• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 m3tan

m3tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 12:10 PM

Why on earth isn't he starting at 2B, or in the least on the major league roster??? Right now he's tearing it up in AAA with a .411 OBP, and most importantly 28 BB in 137 AB. He's also versatile as he can fill in at SS or OF and pinch hit LH or RH. Between him, Schoop, Flaherty, and Lombardozzi, he is the most established major leaguer. He is not known for his defense but is adequate. He's easily the most dynamic offense player of the lot. He can hit from both sides of the plate, gets on base, and steals bases - all things the O's desperately need. If you asked me what the most obvious need for the Orioles other than a catcher, which they are not actively pursuing, it would be a 2B/OF who can get on base and steal bases. We already have him at Norfolk...

I mean seriously, what blackmail material does Ryan Flaherty have on Showalter and/or Duquette that guarantees that guy a roster spot... Weeks has performed exactly as advertised, if not better, so why hasn't he been given a shot? What was the point of trading away an established major league closer if you were strictly seeking organizational depth at 2B...

Edited by m3tan, 24 June 2014 - 12:11 PM.

#2 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:06 PM

I'm just not impressed with Flaherty.

#3 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:32 PM

Agree.  What the Orioles desperately need is a playmaker type to add to what is a somewhat immobile lineup... a guy who can get on base and has some speed and can make things happen.  I was hoping they would call Lombardozzi back up but didn't realize Weeks was doing so well in Norfolk.

I guess what makes it a tough call is that each 2nd base option (Schoop, Flaherty, Weeks, Lombardozzi) adds an element the other doesn't. 

But yea to trade Johnson and not get a player who can impact the team immediately is a curious decision.  

Edited by BayAreaBmore, 24 June 2014 - 02:33 PM.

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:39 PM

Why on earth isn't he starting at 2B, or in the least on the major league roster??? Right now he's tearing it up in AAA with a .411 OBP, and most importantly 28 BB in 137 AB. He's also versatile as he can fill in at SS or OF and pinch hit LH or RH. Between him, Schoop, Flaherty, and Lombardozzi, he is the most established major leaguer. He is not known for his defense but is adequate. He's easily the most dynamic offense player of the lot. He can hit from both sides of the plate, gets on base, and steals bases - all things the O's desperately need. If you asked me what the most obvious need for the Orioles other than a catcher, which they are not actively pursuing, it would be a 2B/OF who can get on base and steal bases. We already have him at Norfolk...

I mean seriously, what blackmail material does Ryan Flaherty have on Showalter and/or Duquette that guarantees that guy a roster spot... Weeks has performed exactly as advertised, if not better, so why hasn't he been given a shot? What was the point of trading away an established major league closer if you were strictly seeking organizational depth at 2B...

Johnson was traded as a salary dump, nothing more. personally, I wouldn't get to excited about how Weeks is performing right now. Norfolk isn't MLB. and he has a long enough track record that it's not unfair of any manager to give up on him. I don't see any history of Weeks at SS. and it's well known that Flaherty has been given the bench job because, of all the options, RF is the player that Buck feels is most capable of handling SS duties if need be. he isn't going to replace Schoop, because JS is the 2bman of the future. there's no sense in stunting his growth for a player like Weeks.    

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:45 PM

But yea to trade Johnson and not get a player who can impact the team immediately is a curious decision.  

With that said the Johnson trade was probably more about getting rid of his salary than it was about trying to land a specific type of player 

#6 m3tan

m3tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:38 PM

Johnson was traded as a salary dump, nothing more. personally, I wouldn't get to excited about how Weeks is performing right now. Norfolk isn't MLB. and he has a long enough track record that it's not unfair of any manager to give up on him. I don't see any history of Weeks at SS. and it's well known that Flaherty has been given the bench job because, of all the options, RF is the player that Buck feels is most capable of handling SS duties if need be. he isn't going to replace Schoop, because JS is the 2bman of the future. there's no sense in stunting his growth for a player like Weeks.    

