• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,613 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:56 PM

Are they really considering giving up prospects for Burnett?

6-9 with a 4.08

http://touch.baltimo...e/p2p-80851500/
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

The origin of that story is from John Paul Morosi, so it's a credible source. But it sounds like there isn't any real traction to it. when I first heard about this, I laughed it off. the O's have 6 starting pitchers, once UJ comes back. and Burnett is only an improvement over UJ. but he isn't going to be removed from the rotation. so from that angle, it doesn't make sense. I pondered it, and the only thing I can come up with, is that the O's like that he has post season experience. but he is horrible in the post season. StL killed him last year, and he straight sucked for NY. add in his huge salary, a bigger salary next year, and that Philly is looking for a cart full of high level prospects, and you have a non story.

I hope it's a non-story, anyway.   

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 Flu

Flu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,515 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

I have a feeling he wouldn't be much of an upgrade for any of the pitchers we have now. Well, maybe slightly over Gonzalez who I could see going to long relief in the pen.

:cool:

Flu

What is a veteran? This is the best definition I've found:

"A veteran is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to the United States of America for an amount 'up to and including my life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer can conceptualize it."

#4 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

No.  Please, No.

#5 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,176 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:02 PM

I have a feeling he wouldn't be much of an upgrade for any of the pitchers we have now. Well, maybe slightly over Gonzalez who I could see going to long relief in the pen.

:cool:

The only thing he has is playoff and, I believe, World Series experience. My sense is that we would give up McFarland, Norris, or Gonzalez to get him plus another prospect. Not sure if I think that's worth it.

#6 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48,613 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:32 PM

Burnett has been struggling the past few weeks. Plus Philly overpaid for him. It would be a bizarre trade.
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#7 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,642 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:48 PM

Burnett has been struggling the past few weeks. Plus Philly overpaid for him. It would be a bizarre trade.

Before his last start he'd gone 7 consecutive outings allowing 3 runs or less, and only one of those outings was less than 7 innings.

Not that I want him, but he's been pretty good of late.

The kids are alright.

#8 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,255 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:14 PM

Bad contract money wise, short term fix and the Phils would want something 1/2 way good. 

Now if the Phils want to part with Cole Hammels I would give up Bundy plus a couple prospects. 

#9 Far from home

Far from home

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,898 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:57 AM

Are they really considering giving up prospects for Burnett?

6-9 with a 4.08

http://touch.baltimo...e/p2p-80851500/

If he doesn't command much in return, this is a good trade for the O's.

Everyone is saying "six starters deep", but that's not really true. Norris, Tillman, and Jimenez are the only three that can really give innings, Gausman isn't pitch-efficient enough to be consistent, and Chen and MGon both lack stamina.
Burnett goes deep into ballgames, has a history in the AL East, and is pitching ok in a division that might be better right now than the AL East, in a hitter's ballpark.
I would rather have Hamels, but I don't think the O's are willing to give up what it would take.
Ideological gravy trains lead to poor decisions.
Learn from the last President, and make this next era one of rebuilding what has been torn down.
Instead of being loyal to your party, be loyal to your country and your people.

#10 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,912 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:04 AM

Everyone is saying "six starters deep", but that's not really true. Norris, Tillman, and Jimenez are the only three that can really give innings, Gausman isn't pitch-efficient enough to be consistent, and Chen and MGon both lack stamina.
Burnett goes deep into ballgames, has a history in the AL East, and is pitching ok in a division that might be better right now than the AL East, in a hitter's ballpark.
I would rather have Hamels, but I don't think the O's are willing to give up what it would take.

The rumor is the O's had a scout at the Phillies game the other night so something could be brewing. I'm for it as long as we don't overspend player wise.

Edited by 85Knight, 22 July 2014 - 08:05 AM.

#11 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:01 AM

although the AL east is usually the toughest division, I don't automatically hand them the mantle of toughest. the AL west is tougher this year. but I can't consider a division with Philly, Miami, and NYM to be tougher than the AL east.

I agree with your appraisal of the starters. but Burnett didn't have much success in NY. however, if DD thinks it's a good move, I happily defer to him. he was the guy who added Saunders. we all scratched our heads at that move, and it worked out great. including DD wise decision to let him walk that winter. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#12 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

The rumor is the O's had a scout at the Phillies game the other night so something could be brewing. I'm for it as long as we don't overspend player wise.

do you know who was pitching?

#13 aurelius

aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 490 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:59 AM

He's walking too many guys. Don't need that. That will hurt him even more in the AL.

#14 Buford

Buford

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

Just do NOT let Ubaldo take the mound as a starter the rest of the season.

Give him mop up duty the rest of the year.

Edited by Buford, 22 July 2014 - 11:11 AM.

Awesomeness - An unmeasurable amount of awesomenimity something can produce

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,866 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

Just do NOT let Ubaldo take the mound as a starter the rest of the season.

Give him mop up duty the rest of the year.

people on this board, and on MASN are still chanting the anthem, "he's great in the 2nd half" well, they're at 98 games and counting. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users