• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

I know folks on this board are about football year around but if you want a break this is a good read about the history of playground basketball which used to be a staple in the summertime at some of the legendary playgrounds around the country.

http://espn.go.com/e...asketball-dying

Edited by 85Knight, 23 July 2014 - 02:07 PM.

#2 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

...And still going strong on Fifth Sterling Avenue in DC at Barry Farms with the Goodman League with Kevin Durant a very frequent guest player with his brother Tony over the years.

You can't find a nicer more down home fellow than Durant anywhere.  Great great great guy and one of my nephews still can't get over Kevin giving him a ride on his shoulders once for no more than ten seconds but the kid will remember it for life.  He must own 15 Durant jerseys and will gladly take another.

#3 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,426 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

I know folks on this board are about football year around but if you want a break this is a good read about the history of playground basketball which used to be a staple in the summertime at some of the legendary playgrounds around the country.

http://espn.go.com/e...asketball-dying

If I were a D1 caliber athlete, I wouldn't risk playing pickup ball on the playground. Playing in leagues is a little different but just going to a court and playing, no way. I haven't played basketball in like 5-6 years and haven't played outside in over a decade. And the last time I played some dude just basically tackles me mid air and I came down on the concrete on the side of my head. You never know what you get or the caliber of player when you play pickup outside.

#4 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

.... and I came down on the concrete on the side of my head.

So that explains it.  :D

Now I'm just joking GA, I think, maybe!  Now don't have your faithful sidekick g-Spot coming after me! 

I don't know about all of these games but they are more than just pickup games.  These are actual teams of players from the professional and college ranks to include players from overseas.  The quality of play is rather good and these guys know not to bang like there is no tomorrow.  In fact, Durant plays a shooting guard and just goes from the top of the key to top of the key tossing up 100-foot shots.  He doesn't bang under the boards and the closest he comes to getting hit is a high five.  It's a lot like all-star games where no one really plays any defense.  It's just show.  These players are more subject to getting hurt at the club.  And many of them do.

Edited by DayWalker, 23 July 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#5 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,426 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:07 PM

So that explains it.  :D

Now I'm just joking GA.  Don't have g-Spot coming after me!  I don't know about all of these games but they are more than just pickup games.  These are actual teams of players from the professional and college ranks to include players from overseas.  The quality of play is rather good and these guy know not to bang like there is no tomorrow.  In fact, Durant plays a point guy and goes from the top of the key to top of the key shooting 100-foot shots.  He doesn't bang under the boards and the closet he comes to getting hit is a high five.  It's a lot like all-star games where no one really plays any defense.  It's just show.  These players are more subject to getting hurt at the club.  And many of them they do.

Those aren't the games I'm talking about. I'm talking straight pickup games outside not games like the Goodman league.

#6 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:29 PM

Those aren't the games I'm talking about. I'm talking straight pickup games outside not games like the Goodman league.

Nope, I would not care to just watch some of those at times when the pieces come out and lead goes flying everywhere when folks get to fighting over the games cause money is on the line.

#7 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,138 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:23 PM

If I were a D1 caliber athlete, I wouldn't risk playing pickup ball on the playground. Playing in leagues is a little different but just going to a court and playing, no way. I haven't played basketball in like 5-6 years and haven't played outside in over a decade. And the last time I played some dude just basically tackles me mid air and I came down on the concrete on the side of my head. You never know what you get or the caliber of player when you play pickup outside.

The question is why aren't even the average players playing on the playground now? I know times are different now but when I was a kid all we did was play outside. It's a shame because I think it has hurt the overall game because young kids don't get to play as much as we did. I think kids are just different these days and the violence outdoors probably has a lot to do with it.

#8 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:23 AM

True but the next generation never does what the previous generation did at all ages and the older generation always swears life was better before.

#9 Guest_harcohorns_*

Guest_harcohorns_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

I remember playing pick up games down off of Perring Pkwy  ( Putty Hill park I believe it was called)   Sam Cassel used to show up and play there all the time..I played a few times against him and scored the game winner to knock his squad off one time (my basketball claim to fame lol)  .  I used to drive around everywhere in the summer looking for games going on.. Bel Air HS was always sure bet for some run...  Now a days you drive by court after court, no one playing and most don't even have rims anymore..   I will say Glasgow Park on rte 40 just across the Md line in DE always seems to have games going on.. They have 4 lighted well kept courts though..

Edited by harcohorns, 25 July 2014 - 05:02 PM.

#10 dunkone

dunkone

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 464 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

in terms of playground ball.....i think the proliferation of aau ball has played a big part in why kids are no longer on the playground...in my day we started at the dc boys and girls club, in the summer it was all playgounds, there didn't seem to be as many aau teams at that time... the teams that existed were true "all star teams'....my big dream was to play as much as i could at the club and on the playground and hopefully play at dc dunbar for joe dean davidson...now one kids start playing there is a rush to get them on an aau team, followed by the making sure they are being "seen" by the big private schools, followed by making sure they are in the organized exposure events during the open recruiting periods in the summer so the college coaches can see them and spending there summers in camps......no private school coaches or college coaches are hangin around playgrounds these days...

Edited by dunkone, 28 July 2014 - 04:01 PM.

#11 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:39 PM

And the kids don't seem to do much hangin' around the classroom to me....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users