Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

- - - - -

Better than Remember the Titans warm up?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_harcohorns_*

Guest_harcohorns_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:25 PM

#2 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

Haha very nice... Just hope they won that game lol

#3 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

:o  According to MaxPreps. Moanalua were defeated.  They supposedly went 5 and 5 in 2011 and the team that beat them in the video was 10 and 2.  So much for form over substance.

#4 Guest_harcohorns_*

Guest_harcohorns_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

:o  According to MaxPreps. Moanalua were defeated.  They supposedly went 5 and 5 in 2011 and the team that beat them in the video was 10 and 2.  So much for form over substance.

Of course substance is more important BUT if Moanalua was a better team and based on the video sound they did whip the fans into a frenzy.. I would think this would help a team at home .. but yeah not against a much better opponent.  I like the fact the coach lets them do this if no more than just being in touch with the modern player...I like it and I am an old school guy for the most part... Do I like the acting out when a player makes a play during the game ? NO I don't but pre-game fun I am ok with it.. Particularly if the fans like it.. It adds to the event..

Its about team unity... yeah sure the team may still lose but isn't part of what football is supposed to be about is being part of a unit and doing things together as such?    Is that not how football defends itself against the haters that think its barbaric and want it gone?  You hear it all the time "football is about team work, unity, sacrifice etc and it is"..  This type of thing in this video brings kids together and its not about winning or losing..its about team, motivation and making the game fun... After all it is just a game...   

Edited by harcohorns, 13 July 2014 - 04:07 PM.

#5 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

In lala land and maybe at Moanalua that all sounds good BUT the prime objective is to WIN The Game.  The time expended learning the dance routine could have perhaps been better spent learning blocking and tackling and scoring and preventing the opponent from scoring.  At least do better than .500.  And then the showboating could mean something more.  I see the same thing in boxing with guys dancing around the ring before the contest, with bells and tassels on their shoes and they throw lightening punches and combinations in the air before the fight.  And then at the sound of the bell, they get their clocks cleaned.  There is a time and a place for form and there is a time and place for substances.  Form without substances is a circus.  And what I see above is a PT Barnum circus like all the clowns that get out of the little car.  Now had I seen a running clock after the game in favor of Moanalua with the dance then I would have cheered that these were some bad@zz boys.  But I'm sorry harc, that team is whacked....

#6 Guest_harcohorns_*

Guest_harcohorns_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

In lala land and maybe at Moanalua that all sounds good BUT the prime objective is to WIN The Game.  The time expended learning the dance routine could have perhaps been better spent learning blocking and tackling and scoring and preventing the opponent from scoring.  At least do better than .500.  And then the showboating could mean something more.  I see the same thing in boxing with guys dancing around the ring before the contest, with bells and tassels on their shoes and they throw lightening punches and combinations in the air before the fight.  And then at the sound of the bell, they get their clocks cleaned.  There is a time and a place for form and there is a time and place for substances.  Form without substances is a circus.  And what I see above is a PT Barnum circus like all the clowns that get out of the little car.  Now had I seen a running clock after the game in favor of Moanalua with the dance then I would have cheered that these were some bad@zz boys.  But I'm sorry harc, that team is whacked....

Really.. Its just about having fun,.   You really think they spent countless hours away from practice learning the routine? Seriously its just about having fun and enjoying the experience as well as bonding,,  Winning  or losing is secondary...If winning football games is sole purpose for playing or coaching then you are grossly missing the bigger picture  and not in it for the right reasons

#7 First_Down

First_Down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,365 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 08:59 PM

I'm with DW on this one.  I'm sure the school has a dance or stage entertainment team.  This crew could have taken this act to the school stage.  And yes it was probably fun or entertaining once.  But I suspect they bonded a lot like this for 2-minutes before each home game while getting their teeth handed to them on the field for 48-minutes.  That's a sure way to crumble any bonds that's not fun especially when laughed at by the opponents who beat them.  Now if this was just a one time thing or something special for say homecoming then fine, I'm good with it.

But when I was a young soldier stationed in Hawaii, the university team did a traditional Hawaiian warrior dance but this Moanalua dance did not resemble a traditional warrior type dance but rather a Westside Story struct, if you will, too mainland NY broadway.

