Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soulflower

AJ Burnett

15 posts in this topic

The origin of that story is from John Paul Morosi, so it's a credible source. But it sounds like there isn't any real traction to it. when I first heard about this, I laughed it off. the O's have 6 starting pitchers, once UJ comes back. and Burnett is only an improvement over UJ. but he isn't going to be removed from the rotation. so from that angle, it doesn't make sense. I pondered it, and the only thing I can come up with, is that the O's like that he has post season experience. but he is horrible in the post season. StL killed him last year, and he straight sucked for NY. add in his huge salary, a bigger salary next year, and that Philly is looking for a cart full of high level prospects, and you have a non story.

I hope it's a non-story, anyway.   

I have a feeling he wouldn't be much of an upgrade for any of the pitchers we have now. Well, maybe slightly over Gonzalez who I could see going to long relief in the pen.

B)

The only thing he has is playoff and, I believe, World Series experience. My sense is that we would give up McFarland, Norris, or Gonzalez to get him plus another prospect. Not sure if I think that's worth it.

Burnett has been struggling the past few weeks. Plus Philly overpaid for him. It would be a bizarre trade.

Before his last start he'd gone 7 consecutive outings allowing 3 runs or less, and only one of those outings was less than 7 innings.

Not that I want him, but he's been pretty good of late.

Bad contract money wise, short term fix and the Phils would want something 1/2 way good. 

Now if the Phils want to part with Cole Hammels I would give up Bundy plus a couple prospects. 

Are they really considering giving up prospects for Burnett?

6-9 with a 4.08

http://touch.baltimoresun.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-80851500/

If he doesn't command much in return, this is a good trade for the O's.

Everyone is saying "six starters deep", but that's not really true. Norris, Tillman, and Jimenez are the only three that can really give innings, Gausman isn't pitch-efficient enough to be consistent, and Chen and MGon both lack stamina.

Burnett goes deep into ballgames, has a history in the AL East, and is pitching ok in a division that might be better right now than the AL East, in a hitter's ballpark.

I would rather have Hamels, but I don't think the O's are willing to give up what it would take.

Everyone is saying "six starters deep", but that's not really true. Norris, Tillman, and Jimenez are the only three that can really give innings, Gausman isn't pitch-efficient enough to be consistent, and Chen and MGon both lack stamina.

Burnett goes deep into ballgames, has a history in the AL East, and is pitching ok in a division that might be better right now than the AL East, in a hitter's ballpark.

I would rather have Hamels, but I don't think the O's are willing to give up what it would take.

The rumor is the O's had a scout at the Phillies game the other night so something could be brewing. I'm for it as long as we don't overspend player wise.

Edited by 85Knight

although the AL east is usually the toughest division, I don't automatically hand them the mantle of toughest. the AL west is tougher this year. but I can't consider a division with Philly, Miami, and NYM to be tougher than the AL east.

I agree with your appraisal of the starters. but Burnett didn't have much success in NY. however, if DD thinks it's a good move, I happily defer to him. he was the guy who added Saunders. we all scratched our heads at that move, and it worked out great. including DD wise decision to let him walk that winter. 

The rumor is the O's had a scout at the Phillies game the other night so something could be brewing. I'm for it as long as we don't overspend player wise.

do you know who was pitching?

Just do NOT let Ubaldo take the mound as a starter the rest of the season.

Give him mop up duty the rest of the year.

people on this board, and on MASN are still chanting the anthem, "he's great in the 2nd half" well, they're at 98 games and counting.