• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,571 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:27 AM

Jimmy Smith was arrested Saturday night for disorderly conduct at The Greene Turtle in Towson. Admittedly, it doesn't sound like that big of a deal. But still...

http://www.baltimore...0,5078221.story

#2 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,972 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

Jimmy Smith was arrested Saturday night for disorderly conduct at The Greene Turtle in Towson. Admittedly, it doesn't sound like that big of a deal. But still...

http://www.baltimore...0,5078221.story

But still what? You would prefer the cops looked the other way like they did for all those drunks on the ole bawlmer colts teams?

#3 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,547 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

Stupid. When the cops say to step aside that is what you do.
This would be a non issue w/o Ray Rice and some of the other more dangerous actions of other Ravens.
Jah Reid is getting off pretty easy for his violent attack in a strip club. http://touch.baltimo...e/p2p-79570303/

http://keysnews.com/node/56179

Baltimore Ravens reserve offensive lineman Jah Reid was sentenced Friday to a year-long pretrial diversion program that could result in the misdemeanor battery charges against him being dropped.
Reid has to complete an anger management course, complete 75 hours of community service, write a letter of apology to his victims, undergo two urine tests, and not return to Key West during the 12-month period, according to court records.
He could successfully complete the program in nine months as part of the early termination option.
If he completes the course, the state would dismiss the charges against him, records state.

That idiot will hurt someone or worse in the future.
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#4 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

"F*#@! you! What are you going to do?"  Well, they arrested you, moron.  I'm sure you'll be a hero to your equally stupid comrades on the team but good luck when you let your first wide receiver run by you for a touchdown in a few months.  I know you probably don't care about this either but fans don't forget.  Management doesn't forget.  Another Rhodes Scholar to the head of the line!

#5 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,972 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 11:02 AM

"F*#@! you! What are you going to do?"  Well, they arrested you, moron.  I'm sure you'll be a hero to your equally stupid comrades on the team but good luck when you let your first wide receiver run by you for a touchdown in a few months.  I know you probably don't care about this either but fans don't forget.  Management doesn't forget.  Another Rhodes Scholar to the head of the line!

Biscotti forgets...Ozzie forgets..Harbaugh forgets and the fans will forget. 

Edited by Brohan, 13 July 2014 - 11:03 AM.

#6 Shad

Shad

Specksioneer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,364 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

Sounds like an overzealous cop to me. 

"Respect my author-i-tie!"

#7 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,571 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

But still what? You would prefer the cops looked the other way like they did for all those drunks on the ole bawlmer colts teams?

But still it doesn't look good.

#8 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,074 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:08 PM

Advice to Jimmy: The Reese Witherspoon line of "don't you know who I am" doesn't work with cops.

WBAL mentioned the woman had coke on her. Sounds line she did a line in the bathroom and it wasn't a good one.

#9 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,465 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:52 PM

Not surprising. Smith had character concerns coming out of college. The disappointing thing will be that once again the Ravens FO will most likely use the line that they are waiting for the legal process to play out. They are no better than other teams that look the other way every time a player gets in trouble. That's fine. I get it. It's a business, and that business is all about winning. So stop spouting the line that "We hold our players to a higher standard because they are Ravens." It is clear that if you are a star, or a first string player, or even a player that will help the bottom line of winning, you will not be held to a higher standard. There have been a number of players in trouble this offseason, and a number of opportunities to set an example and send a message to the rest of the team. It's happened in years prior as well. Since the FO has done nothing to punish any of those players, it is time they stop taking the holier than thou attitude and just admit that if you are a good player, the Ravens will overlook any off the field problems. No different than most of the other teams in the league, just stop pretending that you do hold players to a higher standard. This offseason has proven that to not be true.
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#10 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,242 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:38 AM

I can't believe this was the lead story on WBAL's 5:00 a.m. newscast.

Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

The fact that Smith refused to leave the woman tells me that there was something involved that he DID NOT want the police to know about.  Either that or he's just an idiot that has an ax to grind with cops.  He wouldn't be the first athlete to have that level of defiance.  But after reading further details of the incident, the more I'm inclined to think that Jimmy didn't want the woman talking without him there.  And for the record, I DO think John Harbaugh and Steve Bisciotti ARE becoming increasingly agitated and disgusted with these players.  Someone's going to be made an example out of sooner than later. 

#12 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,571 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

They are no better than other teams that look the other way every time a player gets in trouble. That's fine. I get it. It's a business, and that business is all about winning. So stop spouting the line that "We hold our players to a higher standard because they are Ravens."

This x 1,000,000,000.

