Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weird-O

Chase Headley to NYY

18 posts in this topic

I don't love or hate the deal.

Headley doesn't bring much to the table in terms of offense but he should be better than the guys they have had playing 3rd this season.

At least they didn't give up much to get him

I don't love or hate the deal.

Headley doesn't bring much to the table in terms of offense but he should be better than the guys they have had playing 3rd this season.

At least they didn't give up much to get him

Heck, they even got a million dollars in the deal.

This could be a steal for them.  Getting out of the cavernous park in San Diego into a lineup where he'll have a little protection could help him return to his form from a year or two ago.  It's no guarantee of course, but the potential reward far outweighs the risk.

This could be a steal for them. Getting out of the cavernous park in San Diego into a lineup where he'll have a little protection could help him return to his form from a year or two ago. It's no guarantee of course, but the potential reward far outweighs the risk.

I hope you're right

He was hurt earlier but has been hitting well of late.

Opening Day - 30 June:  .201/.289/.322

1 Jul - 22 Jul : .319/.319/.449

If he can keep that up, it's a solid acquisition.

They were discussing this trade on mlb radio. they were pondering the question, is he a 2 month rental, or will NY re-sign him. the guys discussing this concluded that it's most likely a rental, because NY isn't getting rid of Pay-Roid that easily.

CH may be a temp, but I don't think Pay-Roid plays a factor in the decision. at 40 yrs old, after missing a full season, it seems like wishful thinking to count on him to return as a productive everyday 3Bman.     

Edited by weird-O

Headley was/is a curiosity. There's always been the PETCO factor to consider. What would his numbers be playing in a more hitter-friendly park? and when he turned into a beast in 2012, everyone thought well, he's finally arrived. I felt like the lone voice in the wilderness saying "it's only one year" and questioning if he was a  "one year wonder". Then he had a so-so year and many soured on him. Always the enigma.

I guess we will find out now. I see it as a good opportunity to improve with a change of scenery, as long as you're not giving up a lot of talent to get him. But that was the problem, when everyone wanted him after his one big year, the price tag was gonna be high.

Edited by aurelius

They were discussing this trade on mlb radio. they were pondering the question, is he a 2 month rental, or will NY re-sign him. the guys discussing this concluded that it's most likely a rental, because NY isn't getting rid of Pay-Roid that easily.

CH may be a temp, but I don't think Pay-Roid plays a factor in the decision. at 40 yrs old, after missing a full season, it seems like wishful thinking to count on him to return as a productive everyday 3Bman.

I agree. If A-Rod returns(and has anything left offense-wise), he will likely spend most of his time at DH. He can't be expected to be an everyday 3B

The Yankees don't have any Major League-ready infielders in their farm system. Headley will likely be re-signed if he finishes the season well...

Edited by soulflower

Meh acquistion.

I would be extremely disappointed to say the least if the Yank$ finished ahead of the O's this season. That team's chances should have imploded following the Tanaka injury.

Besides Tanaka, they lost Sabathia and Pineda. 1,2& 4 in the rotation. That should kill any team. They have the forever injured Brian Roberts at2nd and Tex at 1st and Beltran has missed over 20 games this year. That they are 3 games out and 4 over .500 is impressive. Edited by Agrippa

He was hurt earlier but has been hitting well of late.

Opening Day - 30 June:  .201/.289/.322

1 Jul - 22 Jul : .319/.319/.449

If he can keep that up, it's a solid acquisition.

When you have to cherry pick a .768 OPS, that's saying something.

When you have to cherry pick a .768 OPS, that's saying something.

It will be better than what they have been getting at 3B and that's all they are looking for.

someone on mlb radio said something interesting. he said CH is a player whose reputation is far greater than his actual talent. he had 1 really good year. and for some reason, people think of him as that player, even though he hadn't played like that before or since.

that's a good point.  

someone on mlb radio said something interesting. he said CH is a player whose reputation is far greater than his actual talent. he had 1 really good year. and for some reason, people think of him as that player, even though he hadn't played like that before or since.

that's a good point.

People used to say the same things about Adrian Beltre who had a really good 2004 season followed by a few disappointing years followed by a few consecutive really good years.

I think Headley is the best option for the Yankees at 3B right now but long-term, I'm not sure

It will be better than what they have been getting at 3B and that's all they are looking for.

Sure, many teams would take a .768 OPS from 3B, since the MLB average is .718 from that position.

But my point was that Chase Headley (Lamar !) only achieved that lofty achievement in a very small sample size.

His OPS for the season (including his recent hot streak for the Yankees) is .663.

It's most of July

Sure, many teams would take a .768 OPS from 3B, since the MLB average is .718 from that position.

But my point was that Chase Headley (Lamar !) only achieved that lofty achievement in a very small sample size.

His OPS for the season (including his recent hot streak for the Yankees) is .663.

It's most of July, that's not very small, it's over 10% of the season. My initial post mention he was hurt earlier. While I don't expect him to continue hitting like he has in July, if healthy I don't expect him to hit like he did before July either.