#1 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

How long do we have to watch this guy make an out every time he bats? It's been almost 2 months, and if anything, he's getting worse. He doesn't even take walks or bunt his way on. He's an out just about every time he comes up. We really got the bad end of that trade with Kansas City, as Danny Valencia is hitting close to .300. Our guy can't even come close to the .200 mark.

Lough batted an unimpressive .172 in April, going 10 for 58 and only walking 3 times. So what does he do for an encore? He bats even worse in May, batting a woeful .143. He's 2 for 14 in May.

AB    R     H    2B    3B    HR    RBI    BB    SO    SB    CS     OBP     SLG     OPS     AVG

Totals    72    9    12     2     1     0     3      5    15     4     0    .231    .222    .453    .167

*Monthly totals updated nightly.

Data provided by Elias Sports Bureau

Edited by Rob, 16 May 2014 - 12:58 PM.

#2 bleedingorangeandblack

bleedingorangeandblack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,744 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:14 PM

But he can steal bases

Lol
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] O's new slogan

#3 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,174 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

They even keep him a game in so they can protect a two-run deficit.   :confused:

Edited by Mr. Buzzcut, 16 May 2014 - 01:20 PM.

#4 Stoneman

Stoneman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:20 PM

...but he is out-hitting McLouth by 50 pts!! 

I am more than ready to put an end to the Lough experiment - is his defense and speed (though speed pretty much negated with a paltry .231 OBP) worth his anemic batting prowess??   Calling Steve Lombardozzi.... how much do you really lose w/ Lombo?

#5 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,549 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:40 PM

Our lineup has too many struggling pieces, esp. Since we lost the suddenly good batting Weiters.

#6 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

Enough is enough. Lough has proven he belongs in the minor leagues or a permanent spot on the bench.

Edited by Rob, 16 May 2014 - 01:45 PM.

#7 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:46 PM

I never thought we'd find a hitter that was worse than Brandon Fahey.

But we succeeded!! :eek:

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,861 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:47 PM

I have been wondering if he has any options left, so that he can be sent down. I couldn't find a formal source to answer my question. all I could find was a Royals chatboard where a fan said they had to move Lough because he was out of options, and he was the least talented of their OFers.

he's beyond over matched by even marginally talented mlb pitchers. on the rare occasion when he does get on base, he hasn't shown that he's a particularly adept base runner. as for his defense, I haven't seen anything, one way or the other, that tells me he's a plus defender. if I was his teammate, I'd give him a kangaroo court fine for every AB in which he didn't try to lay down a bunt. all weak hitting speedsters try to bunt for a hit. maybe he doesn't know how to bunt. if that's the case, then I'm just throwing in the towel on him. the guy is 28 yrs old. realistically, how much room for improvement is there? he's already into his prime years.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#9 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,549 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:48 PM

I never thought we'd find a hitter that was worse than Brandon Fahey.

But we succeeded!! :eek:

Maybe he needs to be in the lineup daily to get his groove on?

#10 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,549 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:51 PM

http://mlb.com/news/...ok_bal&c_id=bal

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,861 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 01:54 PM

Maybe he needs to be in the lineup daily to get his groove on?

that's a good point. last year, Buck would only allow Valencia to bat against lefties. 2/3rds of the season went by before Buck realized that the DH they had been searching for, was sitting next to him on the bench the whole year. so what do they do? they trade him away for a guy who makes the mendoza line look like the unreachable star. 

Buck does love his lefty-righty match ups  :rolleyes:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#12 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,359 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

that's a good point. last year, Buck would only allow Valencia to bat against lefties. 2/3rds of the season went by before Buck realized that the DH they had been searching for, was sitting next to him on the bench the whole year. so what do they do? they trade him away for a guy who makes the mendoza line look like the unreachable star. 

Buck does love his lefty-righty match ups  :rolleyes:

That trade during the off-season was very surprising to me. With all of our struggles at DH last year, we trade away a guy who hit .308 and who had 8 hr in 160 ab's. I realize that he was pretty much limited to a DH role, but I was expecting something more in that trade than what we got. I don't think KC has had a second of regret over making that swap.

Edited by Gizmo, 16 May 2014 - 06:02 PM.

#13 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 06:05 PM

Lough is out of options.

Positive to take from his May batting line is that his playing time has been reduced.

Edited by Jimmy Jazz, 16 May 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#14 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,034 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 07:15 AM

Waiting for Reimold

#15 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:05 AM

He did bat 286 last year in 90 games.

#16 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 09:41 AM

...but he is out-hitting McLouth by 50 pts!! 

I am more than ready to put an end to the Lough experiment - is his defense and speed (though speed pretty much negated with a paltry .231 OBP) worth his anemic batting prowess??   Calling Steve Lombardozzi.... how much do you really lose w/ Lombo?

I like the kid, but agree it's time for him to be a defensive replacement/pinch runner for awhile.  He did show more stick in KC, but with the offense struggling so much he really sticks out like a sore thumb.  Just can't carry him like we could if we were scoring 5 or 6 runs a game.  So Buck needs to change it up and start playing Young/Pearce in a rotation with Cruz in LF/DH.  Righty/Lefty pitching match-up be damned.  Lough can't hit anybody so try Pearce/Young against all pitching.  Stick Lough in as a defensive replacement in late innings if we have lead.  Geez Buck quit being a moron with your auto button again. Young only leading team in avg and he hardly plays.  Go figure.

And since I'm on a rant about the putrid offense, it's time to cash out second base.  Flaherty is in same boat as Lough.  Get his butt on the bench.  League has caught up to Schoop as his numbers really stink now.  He is only hitting .224 with 34Ks already and his OBP is right with Flaherty.  Send the kid down with Gausman and let them dominate AAA this year.  Bring up Lombo and stick him in at second everyday.  Only O's would send down a guy hitting.292 and playing plus defense.  I think he is hitting .330 something at Norfolk. 

Come on Dan/Buck, this offense needs a jolt. You are getting the pitching now, so shake it up for god's sake!

#17 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,404 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 12:23 PM

He did bat 286 last year in 90 games.

With little power and few walks.

#18 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:29 PM

Enough is enough. This guy is the worst Oriole I have seen in and long long loooooooong time. Just absolutely useless. Terrible. Awful. Horrendous.

DFA him NOW!!!

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,861 posts

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

Enough is enough. This guy is the worst Oriole I have seen in and long long loooooooong time. Just absolutely useless. Terrible. Awful. Horrendous.

DFA him NOW!!!

he makes me miss Pie

#20 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 May 2014 - 07:40 PM

he makes me miss Pie

He makes me miss Brandon Fahey. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users