#3 octoburn

octoburn

-------------

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,487 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

He got off light in my opinion

Indeed he did. He's still a total POS in my opinion. I hope they have the worst season ever. I cannot support thugs just because they are paid to play on a team that bears our area's name. :rolleyes:

Domestic violence is not a joke. Not taking it seriously is ~ and a very bad one. :mad:

#4 Creekman

Creekman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

Indeed he did. He's still a total POS in my opinion. I hope they have the worst season ever. I cannot support thugs just because they are paid to play on a team that bears our area's name. :rolleyes:

Domestic violence is not a joke. Not taking it seriously is ~ and a very bad one. :mad:

So you are hoping that the Ravens and all their players and fans suffer because one player committed an act of abuse and stupidity.

#5 octoburn

octoburn

-------------

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,487 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

So you are hoping that the Ravens and all their players and fans suffer because one player committed an act of abuse and stupidity.

Yes. Too many seem to have a double standard when it comes to domestic violence.

One would hope that they would have a different opinion if one of their daughters or other women in their lives were to be punched unconscious by someone with or without the physical capability of a professional athlete.

And it is not really just one player ~ is it? Too many people are willing to overlook horrible behavior as long as they think a player will produce winning results for a team.

#6 babylinux

babylinux

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,147 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:22 AM

I hope they have the worst season ever.

I bet you're real fun at tailgates.  :P

#7 octoburn

octoburn

-------------

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,487 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

I bet you're real fun at tailgates.  :P

You can excuse domestic violence to your heart's content. When an act of domestic violence is treated as having less importance and deserving of less punishment than other ~ more trivial matters by the Ravens and the NFL that carry bigger punishments and suspensions ~ I have zero respect or support for either.

#8 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:41 AM

You can excuse domestic violence to your heart's content. When an act of domestic violence is treated as having less importance and deserving of less punishment than other ~ more trivial matters by the Ravens and the NFL that carry bigger punishments and suspensions ~ I have zero respect or support for either.

What other acts were punished more strongly? The only ones I can think of are those resulting from positive urinalyses for banned substances.

I think when a player is arrested, the NFL allows the law to make its decisions then metes out its own punishment on top of that. Since the piss tests are internal, it feels like the only punishment possible is what it prescribes and they tend to be less lenient.

#9 octoburn

octoburn

-------------

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,487 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

What other acts were punished more strongly? The only ones I can think of are those resulting from positive urinalyses for banned substances.

I think when a player is arrested, the NFL allows the law to make its decisions then metes out its own punishment on top of that. Since the piss tests are internal, it feels like the only punishment possible is what it prescribes and they tend to be less lenient.

Do you think that domestic violence is not as bad and deserving of more serious punishment than testing positive for a banned substance? :confused:

It amounts to ranking such behavior in terms of relative importance.

It reflects on the NFL as well.

#10 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,986 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

Nobody who hasn't seen the video from inside the elevator really knows exactly what happened.  Mortensen made brief mention a few months back that someone who HAD seen the video suggested she "violently attacked" Ray first, he struck her once, then again, and the second time she fell and hit her head on the way down.  That's the only time to my knowledge anyone has bothered to try to explain anything from that video in real detail.  And it's just words.

The phrase "violently attacked" suggests to me that she likely went ape-**** on him over something.  Who knows what.  Without seeing the video, I don't know for sure.  I envision kicking, punching, scratching, etc... rage... unrelenting attempts to hurt him.  Maybe she understands her role in initiating it, and maybe that's why she went to see the commissioner with him.  It's dysfunctional, but it is what it is.  But if anybody "violently attacks" me... I'll do whatever needs to be done to stop it.  Don't care who it is, man or woman, "friend" or foe.  If "restraint" isn't working, whatever has to come next is what happens.  I see gray area... if he initiated... he's a P.O.S.  If she initiated and was looking to do real harm... she's the P.O.S.  But I'm of the mindset that when one tries to harm another, they take the risk of what might happen to them as well.

Edited by Ravens2006, 24 July 2014 - 12:34 PM.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#11 Struds

Struds

Moderate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:35 PM

Do you think that domestic violence is not as bad and deserving of more serious punishment than testing positive for a banned substance? :confused:

It amounts to ranking such behavior in terms of relative importance.

It reflects on the NFL as well.

Not sure how you think I said that, but the answer is no.  I do believe that it is up to the justice system to punish lawbreakers. Any punishment the NFL hands out is in addition to what the law decided. 

