• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 10:52 AM

Thought we needed a thread for this seeing as we're about three weeks from camp starting.

#2 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:10 PM

We all know it's a two team race. My biggest question is, I'm hearing a lot of rumblings about somehow the CHC transfers being able to play this year at SFA. Not sure that happens but if it does, I see some serious uproars being let out over on Lasalle Road. The other thing I'm waking to see is if MSJ finally makes a move up. They have a lot of talent over there, this might be their year to challenge for a Top 3 spot.

#3 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

We all know it's a two team race. My biggest question is, I'm hearing a lot of rumblings about somehow the CHC transfers being able to play this year at SFA. Not sure that happens but if it does, I see some serious uproars being let out over on Lasalle Road. The other thing I'm waking to see is if MSJ finally makes a move up. They have a lot of talent over there, this might be their year to challenge for a Top 3 spot.

I've heard the same thing about the transfers from CHC to SFA. I've also heard that if it's going to be pushed, it has has to be from McDonogh or Gilman as Donald Davis doesn't want to hurt the kids by having them declared ineligible.

#4 OLINE

OLINE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

MSJ is having a lot of their kids transfer back to their "home schools". I agree that they have some talent, but they are having some trouble keeping it. I do not see MSJ as a strong team in the MIAA-A league. 

#5 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

What a mess this all sounds in the great MIAA....  And all for just a league title or to have one up on each other.  A quote from Rodney King comes to mind about right now.  Or was it Rodney Dangerfield?

#6 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:16 PM

Both quotes would seem to apply, no?

#7 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

I've heard the same thing about the transfers from CHC to SFA. I've also heard that if it's going to be pushed, it has has to be from McDonogh or Gilman as Donald Davis doesn't want to hurt the kids by having them declared ineligible.

What do you mean by pushed? If you're saying that the kids will be declared eligible, I could see this getting seriously out of hand. If the rules mean nothing, we will now have a league like the old WCAC. Where kids transferred every year. I think I this will turn out really bad for the league.

#8 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,871 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 04:38 PM

That is horse****

#9 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 05:09 PM

That is horse****

I couldn't agree more! I have no problem with kids transferring, that's up to them and their families. If that's what they feel is the rift place for them to be, so be it. But rules are rules. What the hell is the point of having them? This makes no sense to me.

It's funny what Eagle said about Donald and not wanting to hurt the kids. I don't think that's the case at all. I think Donald sees the writing on the wall for him at CHC and is plotting his next move and keeping his options open. Because another bad season and loss to Loyola, he's probably out of there.

#10 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

So I understand that the MIAA's self-serving rule is that transferees between member MIAA schools must sit out a season but I take it that SFA intends to play transfers from CHC.  It's A-O-K to take ( accept ) players from other programs but not among or between MIAA schools.  Is that the issue here?  If so, how can SFA get around such a rule, unless there is no consequence for breaking the rule.

And the Don is out with a bad season or loss to Loyola!!!!!!  Wow!  But could a win over McDonogh and/or Gillman save The Don even with a bad win-loss season or loss to Loyola?

#11 aacountyfootball

aacountyfootball

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

I am just curious. How many schools adhere to the recruiting rule? If rules are rules that should be enforced then there would be no league this year.

#12 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

I am just curious. How many schools adhere to the recruiting rule? If rules are rules that should be enforced then there would be no league this year.

True, but a little harder to prove than kids transferring schools. There's a reason why the WCAC changed their rules. You could say the same thing about publics, there's suppose to be a zero tolerance on recruiting and plenty of publics recruit!

Don't know how many people remember Scott McBrien(disclaimer, I know Scott and he's a good dude) but the rules were changed because of him. He did the whole WCAC tour playing in Varsity for different schools without sitting out.

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM, 14 July 2014 - 06:36 PM.

#13 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:40 PM

So I understand that the MIAA's self-serving rule is that transferees between member MIAA schools must sit out a season but I take it that SFA intends to play transfers from CHC.  It's A-O-K to take ( accept ) players from other programs but not among or between MIAA schools.  Is that the issue here?  If so, how can SFA get around such a rule, unless there is no consequence for breaking the rule.

And the Don is out with a bad season or loss to Loyola!!!!!!  Wow!  But could a win over McDonogh and/or Gillman save The Don even with a bad win-loss season or loss to Loyola?

Now you're asking the right question. How can they get around it?

If CHC beats McD and/or Gilman, there's a pretty small chance that they will lose to Loyola.

