Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

http://chicago.cbslo...-in-samardzija/

#2 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,381 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:31 AM

No way I'm trading any one of Bundy, Gausman, or Harvey for a year and a half of Samardzija. 

But that's just me.

If we do, I am not going to be very happy at all.

Edited by Gizmo, 28 May 2014 - 11:41 AM.

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,947 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:25 PM

I'd be surprised if they trade anyone on that list. I wouldn't be upset if they traded Gausman. not to suggest that I've given up on him, I haven't. but he's clearly not mlb ready. furthermore, I feel like the length of time it will take KG to become mlb ready, is longer than the O's window of opportunity with the current team.

I don't see Gausman really sticking with the O's until 2016. Cruz, Wieters, Hardy, Markakis & Davis are all flight risks by then. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 12:41 PM

1-4 with a 1.68 ERA

Poor guy, playing for the Cubs.

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,947 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

1-4 with a 1.68 ERA

Poor guy, playing for the Cubs.

don't worry, that era will go up if he steps into the AL east. playing the bulk of your games in the NL central makes everyone look like a great pitcher. remember what happened to Garza when he left the friendly confines? he was beat around like a plaything when he joined the Rangers. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#6 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,648 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:09 PM

This team is going to be atrociously bad after 2015 when Wieters, Davis, and Hardy are gone, and there isn't any young pitching left because they traded it for guys who have inflated numbers because they play in the NL.

The kids are alright.

#7 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:32 PM

The time is now....... the place is now!!!!!

#8 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:33 PM

And can we acquire 4 other starting pitchers?

Our starters are horrible.

#9 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49,306 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 04:55 PM

Why not? 

The O's need a top of the rotation starter and they don't have the money to spend on Free Agents like Max Scherzer 

Edited by soulflower, 28 May 2014 - 04:56 PM.

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#10 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,648 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

Why not? 

The O's need a top of the rotation starter and they don't have the money to spend on Free Agents like Max Scherzer 

Because one starter isn't going to make this team a WS contender and after this year they're trading Davis Wieters and Samardzija (if they get him) anyway.

The kids are alright.

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,947 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:15 PM

This team is going to be atrociously bad after 2015 when Wieters, Davis, and Hardy are gone, and there isn't any young pitching left because they traded it for guys who have inflated numbers because they play in the NL.

obviously not. did you happen to open the link and read what it said? it's because the O's have a healthy collection of quality pitching prospects that the Cubs are interested in dealing with them. and the article didn't mention Mike Wright. several GMs have been inquiring into his availability. if DD can build a contending O's team once, he can do it again. so even if the O's trade 2 pitchers from that list, they still have a few others.

#12 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,445 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:38 PM

This is such poor reasoning. If all those guys are going to leave then, as Rob says, the time is now.

#13 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 28 May 2014 - 07:50 PM

hogwash

#14 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:19 PM

Because one starter isn't going to make this team a WS contender and after this year they're trading Davis Wieters and Samardzija (if they get him) anyway.

After 31 years of rebuilding shouldn't the Orioles be just 1 player away?

They got lucky with Cruz this year, why waste it, when he could have PED injuries next year

#15 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,035 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:23 PM

obviously not. did you happen to open the link and read what it said? it's because the O's have a healthy collection of quality pitching prospects that the Cubs are interested in dealing with them. and the article didn't mention Mike Wright. several GMs have been inquiring into his availability. if DD can build a contending O's team once, he can do it again. so even if the O's trade 2 pitchers from that list, they still have a few others.

What 'contending team' did Dan build for the Orioles? 1 playoff team 2 years ago? Shouldn't he be building on that team instead of recreating a new each year?

All that has happened is the Orioles have moved from a historically (15 straight losers) bad team to a mediocre, middle of the pack, nondescript team for a penny pinching owner.

#16 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,186 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 11:28 PM

Great, another mediocre pitcher.

Can they trade Cruz to a contender for prospects or can you not trade an FA the season you sign him?

Edited by Mr. Buzzcut, 28 May 2014 - 11:28 PM.

#17 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,445 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:05 AM

Great, another mediocre pitcher.

Can they trade Cruz to a contender for prospects or can you not trade an FA the season you sign him?

They can trade him.

#18 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,186 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:37 AM

They can trade him.

Ah, thanks.

I suppose they'd probably rather wait and get the draft pick when he walks after the season.

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,947 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:12 AM

is it out of the question that the O's would extend Samardzija? 

#20 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:55 PM

With our poor history of pitching prospects, I'd have no problem with them trading some of them.

We thought Matusz was going to be a solid MLB starter. Didn't quite happen.

And don't mention Hobgood.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users