#1 SNAFU

SNAFU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

Billick deserves to be in Ravens' 'Ring'

By Jamison Hensley | ESPN.com

The Baltimore Ravens announced last week that tight end Todd Heap will be inducted into the team's Ring of Honor this season.

While Heap should receive this honor, there is someone else who deserves to go into the Ring as well -- Brian Billick.

The Ravens need to do the right thing and put Billick's name along the facade of M&T Bank Stadium along with the likes of Jonathan Ogden, Ray Lewis, Jamal Lewis and Matt Stover. Billick turned the Ravens from a losing franchise into a championship one. The Ravens don't win the first Super Bowl in their history in 2000 without Billick changing the entire mindset of that locker room.

Before Billick arrived in January 1999, the Ravens were 16-31-1 in the club's first three seasons under coach Ted Marchibroda. The team never finished higher than fourth in the AFC Central. In nine seasons with Billick, the Ravens reached the playoffs four times, capturing their first Super Bowl title in the 2000 season and winning the AFC North twice (2003 and 2006).

Billick knew the Ravens were talented when he got there, which is why he chose to coach them over the Cleveland Browns. The Ravens had six Pro Bowl players the year before Billick was hired. In one of his first team meetings, he set the tone when he asked them if they wanted to continue to go to Pro Bowls or did they want to win a Super Bowl. An underachieving team with great players soon became a great team with a unified goal.

Critics will say Billick wasn't a great coach in terms of X's and O's. Where Billick excelled was as a master motivator and psychologist. His greatest achievement was keeping the team together in 2000 when the defense was shutting out teams and the offense failed to reach the end zone in five straight games. Not many second-year coaches could have controlled such a delicate situation like Billick.

Teams often take the personality of their coach, and the Ravens certainly did under Billick. He injected swagger and defiance into a team that had no identity. His signature moment came during the 2000 Super Bowl run when the Ravens upset the top-seeded Tennessee Titans. After the game, Billick defended his team’s swagger by exclaiming: "When you go into the lion's den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a *****?'"

There are arguments for why Billick shouldn't be in the Ring of Honor. He didn't win a playoff game in his final six seasons with the Ravens. His accomplishments now pale in comparison to his predecessor John Harbaugh, who is the only coach in NFL history win a playoff game in his first five seasons.

But Heap's records could eventually get broken by Dennis Pitta. Peter Boulware, who is in the Ravens' Ring of Honor, has already watched Terrell Suggs shatter his Ravens' all-time sacks mark.

What can't be erased or downgraded is Billick's impact on a fledgling franchise. Billick deserves to go into the Ring of Honor, but I fear his time will never come.

http://espn.go.com/b...n-ravens-ring  

I don't have an 'ignore' list. I don't need no stinkin' list to remind me who I've ignored! I ignore the old-fashioned way.

#2 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 799 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:58 AM

Yes.

And Jamison needs to learn the difference between predecessor and successor.

#3 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

Maybe.

#4 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,032 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:28 AM

Yes. Yes. Yes!

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,595 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 09:34 AM

I don't get why he's not there already

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,485 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 20 May 2014 - 10:52 AM

bringing home the trophy is a really big accomplishment...really big. but I feel like it was diminished by things like, getting knocked out in the first round against the Colts in 2006. it's a results driven sport, and as a whole, the results are questionable. when you're talking about a ring of honor, shouldn't it be an easy decision?

my memory has gotten foggy, but it seemed like that first championship team had the talent to do better than 1 great run. I trust you guys will set me straight if I'm mistaken about that. for the most part, after that SB run, Billick's playoff appearances were pretty much 1 & done. and as Hensley pointed out, Harbaugh's success doesn't help his case. I know JH has had better teams than BB had, on a year in,year out basis. but doesn't a RoH caliber coach make a team better than the sum of it's parts? wasn't the 2006 team called a favorite to make it to the SB?  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,595 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:20 AM

. I know JH has had better teams than BB had, on a year in,year out basis. but doesn't a RoH caliber coach make a team better than the sum of it's parts?

Totally  disagree. The season after the SB was when Jamal got hurt in the pre season, Searcy went down, and Grbac was a disaster. You have to have the players to win games. If I fault him for anything for that season, it was not starting Randall Cunningham. Your starting RB is down, your starting RT is down, a qb who can make plays out of the pocket would have been ideal. It's possibly hindsight now, but I believe a few years of a Billick team featuring Ray Rice, Joe Flacco, and Torrey Smith over Elvis, Jamal, and Travis Taylor could have quite possibly changed his tenure. The fact that Billick even got to the SB with that revolving cast of reject QBs is nothing short of a miracle. I'm pretty sure Belicheck wouldn't have won multiple SBs with teams starrring Elvis, Scott Mitchell, Kyle Boller, and Anthony Wright

Edited by bmore_ken, 20 May 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#8 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,832 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 11:36 AM

bringing home the trophy is a really big accomplishment...really big. but I feel like it was diminished by things like, getting knocked out in the first round against the Colts in 2006. it's a results driven sport, and as a whole, the results are questionable. when you're talking about a ring of honor, shouldn't it be an easy decision?

my memory has gotten foggy, but it seemed like that first championship team had the talent to do better than 1 great run. I trust you guys will set me straight if I'm mistaken about that. for the most part, after that SB run, Billick's playoff appearances were pretty much 1 & done. and as Hensley pointed out, Harbaugh's success doesn't help his case. I know JH has had better teams than BB had, on a year in,year out basis. but doesn't a RoH caliber coach make a team better than the sum of it's parts? wasn't the 2006 team called a favorite to make it to the SB?  

