• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,690 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 06:48 PM

If so, how is it? Do you have to dump windows to use it? I have an older laptop with XP don't want to pay for new pc or upgrade- couldn't upgrade above 7 anyway  but only need it for basics- e-mail, little bit of net surf, word processing, and you tube. Was thinking about trying linux

#2 Flu

Flu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

I've been using Linux for years. Most of the time I'd rather use it than Windows. I don't even run anti virus on my linux machines. I've tried at least 50 different Linux distros over the years. In my opinion one of the best Linux's to use if you are switching from windows is Zorin OS. Zorin has made itself look almost identical to Windows 7 to help people ease themselves into Linux. Just about every driver needed is included right on the dvd that you burn from the iso download. You don't even have to wipe out Windows you can dual boot it if you want. You boot up with the DVD then when you go to install it gives you the option to take over the whole hard drive or to dual boot it. There is an office suite included and most of the time it will find the right printer driver for you. If you want to give it a try I'd suggest the Zorin OS as the best one to start with.

:cool:

Flu

What is a veteran? This is the best definition I've found:

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount 'up to and including my life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer can conceptualize it."

#3 canis

canis

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,966 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 07:58 AM

Agree!  Zorin OS 8 in default mode like Windows 7 is outstanding.

http://zorin-os.com/free8.html

#4 kelsey59

kelsey59

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:10 PM

If so, how is it? Do you have to dump windows to use it? I have an older laptop with XP don't want to pay for new pc or upgrade- couldn't upgrade above 7 anyway  but only need it for basics- e-mail, little bit of net surf, word processing, and you tube. Was thinking about trying linux

You can try out many if the distributions, by downloading and burning a live CD.  Basically, the OS runs off the CD or DVD.  It doesn't mess with your current system at all. Since you are not familiar with LInux I would suggest Ubuntu. But there are probably close to 100 different versions.

Here is a link to how to try Ubuntu before you install.
http://www.ubuntu.co...ore-you-install

#5 Bartman

Bartman

General Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,121 posts
  • LocationBaltimore City

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:58 AM

Well, my OLD Gateway was at least 15yrs old, probably older and only had a 20Gb HD so last April I looked around on Ebay to see what was out there as far as Refurbed laptops. I stumbled acroaa Dell's own Ebay Refurb store and grabbed a 14" Latitude E5400 for like $180 something. (You have to get to know When to hit the button with your Max Bid at the last 10-15 seconds!) Intel Core Duo at 2.26Ghz, 3MB RAM and 150Gig HD, built in WiFi, running Vista. I was surprised when I took it out of the box that other than the refurb sticker on the bottom, I couldn't tell it from a New one. So the old Gateway is retired now and that's a shame as it was the only machine I had that would still run my old Command & Conquer Gold!

http://stores.ebay.c...nancial/Laptops

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Don't try to tell me that what I see with my own two eyes ISN'T what I'm seeing with my own two eyes!

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,690 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:42 AM

Well, my OLD Gateway was at least 15yrs old, probably older and only had a 20Gb HD so last April I looked around on Ebay to see what was out there as far as Refurbed laptops. I stumbled acroaa Dell's own Ebay Refurb store and grabbed a 14" Latitude E5400 for like $180 something. (You have to get to know When to hit the button with your Max Bid at the last 10-15 seconds!) Intel Core Duo at 2.26Ghz, 3MB RAM and 150Gig HD, built in WiFi, running Vista. I was surprised when I took it out of the box that other than the refurb sticker on the bottom, I couldn't tell it from a New one. So the old Gateway is retired now and that's a shame as it was the only machine I had that would still run my old Command & Conquer Gold!

Here ya go Bart

http://www.gamestop....llection/104614

$20 and runs on my Windows 8 machine

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#7 kelsey59

kelsey59

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,477 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:17 AM

Install visualization software and install an older version of Windows. Vitualbox or vmware player are both free. You can run windows 98 or whatever OS you want from your current system and still be able to run your game.

I have Mac and use visualization to run old PC games. I have Windows 98, Windows XP, and Windows 7, along with assorted Linux versions all running on it.

Edited by kelsey59, 14 June 2014 - 11:20 AM.

#8 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,690 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 09:48 PM

Thanks all-- I'm going to try Ubuntu-- had trouble downloading and burning a disc ( too many variables to mess with, could have been hardware, drivers, disc burner program, or even a bad  blank disc) so I bought an Ubuntu disc off e-bay for $4.44  w/free shipping, which is almost the cost of a blank dvd I guess so if it works, it'll be worth it. For some reason, I've never had success with booting from a usb device, so I prefer a disc..

Edited by Saticon3, 16 June 2014 - 09:49 PM.

#9 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,690 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:41 AM

Now running Ubuntu!

Bought a really good Dell for $25, was cheap because it lacked a hard drive, then I got a HD from e-bay for $15 and an Ubuntu disc included in Ubuntu User magazine and all is looking good. If it keeps up I'll go   back and change my older machines to Ubuntu- one is a non-PAE whatever that means so I'll have to apprently drop back to Ubuntu 12 for that one but still seems good.

#10 karlydee

karlydee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,465 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:38 AM

you can run a layer called cygwin on your windows machine and then access a networked linux machine or access a linux partition

#11 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,690 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

Karly, whatever you said is way over my head!

I'm still liking Ubuntu as its allowing a couple of computers here to still be functioning, whereas without the linux they would be unusable to me.

Some of the games my youger kids play won't work on it-- and I find that searching for solutions is much more muddled than with windows, I mean usually with windows after a bit of searching I can find some sort of solutuion that I can half way understand, but on the linux boards, everybody seems to talk like Karly :)  and instead of programs, I'm advised that I can get source codes and stuff like that. But, Ubuntu does everything I need to do, maye I'll just let the kids have the Win7 and I'll take the ubuntu one for myself,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users