• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 omarrahman

omarrahman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:18 AM

i can understand now why the owner is hesitant to give 4 year contracts to pitchers. they still owe this dude over 40 million. he has just been bad. first 8 game loser in majors. walks five and seems happy he performed well. 

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:13 PM

I gather that you're talking about Ubaldo Jimenez. here are a few things to consider. W-L records are a team stat that tells almost nothing about how well a pitcher has performed. he's being paid money that is on par with #3-4 pitchers. also, it's half way through the 1st year of his contract. he certainly has had a rough start, but that doesn't mean this is who he will be for the full length of his time with the O's. as for last night, he had a quality start. that's all you can ask of him. he doesn't bat, so he can't be held accountable for the team getting shut out. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 omarrahman

omarrahman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:10 PM

I gather that you're talking about Ubaldo Jimenez. here are a few things to consider. W-L records are a team stat that tells almost nothing about how well a pitcher has performed. he's being paid money that is on par with #3-4 pitchers. also, it's half way through the 1st year of his contract. he certainly has had a rough start, but that doesn't mean this is who he will be for the full length of his time with the O's. as for last night, he had a quality start. that's all you can ask of him. he doesn't bat, so he can't be held accountable for the team getting shut out. 

486 era and 151 whip r individual stats and he would be in the minors if he was named gonzales or chen. feldmans a 3 or 4 and makes 10m for three,  jimenez got 12.5 for 4. the Os gave him #2 money. jason hammel is making 6m for 1 year. hes a legit 3 or 4. guthrie is a 3 or 4 and he got 25m for 3. 

Edited by omarrahman, 14 June 2014 - 04:23 PM.

#4 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,938 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 04:46 PM

486 era and 151 whip r individual stats and he would be in the minors if he was named gonzales or chen. feldmans a 3 or 4 and makes 10m for three,  jimenez got 12.5 for 4. the Os gave him #2 money. jason hammel is making 6m for 1 year. hes a legit 3 or 4. guthrie is a 3 or 4 and he got 25m for 3. 

Guthrie and Hammel aren't legit.
If they were, they would still be here.
Hammel couldn't stay on the field with the O's, and he will be injured before the end of the season, regardless of what team he is playing on.
Guthrie was shipped because he is a wuss, and only worried about his own career. Kaufmann stadium is a nice place to pad the stats, so he can stay there. Feldman was signed to be the ace of the Astros rotation, and he doesn't have the upside of Jimenez.
The O's took a good gamble, and they will reap the benefits sooner than later from this sign.

Edited by Far from home, 14 June 2014 - 04:46 PM.

Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 16 June 2014 - 06:19 AM

provide the list of #2 pitchers who signed a free agent contract with an AAV of $12.5M to be a #2. $12.5M is not #2 money. if you want to dismiss UJ as a total failure after 3 months, have at it. but don't try to sell this as an epic investment that is a total mistake after just 3 months. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users