I've never completely forgiven Billick for the poor coaching job in the second half of that Colts' game, but he did change and establish the culture of the team much for the better, and the Super Bowl win cannot be taken from him. He should be in.

#9 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,186 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:02 PM

Totally  disagree. The season after the SB was when Jamal got hurt in the pre season, Searcy went down, and Grbac was a disaster. You have to have the players to win games. If I fault him for anything for that season, it was not starting Randall Cunningham. Your starting RB is down, your starting RT is down, a qb who can make plays out of the pocket would have been ideal. It's possibly hindsight now, but I believe a few years of a Billick team featuring Ray Rice, Joe Flacco, and Torrey Smith over Elvis, Jamal, and Travis Taylor could have quite possibly changed his tenure. The fact that Billick even got to the SB with that revolving cast of reject QBs is nothing short of a miracle. I'm pretty sure Belicheck wouldn't have won multiple SBs with teams starrring Elvis, Scott Mitchell, Kyle Boller, and Anthony Wright

Grbac over Cunningham at the end of that season was just terrible.

#10 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,046 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 12:17 PM

Billick should be in the Ring of Honor. What percentage of all football head coaches have won the Super Bowl? That to me is the bottom line.

I think he should be in for his vocabulary as well. That guy can talk a storm.

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,485 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:43 PM

yeah Grbac is a sticking point with me. That was BB's boy. bringing in Elvis was all BB's doing. he all but assured us that Elvis was going to make the ravens a repeat champion. and in typical head coach fashion, he wouldn't back down, even after it was crystal clear that Elvis was a disaster. I consider that a strike against him. but overall I sort of posed my opinions as questions, just to be sure I wasn't off base about anything.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,485 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 01:51 PM

Billick should be in the Ring of Honor. What percentage of all football head coaches have won the Super Bowl? That to me is the bottom line.

I think he should be in for his vocabulary as well. That guy can talk a storm.

I hear ya. bringing it all home is a big deal. but that is his only accomplishment. he took a few more teams to the playoffs, but never went deep into the post season. after that first ring, he never sniffed another SB. I feel like there should be more success. otherwise, Dilfer should also be in the RoH since he was the QB for that SB run.  :P

#13 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,595 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

yeah Grbac is a sticking point with me. That was BB's boy. bringing in Elvis was all BB's doing. he all but assured us that Elvis was going to make the ravens a repeat champion. and in typical head coach fashion, he wouldn't back down, even after it was crystal clear that Elvis was a disaster. I consider that a strike against him. but overall I sort of posed my opinions as questions, just to be sure I wasn't off base about anything.

Well it was just my opinion too. I mean if you compare Billick's offensive  rosters to Harbaugh's it breaks out even(Harbaugh gets the edge at receiver, it's about even at rb, and Billick had Sharpe and Heap at TE) except one position. The big difference is at the most important position on the team, which gives the edge to Harbaugh

Edited by bmore_ken, 20 May 2014 - 02:02 PM.

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,485 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

Well it was just my opinion too. I mean if you compare Billick's offensive  rosters to Harbaugh's it breaks out even(Harbaugh gets the edge at receiver, it's about even at rb, and Billick had Sharpe and Heap at TE) except one position. The big difference is at the most important position on the team, which gives the edge to Harbaugh

I agree, Joe makes a big difference. 

#15 SNAFU

SNAFU

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 02:30 PM

I say definately. Put that spear carrying banshee in the ROH!

"When you go in the lion's den, you don't tippy toe in. You carry a spear, you go in screaming like a banshee, you kick whatever doors in, and say, 'Where's the son of a *****!' If you go in any other way you're gonna lose." (Brian Billick)

I don't have an 'ignore' list. I don't need no stinkin' list to remind me who I've ignored! I ignore the old-fashioned way.

#16 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,032 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 06:47 PM

BB always had his players back from Elvis to Ray Lewis. 

#17 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,914 posts

Posted 20 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

Grbac over Cunningham at the end of that season was just terrible.

The defense talked more than they played that day. Pittsburgh's offense put that game away at the half.

#18 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,541 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 06:26 AM

I'm still waiting for Bud to check in on this one.

;)

#19 Deepurple

Deepurple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 03:38 PM

Why not? He was a pretty good head coach. I say yes.

#20 mcorioles

mcorioles

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,624 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 05:16 PM

Yes , and bonus points for putting the pompous *** Dan Patrick in his place.I'm paraphrasing here but during all the SB press meets the continuous questions about Ray's trial kept coming up and Billick in typical fashion had his players back and put a end to it at media day. He said something to the effect of first id like to say we are NOT going to take questions about the trial anymore ,it's been talked about your not going to ask anything that hasn't been asked or uncover any new evidence. Dan Patrick pipes up" Who are you to say what we can and can't ask". Billick replies " Because I have the podium and your here to listen to me".

I have loved the guy ever since.

Edited by mcorioles, 21 May 2014 - 05:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users