#1 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,596 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 06:58 PM

Wieters (hahaha), Jones, and Cruz.

At least two of them are deserving.  Nice to see.

The kids are alright.

#2 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:04 PM

I just don't understand how something like that (Wieters) happens. The guy has been shelved for like a month or two. Why would anyone vote for him? This makes the All-Star Game look like a joke.

#3 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,283 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 07:20 PM

I just don't understand how something like that (Wieters) happens. The guy has been shelved for like a month or two. Why would anyone vote for him? This makes the All-Star Game look like a joke.

Agree.  Is the AL catcher pool that weak?

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56,494 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

It's a fan vote. How many all star games did Cal get voted to start in that there were more deserving candidates. I count several years at the end of his career

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#5 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,596 posts

Posted 06 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

It's a fan vote. How many all star games did Cal get voted to start in that there were more deserving candidates. I count several years at the end of his career

Same for Jeter this year.

The kids are alright.

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,726 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

it seems like I have to post this comment every year. the ASG is literally a popularity contest. it's not about the best players, it's about the most famous players. if anything, I'm surprised Cruz beat out big flabby for the DH job. Jeter makes perfect sense at SS. name another SS who is as well known? 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,596 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

it seems like I have to post this comment every year. the ASG is literally a popularity contest. it's not about the best players, it's about the most famous players. if anything, I'm surprised Cruz beat out big flabby for the DH job. Jeter makes perfect sense at SS. name another SS who is as well known? 

I think you're right with regards to some players, but some get in based on merit too.  It really depends on the player and the position.

The kids are alright.

#8 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,080 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Jeter being picked is similar to Ripken in his final year before retirement. It's more of a sentimental farewell to an all-time great player
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#9 babylinux

babylinux

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,091 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:05 PM

Some AL catchers for better or worse, who is your pick?

Santana - Cle

Mauer - Min

Perez - KC

McCann - MFY

Gomes - Cle

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,726 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

Jeter being picked is similar to Ripken in his final year before retirement. It's more of a sentimental farewell to an all-time great player

yep, and I'm in the camp that doesn't have a problem with that. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,726 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

I think you're right with regards to some players, but some get in based on merit too.  It really depends on the player and the position.

that's true, and when it happens, it's a nice story. but most of the time it's based on popularity. 

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,726 posts

Posted 07 July 2014 - 12:38 PM

Some AL catchers for better or worse, who is your pick?

Santana - Cle

Mauer - Min

Perez - KC

McCann - MFY

Gomes - Cle

I would voter for Perez. that guy is mean behind the plate. but I haven't really seen Gomes this year, so I may be selling him short. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users