#13 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,212 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

Bizarro AFC North.  Bengals won the division and half the Ravens' players got arrested in the offseason.  :P

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,500 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:44 AM

WBAL mentioned the woman had coke on her. Sounds line she did a line in the bathroom and it wasn't a good one.

I'm reminded of Uma Thurman in Pulp Fiction.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#15 Dub

Dub

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:55 PM

What I think happened was Jimmy was helping the lady and alerted the people at Greene Turtle who called the police. They came and asked him to leave, but he probably thought him being there was helping the girl as he was comforting her. Police wanting him out of the bathroom completely, and he thinking he is helping by being there for her so he wouldnt leave. Not to mention he is probably concerned for her.

Seriously, if you are out with some friends or a date and she or he become nausious or sick, you just supposed to leave them in the room with medics and not know what is going on..... The response of "he isn't family or not helping so he has to leave", well he is her friend who was with her the whole time, what does it mean if he isnt family. From my experiences with things similar with Police, especially in the county, the Police just want to flex there muscles. Him standing in the vacinity and seeing what is going on is not causing or preventing any medics from caring for that individual.

Maybe instead of ushering him out of the way, they should of been asking him what was she drinking, or has she taken any medication or drugs. That would seem more helpful of the Police then telling him to leave.

#16 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,571 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

What I think happened was Jimmy was helping the lady and alerted the people at Greene Turtle who called the police. They came and asked him to leave, but he probably thought him being there was helping the girl as he was comforting her. Police wanting him out of the bathroom completely, and he thinking he is helping by being there for her so he wouldnt leave. Not to mention he is probably concerned for her.

Seriously, if you are out with some friends or a date and she or he become nausious or sick, you just supposed to leave them in the room with medics and not know what is going on..... The response of "he isn't family or not helping so he has to leave", well he is her friend who was with her the whole time, what does it mean if he isnt family. From my experiences with things similar with Police, especially in the county, the Police just want to flex there muscles. Him standing in the vacinity and seeing what is going on is not causing or preventing any medics from caring for that individual.

Maybe instead of ushering him out of the way, they should of been asking him what was she drinking, or has she taken any medication or drugs. That would seem more helpful of the Police then telling him to leave.

LOL. There's just so much wrong with this post. (Basically...everything.)

#17 West Chester Raven

West Chester Raven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

Not really a big deal, guys. Stupid? Yeah. Cocky? Yeah. But certainly nothing warranting headlines in comparison to some other transgressions we're reading about for other star players.

Jimmy has taken longer than I'd like to develop into a solid physical Chris McAlister type corner we've been needing but he finally (finally) started to turn the corner last year.

let's not make a mountain out of a mole hill (we'll save that for Flacco) - I'm just kidding.

How Y'all doing anyway? Hope you guys are enjoying the summer!

Cheers.

#18 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,972 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

The fact that Smith refused to leave the woman tells me that there was something involved that he DID NOT want the police to know about.  Either that or he's just an idiot that has an ax to grind with cops.  He wouldn't be the first athlete to have that level of defiance.  But after reading further details of the incident, the more I'm inclined to think that Jimmy didn't want the woman talking without him there.  And for the record, I DO think John Harbaugh and Steve Bisciotti ARE becoming increasingly agitated and disgusted with these players.  Someone's going to be made an example out of sooner than later. 

Yeah, he probably stuffed his blow in her bag and didn't want the cops to find it. 

#19 Deepurple

Deepurple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

I guarantee that Harbaugh is going to come down hard on this team before camp even takes place. Believe me, From Bisc on down the line, they don't appreciate this national shame. Time to put an end to this right now.

#20 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,077 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:03 PM

I guarantee that Harbaugh is going to come down hard on this team before camp even takes place. Believe me, From Bisc on down the line, they don't appreciate this national shame. Time to put an end to this right now.

I do think it's time for Harbaugh or the front office to bring down the hammer with these guys and make them accountable.  The cop told Smith three times to move away from the girl and get out of the bathroom.  He had ample time to think to himself, "ok, I'm being an idiot, time to leave.  The last thing I need is to get arrested."  But no, he kept pushing and pushing and that's exactly what happened.  The problem is, he, like most of the players, doesn't have any fear of Harbaugh saying to him, "hey Jimmy, you just FUBARed yourself...you're no longer on the Ravens."  Or even to be suspended for a couple of games.  It doesn't even occur to these guys because there's never been a precedent.  Oh, you can get in Harbaugh's dog house but that's usually reserved for sillier reasons.  Something needs to happen but I'm not holding my breath.  I know Harbaugh & Co. are getting sick of the behavior of some of these guys but until they do something about it, don't expect anything to change.  Hell, we've got time for another arrest before camp starts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users