• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,367 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:11 PM

I knew baseball allows Doctor-approved use of some banned substances. I didn't know some players are allowed to use Testosterone:

Under baseball’s performance-enhancing drug policy, players can apply for a so-called therapeutic use exemption (TUE) to take certain medical substances otherwise banned by MLB. A doctor appointed by both sides—the independent program administrator (IPA) -- reviews all applications. Baseball also has an expert medical panel to advise the IPA. If an exemption is granted, the player cannot be punished for using that substance. The exemption is good for one year.

Before the 2007 season, Rodriguez asked for permission to use testosterone, which has been banned by baseball since 2003. The IPA in '07 was Bryan W. Smith, a High Point, N.C., physician. (Baseball did not yet have the advisory medical panel.) On Feb. 16, 2007, two days before Rodriguez reported to spring training, Smith granted the exemption, allowing Rodriguez to use testosterone all season.

Statistics requested in 2008 by Massachusetts congressman John Tierney as part of a government probe into baseball’s PED problem reveal how rare testosterone exemptions are. In 2007, of the 1,354 players subjected to testing, 111 were granted a TUE. Only two, apparently including Rodriguez, received an exemption for “androgen deficiency medications,” the category that would include testosterone. The other exemptions that year involved treatments for baldness, hypertension and -- predominantly -- attention deficit disorder. The alarmingly high number of exemptions for the latter was Tierney’s main concern. “I think it begs a question: Are people using this as a loophole?” said Tierney. “Are they taking these because they are perceived as a performance-enhancing drug, or do they have a legitimate medicinal purpose?”

http://www.si.com/ml...ankees-steroids

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 02 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

coincidentally, Pay-Roid had the most powerful offensive stats of his career that season...that's shocking!!!  :lol:

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,367 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

coincidentally, Pay-Roid had the most powerful offensive stats of his career that season...that's shocking!!! :lol:

I used to think the Yankees couldn't have known A-Rod wasn't clean when they have him the big contract after 2007. Now I'm not so sure.

I want to know what other players had the guts to ask the MLB for permission to use Testosterone.
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#4 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,573 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

On MLB Radio they were talking about how one of the reasons for exemption is if a player has low testosterone.  Know what one of the main culprits of low testosterone is in young, otherwise healthy men?  Prior steroid use.

The kids are alright.

#5 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 03 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

The biggest laugh to me was when the steroid era was in full bloom, Bud Selig, who now presents himself as this sanctimonious, crusader against PED's, was perfectly aware of what was going on.  Homeruns were flying out of the parks at preposterous rates, records were being demolished and attendance was never better.  Interest in the game was an all time high.  Can anyone deny that Selig was not only culpable in being the spokesman for all that was absurd, but clearly encouraging PED abuse in an indirect way?  I believe this story about A-Rod completely and wouldn't be surprised if there were many other players receiving the same exemption. 

#6 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,763 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

I feel sorry for Yankee fans, and every other team's fans mixed up in this. ..and any other fan that has to look at group of losers that were the front line players during this era. Horrible example of just how far the owners will go to cheat a person out of a buck. How many potential phenomenal pitching performances did we miss out on during this period? How many millions/billions of dollars did Selig make off of this? He should be thrown in jail.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#7 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,573 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

I feel sorry for Yankee fans, and every other team's fans mixed up in this. ..and any other fan that has to look at group of losers that were the front line players during this era. Horrible example of just how far the owners will go to cheat a person out of a buck. How many potential phenomenal pitching performances did we miss out on during this period? How many millions/billions of dollars did Selig make off of this? He should be thrown in jail.

Don't feel too bad for the pitchers - they were all juicing too.  Ever notice how TJ surgery has become a bigger and bigger epidemic since the steroid era ended (or at least was curbed)?  I bet that's not a coincidence.

Edited by Slidemaster, 04 July 2014 - 12:12 PM.

The kids are alright.

#8 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 04 July 2014 - 06:00 PM

Don't feel too bad for the pitchers - they were all juicing too.  Ever notice how TJ surgery has become a bigger and bigger epidemic since the steroid era ended (or at least was curbed)?  I bet that's not a coincidence.

Maybe, just maybe it's the pitchers who are juicing now and have turned the tables on the hitters.  When I was a kid, someone who could throw 95-100 MPH was a freak of nature.  There were maybe a handful who could reach those levels on their fastball.  Now, it's every other pitcher, especially coming out of the bullpen.  You could use the argument that players are bigger and stronger simply on an evolutionary scale but in just 20-30 years?  You have kids thowing that hard in High School and College now.  Funny, but just like during the steriod era, I don't hear Bud having any comment on that either. 

#9 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,763 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 11:33 AM

There's always a chance, but the reality is that I'm sure that TJ would have been more common in the past, if there had been a better understanding of how to do the procedure.
Right now, it's almost a performance enhancer by itself, as many pitchers come out with stronger arms after the surgery.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users