• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 beasley1915

beasley1915

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

How much longer can you stick with him. Jesus he's a shell of his former self!

#2 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

I'd rather see Flaherty hit at this point. Davis can't even hit a grooved fastball anymore.

#3 Tootsie

Tootsie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

By the end of the 2nd game he will be below Mendoza line

#4 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,389 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:09 PM

He looks awful. My friend pointed out.... doesn't he look kind of "skinny" compared to the last year Davis?

#5 beasley1915

beasley1915

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

Yep. Another k = trash. Put his butt on the pine

#6 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,776 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

I remember a few posters laughing at me when I compared Davis to Mark Reynolds. Maybe they were laughing because They know that Mark Reynolds is way better.

Edited by TheJudgement, 05 July 2014 - 08:35 PM.

#7 beasley1915

beasley1915

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 05 July 2014 - 10:08 PM

I mean you can't continue to put him out there if he can't produce!

#8 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,225 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:49 AM

He looks awful. My friend pointed out.... doesn't he look kind of "skinny" compared to the last year Davis?

I noticed that in spring training.  You hate to just say someone is using PED's without proof but 53 homeruns?  Maybe he got a little spooked in the 2nd half last year after seeing all those players being suspended.  That said, he can't even make contact right now.  You might as well have a pitcher hitting. 

#9 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49,949 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

I noticed that in spring training.  You hate to just say someone is using PED's without proof but 53 homeruns?  Maybe he got a little spooked in the 2nd half last year after seeing all those players being suspended.  That said, he can't even make contact right now.  You might as well have a pitcher hitting. 

Flukey seasons have happened throughout baseball history. Thanks to the Steroid era, people now automatically assume PED use when an okay player has an exceptional year.  

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,031 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:59 AM

I remember a few posters laughing at me when I compared Davis to Mark Reynolds. Maybe they were laughing because They know that Mark Reynolds is way better.

I know I laughed  :D

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#11 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,690 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:35 AM

Chris Davis still has slightly better numbers.  Those numbers were much better the last time this was discussed.  :(

#12 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:37 AM

Flukey seasons have happened throughout baseball history. Thanks to the Steroid era, people now automatically assume PED use when an okay player has an exceptional year.  

I was going to say "Norm Cash, 1961", but I think the entirety of the American League was flukey in 1961.  Cash hit .361, 41HR, 132RBI, and finished 4th in the MVP voting.

Then he hit .243 in '62.  1961 was the only season he ever hit over .286

#13 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,992 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

Christ, Davis has a case of the "yips".

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#14 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49,949 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

I was going to say "Norm Cash, 1961", but I think the entirety of the American League was flukey in 1961. Cash hit .361, 41HR, 132RBI, and finished 4th in the MVP voting.

Then he hit .243 in '62. 1961 was the only season he ever hit over .286

Davey Johnson's 1973 season

After never hitting more than 18 homers in a season he hit 43 in 73' then never hit more than 15 homers in any season afterwards

#15 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,477 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:14 PM

Even if he was cheating last year and now isn't that wouldn't explain why he suddenly can't hit at all.

#16 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,031 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:13 AM

Even if he was cheating last year and now isn't that wouldn't explain why he suddenly can't hit at all.

good point. his power would be down, but a lack of roids wouldn't make him suddenly swing at balls that are a foot off the plate.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#17 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,992 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:44 AM

His problem is multiple.  He's not seeing the ball well.  His mechanics are off.  He's frustrated and pressing, and impatient.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#18 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,031 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

His problem is multiple.  He's not seeing the ball well.  His mechanics are off.  He's frustrated and pressing, and impatient.

that's a lot to overcome. 

I'm reminded of the old saying, "how do you eat an elephant, one bite at a time" 

#19 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,936 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

Anyone that thinks that he's "smaller", or used 'roids last year has no idea what they are talking about. He has the same power, he just has horrible timing. He's on pace to hit over 20 homers again, and all it would take is a hot streak to get him back on the 30 homer pace. I have a feeling that we will see that very soon, within the next month.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#20 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49,949 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

I agree.

I think the league's pitchers have figured Davis out and he's struggling to adjust to the way he's being pitched to now

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users