Yes Johnson was a salary dump but Weeks isn't chopped liver. He struggled last year, but hit over .300 two years ago. I had no qualms with him starting the year in AAA, but considering everyone they've tried at 2B has been dreadful, it makes no sense when he's tearing it up in AAA. Yes Norfolk is not MLB but he's clearly back on track after struggling last year. He's likely to post about a .340 OBP if they gave him an extended trial. On this team, that's like Kevin Youklis level patience...

Considering that 3 other positions have been a black hole offensively, the Orioles cannot afford to have a prospect like Schoop on pace to strike out 150 times with little power, when they have a very serviceable alternative rotting away in AAA. Keeping Flaherty on the roster to play SS is just dumb - if that's the reason. It's not like Hardy is a subpar defender you want to replace in the late innings. Flaherty would get 1-2 starts at SS the entire season unless Hardy is hurt or seriously slumping...

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:27 AM

Yes Johnson was a salary dump but Weeks isn't chopped liver. He struggled last year, but hit over .300 two years ago. I had no qualms with him starting the year in AAA, but considering everyone they've tried at 2B has been dreadful, it makes no sense when he's tearing it up in AAA. Yes Norfolk is not MLB but he's clearly back on track after struggling last year. He's likely to post about a .340 OBP if they gave him an extended trial. On this team, that's like Kevin Youklis level patience...

Considering that 3 other positions have been a black hole offensively, the Orioles cannot afford to have a prospect like Schoop on pace to strike out 150 times with little power, when they have a very serviceable alternative rotting away in AAA. Keeping Flaherty on the roster to play SS is just dumb - if that's the reason. It's not like Hardy is a subpar defender you want to replace in the late innings. Flaherty would get 1-2 starts at SS the entire season unless Hardy is hurt or seriously slumping...

consider the context of his .300 season. it was his rookie year. many rookies come up and make a big splash, then the league adjusts and they regress. the good players adjust back. Weeks didn't. his .300 BA dropped to .221 the following year, then to .111 the year after that, in the handful of games he played. also, he played less than 100 games the year he hit .303, that's less than 2/3rds of a season. it was still impressive, but not as impressive as the players who put up those #s over 162. even more so, he has yet to get back there. and Oak is known for giving their young players a chance to develop.

there's no argument that Flaherty is a waste of a roster spot. and like it or not, he is only there as an emergency back up should Hardy get hurt or need a day off.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#8 aurelius

aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:42 AM

I like Flaherty. I think he needs to be out there every day. Give him the starting job and let him sink or swim. Then fish or cut bait. You know... all the cliches they like to use.

I think young players deserve more of a commitment. Remember the orioles once had Jose Bautista on their roster but they never gave him a chance to play every day before letting him go. I'm not saying Flaherty is that kind of player. I just don't understand why they pick a guy off another team's roster and screw around. You might as well not even pick him.

#9 Buford

Buford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:48 AM

Jemile Weeks belongs at 2nd base because he has great dreadlocks...

Major league hair!

Awesomeness - An unmeasurable amount of awesomenimity something can produce

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:30 AM

I like Flaherty. I think he needs to be out there every day. Give him the starting job and let him sink or swim. Then fish or cut bait. You know... all the cliches they like to use.

I think young players deserve more of a commitment. Remember the orioles once had Jose Bautista on their roster but they never gave him a chance to play every day before letting him go. I'm not saying Flaherty is that kind of player. I just don't understand why they pick a guy off another team's roster and screw around. You might as well not even pick him.

Flaherty isn't a young player. and he's been given plenty of chances, both here and in Chicago. he's not a mlb caliber player. Schoop is the player of the future. and since he's as good as RF on both sides of the game, there's no reason to push him aside.

#11 aurelius

aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 11:59 AM

Not trying to be snarky but when was RF given the full time job and allowed to play the majority of the season? I recall last year as soon as he started playing well, they kicked him to the curb in favor of Roberts.

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

Not trying to be snarky but when was RF given the full time job and allowed to play the majority of the season? I recall last year as soon as he started playing well, they kicked him to the curb in favor of Roberts.

