Chase Headley to NYY

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,639 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

http://espn.go.com/n...an-diego-padres

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#2 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

Meh acquistion.

I would be extremely disappointed to say the least if the Yank$ finished ahead of the O's this season. That team's chances should have imploded following the Tanaka injury.

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

#3 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,861 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

I don't love or hate the deal.

Headley doesn't bring much to the table in terms of offense but he should be better than the guys they have had playing 3rd this season.

At least they didn't give up much to get him
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#4 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:50 PM

I don't love or hate the deal.

Headley doesn't bring much to the table in terms of offense but he should be better than the guys they have had playing 3rd this season.

At least they didn't give up much to get him

Heck, they even got a million dollars in the deal.

#5 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,584 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:12 PM

This could be a steal for them.  Getting out of the cavernous park in San Diego into a lineup where he'll have a little protection could help him return to his form from a year or two ago.  It's no guarantee of course, but the potential reward far outweighs the risk.

The kids are alright.

#6 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,861 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:11 PM

This could be a steal for them. Getting out of the cavernous park in San Diego into a lineup where he'll have a little protection could help him return to his form from a year or two ago. It's no guarantee of course, but the potential reward far outweighs the risk.

I hope you're right

#7 kudzu

kudzu

Significant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,960 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

.651 OPS so far.

Oh yeah, that'll help them . :rolleyes:

#8 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

He was hurt earlier but has been hitting well of late.

Opening Day - 30 June:  .201/.289/.322

1 Jul - 22 Jul : .319/.319/.449

If he can keep that up, it's a solid acquisition.

#9 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,639 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

They were discussing this trade on mlb radio. they were pondering the question, is he a 2 month rental, or will NY re-sign him. the guys discussing this concluded that it's most likely a rental, because NY isn't getting rid of Pay-Roid that easily.

CH may be a temp, but I don't think Pay-Roid plays a factor in the decision. at 40 yrs old, after missing a full season, it seems like wishful thinking to count on him to return as a productive everyday 3Bman.     

Edited by weird-O, 23 July 2014 - 10:25 AM.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#10 aurelius

aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:45 AM

Headley was/is a curiosity. There's always been the PETCO factor to consider. What would his numbers be playing in a more hitter-friendly park? and when he turned into a beast in 2012, everyone thought well, he's finally arrived. I felt like the lone voice in the wilderness saying "it's only one year" and questioning if he was a  "one year wonder". Then he had a so-so year and many soured on him. Always the enigma.

I guess we will find out now. I see it as a good opportunity to improve with a change of scenery, as long as you're not giving up a lot of talent to get him. But that was the problem, when everyone wanted him after his one big year, the price tag was gonna be high.

Edited by aurelius, 23 July 2014 - 11:47 AM.

#11 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,861 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:53 AM

They were discussing this trade on mlb radio. they were pondering the question, is he a 2 month rental, or will NY re-sign him. the guys discussing this concluded that it's most likely a rental, because NY isn't getting rid of Pay-Roid that easily.

CH may be a temp, but I don't think Pay-Roid plays a factor in the decision. at 40 yrs old, after missing a full season, it seems like wishful thinking to count on him to return as a productive everyday 3Bman.

I agree. If A-Rod returns(and has anything left offense-wise), he will likely spend most of his time at DH. He can't be expected to be an everyday 3B

The Yankees don't have any Major League-ready infielders in their farm system. Headley will likely be re-signed if he finishes the season well...

Edited by soulflower, 23 July 2014 - 11:54 AM.

#12 Agrippa

Agrippa

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,033 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:06 AM

Meh acquistion.

I would be extremely disappointed to say the least if the Yank$ finished ahead of the O's this season. That team's chances should have imploded following the Tanaka injury.

Besides Tanaka, they lost Sabathia and Pineda. 1,2& 4 in the rotation. That should kill any team. They have the forever injured Brian Roberts at2nd and Tex at 1st and Beltran has missed over 20 games this year. That they are 3 games out and 4 over .500 is impressive.

Edited by Agrippa, 24 July 2014 - 09:07 AM.

#13 kudzu

kudzu

Significant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,960 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:43 PM

He was hurt earlier but has been hitting well of late.

Opening Day - 30 June:  .201/.289/.322

1 Jul - 22 Jul : .319/.319/.449

If he can keep that up, it's a solid acquisition.

When you have to cherry pick a .768 OPS, that's saying something.

#14 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

When you have to cherry pick a .768 OPS, that's saying something.

It will be better than what they have been getting at 3B and that's all they are looking for.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,639 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:23 AM

someone on mlb radio said something interesting. he said CH is a player whose reputation is far greater than his actual talent. he had 1 really good year. and for some reason, people think of him as that player, even though he hadn't played like that before or since.

that's a good point.  

#16 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,861 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

someone on mlb radio said something interesting. he said CH is a player whose reputation is far greater than his actual talent. he had 1 really good year. and for some reason, people think of him as that player, even though he hadn't played like that before or since.

that's a good point.

People used to say the same things about Adrian Beltre who had a really good 2004 season followed by a few disappointing years followed by a few consecutive really good years.

I think Headley is the best option for the Yankees at 3B right now but long-term, I'm not sure

#17 kudzu

kudzu

Significant Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,960 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

It will be better than what they have been getting at 3B and that's all they are looking for.

Sure, many teams would take a .768 OPS from 3B, since the MLB average is .718 from that position.

But my point was that Chase Headley (Lamar !) only achieved that lofty achievement in a very small sample size.

His OPS for the season (including his recent hot streak for the Yankees) is .663.

#18 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:20 AM

It's most of July

Sure, many teams would take a .768 OPS from 3B, since the MLB average is .718 from that position.

But my point was that Chase Headley (Lamar !) only achieved that lofty achievement in a very small sample size.

His OPS for the season (including his recent hot streak for the Yankees) is .663.

It's most of July, that's not very small, it's over 10% of the season. My initial post mention he was hurt earlier. While I don't expect him to continue hitting like he has in July, if healthy I don't expect him to hit like he did before July either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users