#14 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

Now you're asking the right question. How can they get around it?
If CHC beats McD and/or Gilman, there's a pretty small chance that they will lose to Loyola.

The whole transfer thing is gonna get ugly.

#15 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

MSJ is having a lot of their kids transfer back to their "home schools". I agree that they have some talent, but they are having some trouble keeping it. I do not see MSJ as a strong team in the MIAA-A league.

We you get a chance tell me so I can let the staff know who's missing, lol.

#16 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

The whole transfer thing is gonna get ugly.

Hell, DayWalker might be on to something. What exactly is the penalty for breaking the transfer rule? I'm sure forfeit of games would be a rule but with no playoff system and "real" Champion, does it matter. Maybe SFA will just say F it, play with the players and forfeit the games. What do they lose? Kids still get exposure and more than likely offers.

#17 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:06 PM

Hell, DayWalker might be on to something. What exactly is the penalty for breaking the transfer rule? I'm sure forfeit of games would be a rule but with no playoff system and "real" Champion, does it matter. Maybe SFA will just say F it, play with the players and forfeit the games. What do they lose? Kids still get exposure and more than likely offers.

They could be removed from the Miaa and the Mia would not provide refs. Basically SFA would be considered an independent and would have to stay their.

#18 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:09 PM

True, but a little harder to prove than kids transferring schools. There's a reason why the WCAC changed their rules. You could say the same thing about publics, there's suppose to be a zero tolerance on recruiting and plenty of publics recruit!

Don't know how many people remember Scott McBrien(disclaimer, I know Scott and he's a good dude) but the rules were changed because of him. He did the whole WCAC tour playing in Varsity for different schools without sitting out.

This doesn't seem like anything difficult to prove.  If a kid suited up and played for another MIAA school the previous season then they must sit out the following season if they transfer to another MIAA school.  If that's the rule then what's the problem in enforcing the rule!!!!  It all sounds like a no brainer to me.  Now if the MIAA has no rule about going after any public school players or even private school players from other conferences then all's fair.  Can someone tell me the specific issue with SFA other then you think they are doing the dirt.  What dirt?  What are they doing so wrong to cause such gnashing of teeth among brother institutions?

I don't think publics recruit in the sense privates actively seek players from wherever they wish.  It's usually a player and/or his parents who initiate contact with a school / coach about coming in with the publics.  Coaches and adminstrators are prohibited from initiating contact about players transferring to schools.  They may do so (recruit) at feeder middle schools but they cannot go to middle schools outside their area to recruit from what I know.

Edited by DayWalker, 14 July 2014 - 07:14 PM.

#19 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,831 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 07:50 PM

This doesn't seem like anything difficult to prove.  If a kid suited up and played for another MIAA school the previous season then they must sit out the following season if they transfer to another MIAA school.  If that's the rule then what's the problem in enforcing the rule!!!!  It all sounds like a no brainer to me.  Now if the MIAA has no rule about going after any public school players or even private school players from other conferences then all's fair.  Can someone tell me the specific issue with SFA other then you think they are doing the dirt.  What dirt?  What are they doing so wrong to cause such gnashing of teeth among brother institutions?

I don't think publics recruit in the sense privates actively seek players from wherever they wish.  It's usually a player and/or his parents who initiate contact with a school / coach about coming in with the publics.  Coaches and adminstrators are prohibited from initiating contact about players transferring to schools.  They may do so (recruit) at feeder middle schools but they cannot go to middle schools outside their area to recruit from what I know.

SFA hasn't done anything wrong, as of yet. But yes, the rule is if a kid from one MIAA-A conference Varsity team transfers to another MIAA-A conference School, said student can not play the next calendar year. Now there's word from many people that the kids aren't sitting out. The rule is plain and simple like you said. If this isn't the case, the MIAA should remove the rule from their rule books. Because a feeding frenzy will ensue and you will definitely see kids jumping around like crazy if this is allowed.

I personally don't care either way, just believe that if there's a rule, the rule should be enforced. And it has been enforced in the past.

#20 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,855 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 08:29 PM

What do you mean by pushed? If you're saying that the kids will be declared eligible, I could see this getting seriously out of hand. If the rules mean nothing, we will now have a league like the old WCAC. Where kids transferred every year. I think I this will turn out really bad for the league.

What I've heard is that the SFA coach has told the kids parents to claim poverty and say that they transferred from CHC because they could no longer afford the CHC tuition even though this is completely false. They believe that the MIAA will grant them a hardship waiver for this and make the kids immediately eligible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users