• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 beasley1915

beasley1915

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:24 PM

I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about the orioles trying to acquire a couple of more players. The division is there for the taking and they could use a top rotational arm and a quality second baseman. I know schools a rookie but he just hasn't shown me enough with that extended look he has got.

#2 beasley1915

beasley1915

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

Sorry about the mistype...I meant schoop as I'm sure anyone who read this might suspect.

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:41 PM

here are a couple of thoughts to keep in mind about upgrading 2b. for starters, the options are limited. 2b, as a position, is pretty weak around the league. the other obstacle is that Schoop is the 2bman going forward. so while you may want to bolster things for this year's playoff hunt, you need to think of the negative impact it may have beyond 2014. bench him now, and you'll retard his development for next year. going with the assumption that the O's will be a playoff contender next year, JS will be more important then, since the team is almost certainly losing Cruz and Markakis. he will be a better player in 2015, if he is allowed to go through the growing pains and full fire of a playoff hunt this year.

as for pitching, there's only one top of the rotation guy out there. are you comfortable with the team giving up Bundy, Harvey and Rodriquez to get him? 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,391 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

Lets see who we can get for Flaherty and Lough.  ;)  :)

#5 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Lets see who we can get for Flaherty and Lough.  ;)  :)

some other team's Flaherty & Lough  :D

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#6 beasley1915

beasley1915

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

Weird-o....first of all I fear your mistaken on the assumption they will lose markakis next year. He has made it no secret he wishes to return and will do so I believe at a cheaper rate than he is playing for now. Secondly I have seen the orioles mentioned as possible suitors on mlb trade rumors to two top rotational arms-price and sale. Although I would not be willing to let go of all 3 names you mentioned I would be willing to part with Bundy and Rodrigo for either(I believe harvey to be on equal footing with bundy now since the surgery and would rather keep him). Plus I believe the O's have some pretty good.minor league pitching depth to account for the loss of both. Finally to answer the second base ? I have seen where the Phil's could possibly let Utley go and would look all the way into that assuming they would eat some of his contract. Have also saw where the rays might consider parting with zobtist who would also represent a significant upgrade at second

#7 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:08 PM

Weird-o....first of all I fear your mistaken on the assumption they will lose markakis next year. He has made it no secret he wishes to return and will do so I believe at a cheaper rate than he is playing for now. Secondly I have seen the orioles mentioned as possible suitors on mlb trade rumors to two top rotational arms-price and sale. Although I would not be willing to let go of all 3 names you mentioned I would be willing to part with Bundy and Rodrigo for either(I believe harvey to be on equal footing with bundy now since the surgery and would rather keep him). Plus I believe the O's have some pretty good.minor league pitching depth to account for the loss of both. Finally to answer the second base ? I have seen where the Phil's could possibly let Utley go and would look all the way into that assuming they would eat some of his contract. Have also saw where the rays might consider parting with zobtist who would also represent a significant upgrade at second

Utley is a real risky acquisition. and if you ask Philly to pay the bulk of his salary, then they're going to ask the O's to kick in some nice prospects. plus, you have to keep him for a minimum of 1 more year. and if his 2014 season goes right (and you'll want it to go right if you trade for him) his 2015 salary can jump up to $25M. if he stay's healthy, he has vesting options that will kick in and keep him on the payroll thru 2018. he'll be 39 in 2018. and the team can't decline the vesting option, if he has 500 PAs each season.

I've always been a Zobrist fan. 

#8 kudzu

kudzu

Crude Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,910 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:16 PM

I've always been a Zobrist fan. 

Why is that. exactly ?

#9 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,673 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:31 PM

Speaking of trades, more trades, and an infitnite number of trades, has anyone seen dude around?

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

#10 kudzu

kudzu

Crude Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,910 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:45 PM

Speaking of trades, more trades, and an infitnite number of trades, has anyone seen dude around?

dude is an officer and a gentleman.

it was only a matter of time until this board degenerated into a place in which he could no longer contribute.

Still, like you, I really miss his bat-shiite crazy trade scenarios...

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:25 AM

Why is that. exactly ?

he's a real good utility player that made himself an everyday player by being able to plug whatever holes Madden had in his line up for any given game. he's a self made player, so to speak.   

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:28 AM

it was only a matter of time until this board degenerated into a place in which he could no longer contribute.

he's a good guy, for sure. there were times when I needed a compass and a protractor to keep up with his trades scenarios. 

#13 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:38 AM

IF the Rays trade Price you can be sure it will not be in the AL East. I don't see the O's coughing up the prospects to get either Price or Sale. When have we ever seen them shopping at the high end? If they do anything it will be bringing in some second level guy, or possibly a bullpen arm figuring our starters are bound to blow out the pen by the end of the season. I don't see them doing anything at 2B.

#14 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

IF the Rays trade Price you can be sure it will not be in the AL East. I don't see the O's coughing up the prospects to get either Price or Sale. When have we ever seen them shopping at the high end? If they do anything it will be bringing in some second level guy, or possibly a bullpen arm figuring our starters are bound to blow out the pen by the end of the season. I don't see them doing anything at 2B.

Andrew Friedman said they will absolutely trade Price within the division, not that the O's would be a willing partner. AF is shrewd, he won't let inter-division rivalries interfere with him getting the best return for his pitcher. Baltimore and Toronto have the arms that TB wants, so that means Toronto will be the winning bid, of the AL east teams. NY doesn't have the chips, and Boston's chips aren't arms, or so I've heard. 

#15 aurelius

aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 555 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

with the new parity in MLB, more teams will think of themselves as buyers (rightly or wrongly). The end result is fewer trade opportunities. On top of that, I don't see the orioles wanting to part with the few trade prospects that they do have in the minors who could bring back a quality player.

Edited by aurelius, 18 July 2014 - 11:00 AM.

#16 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58,348 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

with the new parity in MLB, more teams will think of themselves as buyers (rightly or wrongly). The end result is fewer trade opportunities. On top of that, I don't see the orioles wanting to part with the few trade prospects that they do have in the minors who could bring back a quality player.

agreed on all points

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#17 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

Jim Bowden made a comment along these lines. and he had an interesting perspective on the trade market. he said, with so many teams being in the hunt, we may not see the typical moves of sellers dumping salary and retooling". instead, he thinks playoff competitors will trade with each other by swapping their strengths to improve their weaknesses.    

Edited by weird-O, 18 July 2014 - 11:37 AM.

#18 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,587 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

Andrew Friedman said they will absolutely trade Price within the division, not that the O's would be a willing partner. AF is shrewd, he won't let inter-division rivalries interfere with him getting the best return for his pitcher. Baltimore and Toronto have the arms that TB wants, so that means Toronto will be the winning bid, of the AL east teams. NY doesn't have the chips, and Boston's chips aren't arms, or so I've heard. 

I believe you know more than I do about this stuff, but I think if Price is traded it would be to the NL, say the Dodgers. I cannot believe the Rays want to be hitting against David Price all the time. The comment about trading in the division may be just to pump up the market. No matter what though, I still saying shopping at the top of the market is not the Orioles' usual style.

#19 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

When was the last time the O's traded for an all star player at the trade deadline? Bobby Bo in 1995. 

#20 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,937 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:40 PM

He's over at baltimore sports and life.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users