• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 DaJellyBelly

DaJellyBelly

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:54 AM

I think this jerk's classless snide remark should really fire up the Orioles to go out and crush the Red Sox in today's game! :D

#2 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,446 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

That's fine.  He doesn't like Cruz because Cruz got caught cheating and, until he maybe gets caught again, the suspension is in the past and he gets to play on now. 

Just like to see the same press ask him about Ortiz and Ramirez, and whether their pasts should taint the Red Sox recent history...

Wouldn't be surprised to see Boston go hard after him in the off-season this year, when his price demands lock out 85% of the teams in MLB, and the thought of his right-handed bat pointing at the monster in LF gains big traction...

Edited by Ravens2006, 06 July 2014 - 09:32 AM.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#3 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,029 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

And the difference between Melky and Cruz? O's fans will surely be polite and respectful next year when ARod comes back. After all the past is the past

#4 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,584 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:15 AM

The Red Sox won a WS in 2007 with at least two juicers.

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#5 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

Sounds to me like Lackey is a sore loser, ticked off that Cruz had a career game against him. Pretty immature, but I get it. A question, though, for someone who actually knows about this stuff. If a man tests positive for PED last year, does that make him a cheater this year? Cruz explained, apologized and served his suspension, so legally it should be considered behind him. But physically is there any benefit from using illegal substances last year carrying into this year? Does Lackey actually have a beef? I tend to think Nelson Cruz is a heck of a hitter with great motivation to have a peak year, but maybe I'm naive.

#6 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,584 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 04:45 PM

Sounds to me like Lackey is a sore loser, ticked off that Cruz had a career game against him. Pretty immature, but I get it. A question, though, for someone who actually knows about this stuff. If a man tests positive for PED last year, does that make him a cheater this year? Cruz explained, apologized and served his suspension, so legally it should be considered behind him. But physically is there any benefit from using illegal substances last year carrying into this year? Does Lackey actually have a beef? I tend to think Nelson Cruz is a heck of a hitter with great motivation to have a peak year, but maybe I'm naive.

It could be a combination of things. Cruz is still in the age range where Major League hitters generally are most productive(ages 27 to 30). So he could very well be peaking in terms of his career potential.

He also has the extra motivation of being a free agent after this season. His performance this season will almost certainly get him a higher salary and longer term contract next year.

#7 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,516 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

It could be a combination of things. Cruz is still in the age range where Major League hitters generally are most productive(ages 27 to 30). So he could very well be peaking in terms of his career potential.

He also has the extra motivation of being a free agent after this season. His performance this season will almost certainly get him a higher salary and longer term contract next year.

Cruz is 33.

The kids are alright.

#8 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,141 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

The Red Sox won a WS in 2007 with at least two juicers.

Somehow Ortiz always gets a pass during PED discussions.

#9 Buford

Buford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,781 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:45 PM

Big Crappy is an MLB God...In Bostonians eyes and ESPN..

Awesomeness - An unmeasurable amount of awesomenimity something can produce

#10 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,584 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

Somehow Ortiz always gets a pass during PED discussions.

They had Ortiz and Ramirez in 04' and 07'

#11 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,744 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 10:28 PM

And the difference between Melky and Cruz? O's fans will surely be polite and respectful next year when ARod comes back. After all the past is the past

Yankee fans aren't polite about ARod, why should O's fans be polite?
To be fair, the same can be said about Cruz and O's players.
Still, it's time for Lackey to shut up and move on. Let the fans talk crap.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#12 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

I get your point about how fans react to these players, but I don't see how it applies to a player like Lackey. There is an old saying about people living in glass houses throwing stones that seems to apply to him.

As to your comparison between Cruz and A-Rod, I'm not seeing it. Sure they both got caught in the PED web, but Cruz explained, apologized, and served his penalty, while Rodriguez lied, denied, made himself out to be a victim, and generally acted selfishly against the best interests of baseball. There is no comparison.

#13 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46,584 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:56 AM

I get your point about how fans react to these players, but I don't see how it applies to a player like Lackey. There is an old saying about people living in glass houses throwing stones that seems to apply to him.

As to your comparison between Cruz and A-Rod, I'm not seeing it. Sure they both got caught in the PED web, but Cruz explained, apologized, and served his penalty, while Rodriguez lied, denied, made himself out to be a victim, and generally acted selfishly against the best interests of baseball. There is no comparison.

ARod hate is for more than just PEDs. Even before the PED revaluations, he was already disliked around the game for the perception that he was overpaid, selfish, and not a clutch player.

Cruz doesn't have much extra baggage so it's easier for him to salvage what's left of his career...

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,387 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

I heard a John Ferrell interview during lunch. he was asked about Lackey's comment, and he pretty much said it is born of frustration because Cruz has owned Lackey over their careers. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#15 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,968 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

I heard a John Ferrell interview during lunch. he was asked about Lackey's comment, and he pretty much said it is born of frustration because Cruz has owned Lackey over their careers. 

That makes sense.  Lackey is too funny on the mound when a ball drops in or a run scores, he freaks out.  There must be clips of this online somewhere, I'll go check.  One of these emotions on his sleeve type guys.

#16 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73,459 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

I believe another Red Sox called out Cruz after the first series this year.
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - HL Mencken

#17 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73,459 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 09:42 PM

True, but Lackey's not a fan.
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - HL Mencken

#18 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,744 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 12:42 AM

Just more punk behavior from a team that can't figure out how they won anything last year. Don't worry, we're all confused too.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,387 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 08 July 2014 - 07:30 AM

yep, it was after the first game. 7th inning, Cruz hit Lester's first pitch into the seats to give the O's a 2-1 lead and win.  

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users