expend three - four - fives times the time, effort, and resoures chasing offers.  That's the real shock and not some coach walking into your building to learn that the Terps hadn't offered.  And what type of coach came calling and NOT know the offer status of your 2015 player, assuming he is a stand out player???  And please do not tell me about the six figure athletic college scholarship potential.  Many in the privates spend that in high school.

And Rob A, I understood that you were talking about offers and I responded that Bama routinely offer far far more scholarships than they can provide.  They are as I said, notorious for doing that to include not renewing scholarships when something seemingly better comes along.  And yes I know the lingo; the same lingo that has so many confused like offer meaning picked up or a full free ride, and other "lingo."  It's a dirty business path Maryland may not follow like Bama whose interest is solely Bama football with athletes an expendable commodity to achieve their end..  Again, look at the Terps football roster and count the number of Maryland kids on the team.  For every Maryland kid on the team, 100 others complain that theirs or their favorite isn't.  And for every non-Maryland kid on the team, 200 other Marylanders complain about theirs and their favorites isn't on the team.  Go figure with 85 spots of all the kids across the state and essentially across the nation.

Edited by DayWalker, 20 May 2014 - 05:49 AM.

#16 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 07:23 AM

UMD is just bad under this staff no way around it.  Has nothing to do with how many offers people send out, it's all about relationships with the player, coach, and family.  

Just because Bama, FSU, or some other major player sends out 500 offer there's no way they connect to all these kids.  They're just hoping if plan A or B doesn't work out that there brand is enough for plan c and d.  

UMD's brand works on these kids who are plan E, F, and G for all these other major schools.  And for whatever reason UMD thinks they're a major player and stroll around to the local players and say, "We like you, but hey we’re UMD."

Not sure what they expect over at UMD but they are about to get rolled in the B1G.  These are some numbers I pulled from another post on local recruits I put up.  It’s not the quantity it’s the quality of local kids at UMD.

And and update on the below, of the 8 4* guys half have gave there verbal, 2 to PSU, 1 to S Carolina, 1 to USC. 

Of the UMD top 35 10 have gave their verbal with one going to UMD. 

RM7, on 27 Feb 2014 - 10:51 AM, said:

These are Edsall’s recruiting stats from his arrival in 11 to 14

There have been 6 5* and 24 4* players produced in MD high school football from 11-14.  Only 4 have gone or are going to UMD.

MD high schools have had 115 kids sign with BCS schools, 24 of those went to UMD.  20%

Of the 115 65 went to either a bcs conference or bcs contenders, 8 of those went to UMD. 12%

Dematha, GC, and Gilman had 45 players sign with BCS schools, 7 of those went to UMD.

15%

2015 MD has 8 4* star kids and 2 have already committed to USC and PSU.  Outside of Locksley I don’t see any of the rest going to UMD.

Edited by RM7, 20 May 2014 - 07:25 AM.

#17 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:08 AM

And in the big scheme of things, it just doesn't matter UMD isn't some breeding ground or farm system for the NFL.  That's not the charter of colleges as so many of the PSUs. Bamas, and the like think they are.  And it just doesn't matter that only 15% of DeMatha, GC, and Gilman players signed with Maryland.  Outside of DeMatha, the rest really ain't all that good if the truth is to be told.  Look at the thread of the 2014 NFL draftees and unsigned players.  How many came from Gilman and Good Counsel since you want to talk numbers and percentages and implying superior level of talent Maryland is missing out on.  There were an awful lot of kids in really big time programs to have it all end after five years and one or two years short of degrees.

Personally, I like to see kids go elsewhere --- away from home to broaden their horizon.  I see it as a plus and not the negative you all see it.  If I had a blue chip kid right now, I would encourage him to go away and not because UMD is a junk program.

Edited by DayWalker, 20 May 2014 - 10:12 AM.

#18 aacountyfootball

aacountyfootball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:04 AM

There is not one Dematha player on the Terps roster. 

#19 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,363 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:08 PM

To be fair, DM fell off there for a few years (ie - the current sophs & juniors)

#20 aacountyfootball

aacountyfootball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:21 PM

To be fair, DM fell off there for a few years (ie - the current sophs & juniors)

The class of 2014 was as good as any class to come out of the school and not one of them committed to the Terps. I think they have 18 scholarship kids in that class.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users