I didn't take your question as snarky  ;)

it was at the beginning of this year that he was given a fulltime job. but he was hitting so miserably, Buck had to get him out of there asap. believe me, I was one of the fans asking why RF wasn't given a fair chance to work through the bad times last year. but he was absolutely given the chance this year. as an every day player, he hit .188 thru the month of April. Schoop hit .241, that isn't lighting up the league, but when you're a 27+ yr old journeyman, and the rookie, player of the future is outclassing you with his glove and bat, you aren't keeping your everyday job. to make matters worse, Lombardozzi was hitting almost .300 over that same span of time.

so the real question isn't, "why doesn't RF get a chance". it's "why is RF even on this team when Lombo hit over .100 pts higher". it's criminal that Lombo isn't with the O's. 

this isn't 2010. the O's are trying to win something this season, and they have a real chance to do it. now is not the time to give a 27+ yr old back up player the f/t job. 

#13 aurelius

aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:16 PM

It's not criminal if they think RF is a better player than Lombo (as they must believe). Sample size matters. :)

Edited by aurelius, 25 June 2014 - 02:17 PM.

#14 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,774 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 02:18 PM

It's not criminal if they think RF is a better player than Lombo (as they must believe). Sample size matters. :)

I can't spell lombo's name either. :)
I would like to see him up here, I feel like Matt has had his chance.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 06:49 AM

that's true, and Lombardozzi has a more established track record of better offensive production. he also has the ability to play all the same defensive positions as RF. I'm not sure what factors Buck used to make his decision between RF & SL. it's clear that he isn't basing it exclusively on offensive stats.   

#16 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,899 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:03 AM

Jemile Weeks career minors stats: .282/.378/.402
career major league stats: ..219/.319/.357

That is probably why.

Who's to say that he won't get a shot? Right now, there's nothing that anyone can do to stop Buck's love for Flaherty.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#17 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 26 June 2014 - 08:52 PM

Flahtery's on the team because he's very good defensively and can play SS. He's a disaster as a hitter.

If Weeks can actually play short stop I'd send Flahtery packing.

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:30 AM

Flahtery's on the team because he's very good defensively and can play SS. He's a disaster as a hitter.

If Weeks can actually play short stop I'd send Flahtery packing.

his baseball ref page has no reference to his ever playing SS. that doesn't mean he can't, but it seems he hasn't played that position at the mlb level.

#19 m3tan

m3tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:05 PM

consider the context of his .300 season. it was his rookie year. many rookies come up and make a big splash, then the league adjusts and they regress. the good players adjust back. Weeks didn't. his .300 BA dropped to .221 the following year, then to .111 the year after that, in the handful of games he played. also, he played less than 100 games the year he hit .303, that's less than 2/3rds of a season. it was still impressive, but not as impressive as the players who put up those #s over 162. even more so, he has yet to get back there. and Oak is known for giving their young players a chance to develop.

there's no argument that Flaherty is a waste of a roster spot. and like it or not, he is only there as an emergency back up should Hardy get hurt or need a day off.  

Give me a f'in break on saying he hit .111 his third year. It was 9 AB... You lost credibility with me when you cite nonsense like that to back you argument. You should have left it at he made a splash as a rookie and he had a sub-par sophomore year but was never really given another shot after that...

#20 m3tan

m3tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:16 PM

Jemile Weeks career minors stats: .282/.378/.402
career major league stats: ..219/.319/.357

That is probably why.

Who's to say that he won't get a shot? Right now, there's nothing that anyone can do to stop Buck's love for Flaherty.

Correction. His career major league stats are: .259 / .319 / .357

For basis of comparison:

Schoop: .220 / .265 / . 344

Flaherty: .216 / .275 /.357

Lombardozzi: .266 / .297 / .341

So based on your logic, none of these guys should be in the majors either. Frankly, you are probably right. The O's have 4 AAAA second basemen. Schoop is the only one who MIGHT have a future in the majors...

But nonetheless, Weeks is the best offensive player of the lot. Most plate appearances in the majors and highest OPS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users