Ubaldo

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,646 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:22 AM

a week into the 3rd month of the season, and this guy is still killing the O's. the mlb industry considers a quality start to be 6 inning with 3 or less earned runs. 

in 13 starts, UJ has 3 that qualify as quality starts. there were 2 more in which he pitched 6 innings and gave up 4 earned runs. I'm a generous guy, so I'll credit him with 5 QSs. that's still not good. 

the interesting thing is that people say things like "if the team can just get to the 2nd half of the season, things will be ok, because that's when UJ will take off" one of the MASN dweebs actually said that after yesterday's game. it's almost a direct quote. I can dismiss their comments, because I understand that King Pete makes them say that stuff. but some fans seem to be under the impression that it's a forgone conclusion that he's going to turn it on after the AS break. I hear people talk about him as if he has a switch, and after the AS break, he flips it to "on".  

I hope they're right. I hope I can look back on the 2014 season and say, "boy, I was wrong. I'm so glad they signed him to a long contract"

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#2 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:40 AM

He has a history of being streaky. He has also had seasons where he stunk all season I believe. What can we do but hope? He's here for awhile.

Jimenez career stats

I heard an interesting comparison on 105.7FM this morning. The Orioles don't have a starting pitcher with an ERA less than 4.2. Oakland doesn't have a starting pitcher with an ERA over 3.7. Their worst guy is .5 better than our best guy. That takes its toll.

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,646 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:53 AM

it's still very early, but Oakland looks like they finally have a team that can go all the way to the WS. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,264 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:03 AM

His walk numbers are up this year which is especially bad for Orioles pitchers.

#5 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,143 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:42 AM

I thought he was one of the "good" signings, and it may turn out better in the long run. However, I also was not overwelmed with the Nelson Cruz signing either. It sure shows you what I know. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#6 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,586 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

It's almost like the team isn't that good.

The kids are alright.

#7 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,536 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:06 AM

His signing reminded be a LOT of the Millwood move a few years back at the time they did it.  Albeit Millwood was a little older at the time, but Ubaldo was hitting 30, so he's exactly not on the upside of his career.  Both had been mediocre to flat out bad for 5/6 ths of the previous 3 years.  Each had one solid half of a season, and 5 "not good" halves around it.  I don't know, but that combination gives me little reason to believe the one good half year should outweigh the 5 bad ones.  Don't expect the exception to become the rule.  And the fact they more or less set a club record for contract to a pitcher, for him... eeesh.  Doesn't bode well to me.  But I hope I'm wrong...

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#8 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,899 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

A while back I posted a Fangraphs article that focused on Ubaldo's velocity problems. Basically he's not a very good pitcher when he isn't averaging 94-96 mph on his fastball.

As for the signing, the Os wanted a bargain and they got one. Sometimes bargain shopping doesn't work out. If the Os want an Ace, they will need to go after someone like Scherzer or go the international free agent route(ie Darvish or Tanaka).
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,646 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:28 AM

A while back I posted a Fangraphs article that focused on Ubaldo's velocity problems. Basically he's not a very good pitcher when he isn't averaging 94-96 mph on his fastball.

As for the signing, the Os wanted a bargain and they got one. Sometimes bargain shopping doesn't work out. If the Os want an Ace, they will need to go after someone like Scherzer or go the international free agent route(ie Darvish or Tanaka).

I agree. it seems like DD thought he figured out a way to sign an Ace for middle of the rotation money.  

#10 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,899 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:35 AM

I agree. it seems like DD thought he figured out a way to sign an Ace for middle of the rotation money.

It was a good gamble given UJs 2013 performance but those types of deals don't always work out. Oakland lucked out with their signing of Kazmir, who has had his own issues with inconsistency the past few years.

#11 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

Highly Sophisticated Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,572 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:38 AM

His mechanics are all out of whack. Something has GOT to be done because I get very tired of his DCab walk rate.

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,646 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:40 AM

It was a good gamble given UJs 2013 performance but those types of deals don't always work out. Oakland lucked out with their signing of Kazmir, who has had his own issues with inconsistency the past few years.

as I've said before, I thought the signing was a good deal because they only gave him #3 - #4 $$$. I figured he would easily provide that kind of production. but so far he hasn't even given them that much. he doesn't look like a guy that should be in the rotation.   

#13 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,646 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:43 AM

His mechanics are all out of whack. Something has GOT to be done because I get very tired of his DCab walk rate.

I have no idea why Colorado allowed him to develop or stick with that delivery. it's just got too many moving parts to it.  

#14 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,586 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 10:54 AM

They didn't luck out.  They have excellent talent evaluators, excellent coaches, and know how to get the most out of their pitching.  Think it's a coincidence that Colon was excellent there and now is mediocre?  How about the pipeline of arms they bring up who just never, ever seem to miss?  It's not luck - it's ability.

The kids are alright.

#15 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,899 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:00 AM

They didn't luck out. They have excellent talent evaluators, excellent coaches, and know how to get the most out of their pitching. Think it's a coincidence that Colon was excellent there and now is mediocre? How about the pipeline of arms they bring up who just never, ever seem to miss? It's not luck - it's ability.

No doubt. Oakland has excellent scouts and a smart front office. That's a factor too. But it didn't stop them from signing Jim Johnson. Sometimes these signings work out and sometimes they don't.

A lot of teams didn't think much of Kazmir before this year

#16 Buford

Buford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,809 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 11:15 AM

He reminds me of PAAAAAAAAYYYYYDRO!!! Strop...

He falls apart quickly...

Of course Pedro would fall apart as soon as he took the mound and didn't get a close strike call..

Awesomeness - An unmeasurable amount of awesomenimity something can produce

#17 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,306 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:18 PM

Even if he does turn it around down the stretch all he'll be doing is climbing out of the hole he dug. This guy sucks.

#18 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:29 PM

He sure sucked yesterday. I almost found his giving up two grand slams in one inning funny.

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,646 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 12:42 PM

He sure sucked yesterday. I almost found his giving up two grand slams in one inning funny.

it kills me when Buck leaves a guy in too long. and after the horse is out of the barn, he decides to make a pitching change. lets be honest, Oakland wasn't going to give up 7+ runs, no matter how many innings they had left. leave UJ in and save the BP some innings. 

Buck was given the greatest gift a manager could ever get, he was given an in-game crystal ball and shown the future when that grand slam was reversed. so he decides to leave UJ for another GS. I remember a game against the yankees in NY, I think it was last season. the O's jumped all over Nova in the first inning or two. I think they got 6 runs off of him. Girardi left him in there, and I remember thinking, that's a great move. for the reason I mentioned above. 

#20 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,899 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

Looks like he's getting into mid season form. Last night's start was pretty impressive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users