• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:36 PM

Matt to have reconstructive (Tommy John) surgery tomorrow.

Not unexpected, but very unfortunate for the O's and especially Matt who had gotten off to a good start this year.  Estimated nine month recovery time.

LINK

Edited by Gizmo, 16 June 2014 - 11:19 PM.

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:39 PM

I figured this is where it was all leading, so I've sort of come to terms with it already.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,352 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:48 PM

I figured this is where it was all leading, so I've sort of come to terms with it already.

Same here

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#4 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 04:55 PM

Sad and a blow to the team....

#5 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 07:09 PM

Now we get Caleb Joseph for the rest of the season! Woohoo!

#6 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,480 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 08:07 PM

That really sucks.

Something must be done.  Joseph is terrible.

Edited by Jimmy Jazz, 16 June 2014 - 08:07 PM.

#7 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 16 June 2014 - 10:44 PM

Sad Matt is out but Josesh isn't the problem. Pitching is. Staff is filled which #3 starters.

#8 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:20 AM

Sad Matt is out but Josesh isn't the problem. Pitching is. Staff is filled which #3 starters.

He may not be THE problem, but he is A problem.

#9 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:02 AM

I just posted this on another thread, but it applies here as well.  Whether you like the term or not, the O's staff has provided 10 "quality starts" in the last 11 games.  Our record is 5-6 over that span.  That's not indicative of pitching being the problem.

#10 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,352 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:32 AM

I just posted this on another thread, but it applies here as well.  Whether you like the term or not, the O's staff has provided 10 "quality starts" in the last 11 games.  Our record is 5-6 over that span.  That's not indicative of pitching being the problem.

That's because pitching isn't the problem. Chen just went 6 2/3 only giving up 3 runs on 6 hits. The reality is if you leave 15 runners on base with 4 players accounting for 12 of the 15, you're going to lose most of those games. The starters aren't lights out, but counting Gausman we have 3 starters with ERAs under 4. You're supposed to win most of those games.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:52 AM

I like the term quality starts. it's a fair and equal plane to gauge a pitchers performance in that game. ERA, WHIP, etc are broader scales to grade the pitcher over the long haul.

based on an article in the Sun, the plan is to get Clevenger's defensive stats up to mlb average, then call him up to take over the day to day job. he's hitting .404, so he has a bat. but he's pretty bad behind the plate.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#12 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:25 AM

I like the term quality starts. it's a fair and equal plane to gauge a pitchers performance in that game. ERA, WHIP, etc are broader scales to grade the pitcher over the long haul.

based on an article in the Sun, the plan is to get Clevenger's defensive stats up to mlb average, then call him up to take over the day to day job. he's hitting .404, so he has a bat. but he's pretty bad behind the plate.  

He looked real uncomfortable behind the plate, especially when trying to catch base stealers. But then, he's only been catching for a few years. AND, I'll take a bat at that position right now versus better defense, because we sure as hell need it.

#13 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:26 AM

Here's my question on that...Are Joseph's & Lough's defensive abilities so strong that their offensive disabilities should be overlooked?  In other words, would Clevenger and Pearce/Young give up more runs in the field than Joseph & Lough give up at the plate?  I don't see how it's even possible for that to be the case.

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 09:51 AM

Here's my question on that...Are Joseph's & Lough's defensive abilities so strong that their offensive disabilities should be overlooked?  In other words, would Clevenger and Pearce/Young give up more runs in the field than Joseph & Lough give up at the plate?  I don't see how it's even possible for that to be the case.

IMO, Lough is a waste of a roster spot. if Lough isn't in the line up, it mitigates the overall weakness of the bottom of the order. 2 light hitters is easier to success with, than 3. he brings nothing to the team that isn't already there. he isn't a defensive wizard. he's good, not outstanding. I would rather see Pearce get the ABs. the defense won't suffer with Pearce. I watch most of the games, and so far, Pearce and Young haven't been in a situation where they were unable to get to a ball during an important time in the game. I would outright Lough. if he gets an offer to move on, or just doesn't want to accept a minor league assignment, then good luck to him in all his future endeavors.   

Joseph is a little more tricky to answer definitively. a defensive catcher is really important, because he's involved with every pitch. and he can really influence the game with framing pitches and calling pitch sequences. that stuff doesn't show up in the stats, but they are an important undercurrent of the game.

Schoop is just a work in progress. there are better bats, but by dealing with the growing pains now, he will be a solid contributor sooner rather than later.  

Edited by weird-O, 17 June 2014 - 09:55 AM.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:41 PM

Brit said the surgery was successful. he had the transplant, a nerve was moved and a bone spur was shaved down. here's the wild part. the whole procedure took less than 1/2 hour  :o

modern medicine is wild.

#16 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 03:53 PM

Brit said the surgery was successful. he had the transplant, a nerve was moved and a bone spur was shaved down. here's the wild part. the whole procedure took less than 1/2 hour  :o

modern medicine is wild.

A year and half or so ago, my father-in-law had neck surgery at Harbor Hospital.  Dr. LeAnne Curl's (Raven's team ortho doctor) happened to be doing surgeries that day, too.  While we were waiting for dad, she was in and out of the waiting room so many times, telling people's families things went well, I lost count.  It seemed like every 45 minutes she had another surgery done.

Edited by Thirteen, 17 June 2014 - 03:54 PM.

#17 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

A year and half or so ago, my father-in-law had neck surgery at Harbor Hospital.  Dr. LeAnne Curl's (Raven's team ortho doctor) happened to be doing surgeries that day, too.  While we were waiting for dad, she was in and out of the waiting room so many times, telling people's families things went well, I lost count.  It seemed like every 45 minutes she had another surgery done.

that's pretty cool that it can be done so quickly. of course, he rehab is a real journey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users