OTOH, the NFL has internal control of its testing program and hands out the only punishment for violations of its rules. The justice system cannot tack on punishment to a player who comes up hot for banned substances. 

#12 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,783 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

I think it's a disgrace.

#13 jonsensback

jonsensback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,884 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:41 PM

I think the 2 days is appropriate in comparison with the normal work place.

I doubt a DoD fed employee would be fired or even lose their clearance for a first time offense.

You might not even lose work time if you are not convicted of a crime.

Now I'm sure I will be accused of being pro domestic violence, but of course that's BS coming from someone on a public forum that doesn't even no me.

Edited by jonsensback, 24 July 2014 - 01:41 PM.

#14 octoburn

octoburn

-------------

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,487 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

I think the 2 days is appropriate in comparison with the normal work place.

I doubt a DoD fed employee would be fired or even lose their clearance for a first time offense.

You might not even lose work time if you are not convicted of a crime.

Now I'm sure I will be accused of being pro domestic violence, but of course that's BS coming from someone on a public forum that doesn't even no me.

I know you better than to think that from things you have said in the past.

#15 jonsensback

jonsensback

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,884 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

I know you better than to think that from things you have said in the past.

Thanks lady ;) !

I read a number of twitters from all sorts of sports figures that includes former Raven Derrick Mason, and they all think Rice got too light of a suspension.  But I would ask them the same.  Is this not appropriate punishment as compared to the normal work force? 

And what kind of message should the NFL send?  Destroy someone who has been an outstanding rep for the NFL for over six years because of one very stupid mistake?

I guess that would send a message. Screw up and your done and there is no such thing as redemption.  

#16 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,888 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

Nobody who hasn't seen the video from inside the elevator really knows exactly what happened.  Mortensen made brief mention a few months back that someone who HAD seen the video suggested she "violently attacked" Ray first, he struck her once, then again, and the second time she fell and hit her head on the way down.  That's the only time to my knowledge anyone has bothered to try to explain anything from that video in real detail.  And it's just words.

The phrase "violently attacked" suggests to me that she likely went ape-**** on him over something.  Who knows what.  Without seeing the video, I don't know for sure.  I envision kicking, punching, scratching, etc... rage... unrelenting attempts to hurt him.  Maybe she understands her role in initiating it, and maybe that's why she went to see the commissioner with him.  It's dysfunctional, but it is what it is.  But if anybody "violently attacks" me... I'll do whatever needs to be done to stop it.  Don't care who it is, man or woman, "friend" or foe.  If "restraint" isn't working, whatever has to come next is what happens.  I see gray area... if he initiated... he's a P.O.S.  If she initiated and was looking to do real harm... she's the P.O.S.  But I'm of the mindset that when one tries to harm another, they take the risk of what might happen to them as well.

Thank you. People talk about a double standard - what about when a woman attacks a man? Oh that never happens... a woman cannot hurt a man who is stronger and larger than her... no man should ever hit a woman... any man who hits a woman is a POS... anyone who tries to understand the larger circumstances in a situation we know nothing about is condoning domestic violence. BS.

I hope the Ravens have a great season and that Ray Rice becomes a hero and role model (as he has been for most of his life except for one drunken argument or whatever). I hope that he and his wife take this incident as a turning point in their relationship and have a great life together. And I hope that legalistic busybodies will thus learn that rushing to judgement based on a TV video and rumors is not the full picture. I bet Roger Goodell, the NJ prosecutors office, and the Ravens brass know a lot more about what happened than we do.

#17 Deepurple

Deepurple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:22 PM

1. I of all people expected it to be 4 or more games. But, knowing that both the courts and Goodell made their decisions, based on a totality of the circumstances, I am more than happy with this decision.

#18 babylinux

babylinux

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,147 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

OK, now we can all move on and enjoy the preseason and the rest of the year  :)

#19 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,668 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:28 PM

He got off light but just like with Roberto Alomar fans will sing a different tune when Ray is carrying the ball after game 2. 

#20 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,285 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

why get so mad at Rice and his teammates. there are guys who pound on their wives on a regular basis. and they never get in trouble for it. comparatively speaking, this is a big victory. he raised awareness of a troubling issue. maybe that will keep some attention on the subject for awhile. now let's all take a breath, watch Jennifer Lopez deliver a gripping performance in Enough, and root for them Ravens to win it all this year.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Ray Rice, Ravens, Domestic Violence

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users