johnpolitics

Favorite Derek Jeter moment

25 posts in this topic

It is OK to hate the "evil empire" but Jeter showed how the game should be played on and off the field.

This is my favorite Jeter moment because the Shortstop is NOT suppose to be playing in this position in this situation.

I can agree with the flip.

I'm passed the point of hating the guy.  He's reached the status of any of the all-time greats, where you just have to stand up and appreciate what he's done.  I felt the same way about Cal, Rivera, Griffey, and anyone else that has had a transcendent career.

Never liked him and won't miss him. He often seems to have a sneer on his face. when you mix that with a yankee uniform.... yeeesh

Time to get over the Jeffrey Maier thing. The Os had another opportunity to win a championship the following year and they blew it.

The Yankees suffered a humiliating defeat by the Red Sox in the 2004 ALCS and Yank fans are already over it.

There's nothing to dislike about Jeter. He's a class act and one of the all-time greats.

Time to get over the Jeffrey Maier thing. The Os had another opportunity to win a championship the following year and they blew it.

The Yankees suffered a humiliating defeat by the Red Sox in the 2004 ALCS and Yank fans are already over it.

There's nothing to dislike about Jeter. He's a class act and one of the all-time greats.

Bad call by the umpire, I never blame Jeter for that. That was one of my least favorite orioles teams anyway. I just don't like Jeter as a fan. I get to pick who I like. :)

There can be nobody who detests the Yankees more than I do. I was raised that way beginning in the early '50s. Yet I have always appreciated Derek Jeter, and the favorite moment cited by OP is mine as well.

There wasn't one..

Other than Adam Jones writing TG 19 on his cap, that is.....

and Huston Street (Padres Pitcher) wearing the tea's patch on his game uniform...

MLB should be embarassed.....

There wasn't one..

Other than Adam Jones writing TG 19 on his cap, that is.....

and Huston Street (Padres Pitcher) wearing the tea's patch on his game uniform...

MLB should be embarassed.....

I agree, maybe mlb didn't want to bum out The All Jeter Star Game crowd. 

Edited by weird-O

The O's had a chance to draft Jeter but they chose Jeffrey Hammonds

that looks bad now. but Hammonds was a high profile prospect that had everyone talking. I remember hearing an interview about the scout that suggested signing Jeter. as the story goes, the yankees didn't want him, at least as a 1st rounder. it took some serious persuasion. but the scout said, if you take this kid, you'll be getting a HOFer.

that was a bold prediction. and an accurate one.  

that looks bad now. but Hammonds was a high profile prospect that had everyone talking. I remember hearing an interview about the scout that suggested signing Jeter. as the story goes, the yankees didn't want him, at least as a 1st rounder. it took some serious persuasion. but the scout said, if you take this kid, you'll be getting a HOFer.

that was a bold prediction. and an accurate one.

Yeah it's understandable.

I mean, none of Jeter's skills would really stood out as a prospect. He's average on defense. Not a great base stealer. Doesn't have a lot of power. Isn't a very patient hitter.

What made Jeter reach and maybe exceed his potential is his Baseball IQ. He rarely ever struggled with the kind of boneheaded plays and mental lapses that you often see young players make.

The thing I remember most about Jeter's first few years was how mature he looked and how much he fit in with the Veteran players on the Yanks. He never looked like a rookie. He was ready when he got called up.

The O's had a chance to draft Jeter but they chose Jeffrey Hammonds

The O's would have messed up Jeter. Cal was the SS at the time and by the time Jeter was ready in 1996 Cal was still at short playing all those games in a row. Jeter would have been Hammonds a failed prospect. 

to say orioles drafting record is abysmal would be an understatement. that said, hammonds was widely considered the best player in that draft.

on top of that hammonds was in college, and jeter was high school.

Edited by aurelius