17 replies to this topic

#1 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:04 AM

It certainly can't hurt.  Who loses their spot?

http://espn.go.com/m...antana-rotation

The Baltimore Orioles want Johan Santana to join their rotation, and they've presented the left-hander with a plan to make that happen.

Santana, whose minor league opt-out clause matures on Friday, has been shown a plan that could see him with Baltimore around June 18, according to manager Buck Showalter.

The plan includes one more extended spring training start, a start with Triple-A Norfolk and a start with Double-A Bowie on June 13 before being called up to the majors on June 18 or 19, Showalter told reporters Wednesday.

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 29 May 2014 - 08:35 AM

Tillman is safe, because he's their best pitcher.

Jimenez is safe because he's getting paid too much money to be in the BP

Norris should be safe because he has the best stats of all the O's starters

so it comes down to Chen or Gonzo.

flip a coin, because their numbers are very similar. both have a 1.41 WHIP, both have ~ the same BB to K ratio. the league hits Chen to a .306 avg, & Gonzo at .271. maybe the biggest factor is that Chen averages 5.8 innings a start, while Gonzo is 5.1, and both pitchers tire as the season progresses. 

my guess is that Gonzo moves to the long man role which mercifully moves TJ McFarhits to Norfolk.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:46 AM

Tillman is safe, because he's their best pitcher.

Jimenez is safe because he's getting paid too much money to be in the BP

Norris should be safe because he has the best stats of all the O's starters

so it comes down to Chen or Gonzo.

flip a coin, because their numbers are very similar. both have a 1.41 WHIP, both have ~ the same BB to K ratio. the league hits Chen to a .306 avg, & Gonzo at .271. maybe the biggest factor is that Chen averages 5.8 innings a start, while Gonzo is 5.1, and both pitchers tire as the season progresses. 

my guess is that Gonzo moves to the long man role which mercifully moves TJ McFarhits to Norfolk.

That can work, although with Gausman and Bundy also waiting in the wings I am sensing a trade.

Maybe Gonzolo plus some minor league talent to the Cubs?

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:06 AM

That can work, although with Gausman and Bundy also waiting in the wings I am sensing a trade.

Maybe Gonzolo plus some minor league talent to the Cubs?

I really think Gausman will need significant seasoning. he hasn't quite gotten a handle on the mental part of pitching. so he can only go through the rotation 1 time with any success. by the 4th inning, he's usually in trouble. Bundy is a question mark at this point, remember that it's Feb. 2013 for him. barring unrealistic development, I can't imagine he would be able to take a starting job this season. but the end of this season should tell DD & Buck if he's ready to pitch next year. if so, look for Chen or Gonzo to be moved over the winter.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 pitbull

pitbull

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,290 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:30 AM

if so, look for Chen or Gonzo to be moved over the winter.  

My recollection is that Chen is in the final year of a three-year contract?

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 11:37 AM

My recollection is that Chen is in the final year of a three-year contract?

I looked at his baseball reference page, and it says that he's pre-arb. this year. he's a FA in 2018. but it also says that he signed a 3 yr deal with an option for '15. all that info seems to be at odds with each other. I don't know how he can be both. but I guess the contract takes precedence. 

#7 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,480 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 04:39 PM

Chen will be a free agent if the O's decline the option.

Meanwhile, does it really matter who loses their spot?  Does anyone expect that Santana is going to pitch so well that he cements a spot?  I doubt it.  The O's are at the make a decision stage otherwise Santana will opt out.  Since the current rotation sucks they might as well give him a shot.

#8 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,186 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:05 AM

This Santana thing is another one of those "wouldn't it be great if?!" scenarios this organization seems to rely on.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 09:18 AM

This Santana thing is another one of those "wouldn't it be great if?!" scenarios this organization seems to rely on.

it was a no brainer to bring him in. but as Jimmy alluded to, Santana isn't going to come in and be the ace he once was. if he can out pitch Chen/Gonzo, that will be an improvement.  

#10 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 31 May 2014 - 11:20 PM

My hunch is we'll go to a kind of six man with Norris/gonzo/chen occasionally doing long relief/spot starting.

#11 RIKMAN

RIKMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,949 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 06:21 AM

Is this a contract timing thing for Johan or is he ready?

Chen is a two pitch pitcher. Gonzo is a better starter. I like Chen for the pen but the stats are similar so either is fine since neither can pitch 6 -7 innings.
Baltimore Sports fan since 1965!:cool:

Confusing the delusional with fact since 2005!

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 01 June 2014 - 02:26 PM

Is this a contract timing thing for Johan or is he ready?

Chen is a two pitch pitcher. Gonzo is a better starter. I like Chen for the pen but the stats are similar so either is fine since neither can pitch 6 -7 innings.

my impression is that he truly is ready. the contract clause isn't something the O's or Johan have brought up. it's only being discussed because the media is bringing up.

#13 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,294 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 01 June 2014 - 04:08 PM

my impression is that he truly is ready. the contract clause isn't something the O's or Johan have brought up. it's only being discussed because the media is bringing up.

I think he has only done extended spring training. Would be great to see him get two starts in Norfolk.

#14 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:28 AM

My hunch is we'll go to a kind of six man with Norris/gonzo/chen occasionally doing long relief/spot starting.

I thought along these lines as well.  Gonzo and Chen especailly both seem to need more rest than the other starters, and throwing in the occasional 6th starter should get them that rest.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:45 AM

I thought along these lines as well.  Gonzo and Chen especailly both seem to need more rest than the other starters, and throwing in the occasional 6th starter should get them that rest.

I totally agree

#16 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,057 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 11:19 AM

I always liked Jeff Beck more. Ha ha

#17 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 01:04 PM

I always liked Jeff Beck more. Ha ha

You're getting Johan confused with this guy.

Edited by Thirteen, 03 June 2014 - 01:04 PM.

#18 Tootsie

Tootsie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 07 June 2014 - 03:43 AM

Too bad Santana is out for the year with a torn Achilles

http://espn.go.com/m...achilles-season

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users