Wieters

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,488 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

I've commented a few time that I am convinced MW will be leaving the O's asap. I don't know where he prefers to play, but I just read about the ASG selections, and how MW said, "from his home in Atlanta" that he is going to the game as a spectator. 

I've always kind of suspected that he wants to play for the braves. now that I know he lives in Atl, I feel like my hunch may have some merit. the braves seem pretty well set at catcher with Gattis and Bethancourt. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#2 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,553 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:17 PM

Well, he's been in the dugout recently. Seems like a real team player. So, if he's anxious to flee the O's, he's doing a good job of hiding it.

#3 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 03:11 AM

Can we finally put to bed the notion that he has some magical effect on the starting pitching? His game calling and knowledge of opposing hitters has always been lauded as being elite, yet the starting pitching, if anything, has been better without him behind the plate. With blocking the plate being a thing of the past, his value is now tied to two things only - his bat and his arm.

Edited by Slidemaster, 12 July 2014 - 03:12 AM.

The kids are alright.

#4 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

Can we finally put to bed the notion that he has some magical effect on the starting pitching? His game calling and knowledge of opposing hitters has always been lauded as being elite, yet the starting pitching, if anything, has been better without him behind the plate. With blocking the plate being a thing of the past, his value is now tied to two things only - his bat and his arm.

...and his bat is very suspect too.  He was off to good start but realistically, he would have finished up somewhere around .250-260.  He's a good defensive catcher with a great arm when healthy and a very average hitter at best.

#5 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,763 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

Wieters is a transcendent talent who has played at the level of a solid player. At times he has been a superior defender, other times a superior hitter, but at no time has he been able to sustain it on both sides of the plate at the same level. If he comes back to the O's, it will be because he has no other options. The Yankees are not an option. The Braves are not an option. Maybe the Nationals? Boston? The Cubs? Those seem like the options.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#6 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,574 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:26 AM

Wieters is a transcendent talent who has played at the level of a solid player. At times he has been a superior defender, other times a superior hitter, but at no time has he been able to sustain it on both sides of the plate at the same level. If he comes back to the O's, it will be because he has no other options. The Yankees are not an option. The Braves are not an option. Maybe the Nationals? Boston? The Cubs? Those seem like the options.

I would agree with all of those points.

The kids are alright.

#7 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,118 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 04:04 AM

You know, I'm going with the pros on Weiters.

#8 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

I've commented a few time that I am convinced MW will be leaving the O's asap. I don't know where he prefers to play, but I just read about the ASG selections, and how MW said, "from his home in Atlanta" that he is going to the game as a spectator. 

I've always kind of suspected that he wants to play for the braves. now that I know he lives in Atl, I feel like my hunch may have some merit. the braves seem pretty well set at catcher with Gattis and Bethancourt. 

I always felt this way too since he went to school at Georgia Tech and was born in SC..  Didn't know he lived there though. His wife went to GT also.  Braves seem like his dream team.  He just doesn't want to be in Baltimore long term.  I think there are two scenarios.  He comes back really strong next spring and we dump him for prospects or we ride out 2015, offer him the one year deal and then get a draft pick when he signs elsewhere.  Probably only way we can make deal with Braves next spring is if we take that god-awful BJ Upton contract off their hands.  Maybe they throw in one of their catchers at that point. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users