Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
beasley1915

Davis

43 posts in this topic

I'd rather see Flaherty hit at this point. Davis can't even hit a grooved fastball anymore.

He looks awful. My friend pointed out.... doesn't he look kind of "skinny" compared to the last year Davis?

I remember a few posters laughing at me when I compared Davis to Mark Reynolds. Maybe they were laughing because They know that Mark Reynolds is way better.

Edited by TheJudgement

He looks awful. My friend pointed out.... doesn't he look kind of "skinny" compared to the last year Davis?

I noticed that in spring training.  You hate to just say someone is using PED's without proof but 53 homeruns?  Maybe he got a little spooked in the 2nd half last year after seeing all those players being suspended.  That said, he can't even make contact right now.  You might as well have a pitcher hitting. 

I noticed that in spring training.  You hate to just say someone is using PED's without proof but 53 homeruns?  Maybe he got a little spooked in the 2nd half last year after seeing all those players being suspended.  That said, he can't even make contact right now.  You might as well have a pitcher hitting. 

Flukey seasons have happened throughout baseball history. Thanks to the Steroid era, people now automatically assume PED use when an okay player has an exceptional year.  

I remember a few posters laughing at me when I compared Davis to Mark Reynolds. Maybe they were laughing because They know that Mark Reynolds is way better.

I know I laughed  :D

Chris Davis still has slightly better numbers.  Those numbers were much better the last time this was discussed.  :(

Flukey seasons have happened throughout baseball history. Thanks to the Steroid era, people now automatically assume PED use when an okay player has an exceptional year.  

I was going to say "Norm Cash, 1961", but I think the entirety of the American League was flukey in 1961.  Cash hit .361, 41HR, 132RBI, and finished 4th in the MVP voting.

Then he hit .243 in '62.  1961 was the only season he ever hit over .286

Christ, Davis has a case of the "yips".

I was going to say "Norm Cash, 1961", but I think the entirety of the American League was flukey in 1961. Cash hit .361, 41HR, 132RBI, and finished 4th in the MVP voting.

Then he hit .243 in '62. 1961 was the only season he ever hit over .286

Davey Johnson's 1973 season

After never hitting more than 18 homers in a season he hit 43 in 73' then never hit more than 15 homers in any season afterwards

Even if he was cheating last year and now isn't that wouldn't explain why he suddenly can't hit at all.

Even if he was cheating last year and now isn't that wouldn't explain why he suddenly can't hit at all.

good point. his power would be down, but a lack of roids wouldn't make him suddenly swing at balls that are a foot off the plate.  

His problem is multiple.  He's not seeing the ball well.  His mechanics are off.  He's frustrated and pressing, and impatient.

His problem is multiple.  He's not seeing the ball well.  His mechanics are off.  He's frustrated and pressing, and impatient.

that's a lot to overcome. 

I'm reminded of the old saying, "how do you eat an elephant, one bite at a time" 

Anyone that thinks that he's "smaller", or used 'roids last year has no idea what they are talking about.

He has the same power, he just has horrible timing. He's on pace to hit over 20 homers again, and all it would take is a hot streak to get him back on the 30 homer pace.

I have a feeling that we will see that very soon, within the next month.

I agree.

I think the league's pitchers have figured Davis out and he's struggling to adjust to the way he's being pitched to now

I agree.

I think the league's pitchers have figured Davis out and he's struggling to adjust to the way he's being pitched to now

like most hitters with strong tendencies, he refuses to give in to the shift. that's a really big part of his low BA. there have been countless times that he has laced a line drive or a solid ground ball to the right field side, only to have the shifted defender catch it or throw him out. it drives me batty to see guys play into the hands of the defense.

I know he is the muscle, and he's not there to bunt. but there's nothing wrong with passing the baton to the next guy.   

I wonder if power and bat control are mutually exclusive? I agree that it is annoying to see that shift and know that hitting it to left would probably be a sure thing. Would Davis be messing with his power stroke if tried to work on directional hitting?

I don't think Davis is using. Just off in mechanics.

I don't think Davis is using. Just off in mechanics.

I don't think he used PEDs either. my reasoning is that he always hit mammoth HRs. even in the minors, where they've had testing for years, he crushed long balls.  

Davis will be fine. My prediction is he bats .260 and hits about 20 HR the rest of the way. David Schoenfield just did and article about Davis' struggles. All his peripherals are fine. He's striking out the same but actually walking more. His approach hasn't changed and neither the alleged infield shift or pitcher adjustments are having a pronounced impact on him. Very simply - his fly balls are just not going out of the yard as often. But there is almost no offensive stat that has more variance year to year than home run rate. Turn 10 fly ball outs into home runs and his AVG, OBP, and SLG go way up. Last year he was lucky AND good. This year he is unlucky AND struggling a bit. But he's not chopped liver. I agree with Schoenfield that he will finish the year fine and continue to be a .260 35-40 HR player for several more years. Just realize that 2013 was a career year and not a sudden and permanent mid career uptick in production like Jose Bautista or Luis Gonzalez had.