Edited by First_Down, 13 July 2014 - 11:32 PM.

#8 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:07 AM

Unfortunately this kinda stuff is here to stay.  Dating back to The U with the smoke, FSU and the spear, OU and the wagon, Texas and the steer, Colorado and the buffalo, Clemson and the rock, Georgetown hoya paranoia, Billy White Shoes Johnson, Butch Johnson, Deion, Fun Bunch, and so on in the early 80’s when I was a kid. 

Then it went full tilt with Jordan and the Bulls, VT and Sandman, Detroit and Rasheed, Dwight Howard, LeBron, Ray Lewis, and so on.  Kids see it every day so it’s trickled and now becoming common place.  

#9 dunkone

dunkone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

Unfortunately this kinda stuff is here to stay.  Dating back to The U with the smoke, FSU and the spear, OU and the wagon, Texas and the steer, Colorado and the buffalo, Clemson and the rock, Georgetown hoya paranoia, Billy White Shoes Johnson, Butch Johnson, Deion, Fun Bunch, and so on in the early 80’s when I was a kid. 

Then it went full tilt with Jordan and the Bulls, VT and Sandman, Detroit and Rasheed, Dwight Howard, LeBron, Ray Lewis, and so on.  Kids see it every day so it’s trickled and now becoming common place.  

i have to ask...being a longtime g-town fan...how do you think hoya paranoia related to this video?.....it was more of  media driven talking point based on big john's relationship (or sometimes lack of) with the media...

#10 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:55 AM

i have to ask...being a longtime g-town fan...how do you think hoya paranoia related to this video?.....it was more of  media driven talking point based on big john's relationship (or sometimes lack of) with the media...

Me to been going to games since 80.  It was about not letting the media talk to them, and the racism, what the espn president said about Ewing, the fights, the Hatchet man who didn't get ejected and so on.

But I think it was in 83 Lou who said they scare the hell out of you and then it took off and Gtown turned into a positive theme.  I remember that was the first time I saw a big time pre game intro with Hoya Paranoia.  

Music was pumping with Hoya Paranoia all over the big screen, with highlights of Ewing, Dalton, Graham, Wingate, and Martin dunking and blocking shots.   Brown, Smith, Williams, Jackson, and Broadnax, pressing, making steals, throwning alley-oops and then the bigtime introduction.   

So ya it was a production.  I know it wasn't coined for a positive but it was turned into one.  

#11 dunkone

dunkone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

Me to been going to games since 80.  It was about not letting the media talk to them, and the racism, what the espn president said about Ewing, the fights, the Hatchet man who didn't get ejected and so on.

But I think it was in 83 Lou who said they scare the hell out of you and then it took off and Gtown turned into a positive theme.  I remember that was the first time I saw a big time pre game intro with Hoya Paranoia.  

Music was pumping with Hoya Paranoia all over the big screen, with highlights of Ewing, Dalton, Graham, Wingate, and Martin dunking and blocking shots.   Brown, Smith, Williams, Jackson, and Broadnax, pressing, making steals, throwning alley-oops and then the bigtime introduction.   

So ya it was a production.  I know it wasn't coined for a positive but it was turned into one.  

ok...i can see where you are going...def was a production..as a kid i was a fan of dc dunbar and craig shelton and john duren...once they went to g-town..they had a fan for life..lol

#12 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 504 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:46 PM

ok...i can see where you are going...def was a production..as a kid i was a fan of dc dunbar and craig shelton and john duren...once they went to g-town..they had a fan for life..lol

Dam that was way back "Big Sky".  First game I ever went to was at the Armory when them and Sleepy beat Lefty with King, Williams, Graham, and Manning.  Man bringing back some serious memories

Sitting in my basement bar is one of my most prized possessions, a baby blue on white signed Ewing Jersey with a pollard with me standing next to him.  My old man worked for Giant down off Columbia Park Rd and had some pull.  Got me and my best bud in the tunnel at the cap centre after they beat DePaul lead by Dallas Comegys and Tyrone Corbin. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users