Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

What will this season's achilles heel be?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Deepurple

Deepurple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

Actually, as much as I love this defensive line, I think our overall team weakness will be on the defense. Specifically, in the secondary, the D-backs.

#2 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,794 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 10:16 PM

Juan Castillo.

#3 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,548 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

Still not convinced the O-line will be a lot better.  Other than that, the defensive secondary is questionable. 

You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#4 gordon89

gordon89

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:22 PM

too early to tell.

#5 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,794 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:35 AM

Preston made an interesting comment in one of his recent articles. He stated that Juan Castillo would no longer be involved in PLAY CALLING. There was never any mention last year that Castillo was involved in any play calling; just O-line schemes. THAT might certainly explain a few things. It was just assumed that Caldwel was doing all the play calling.

#6 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

Laws and the legal system for the current group of inmates.

#7 Deepurple

Deepurple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:37 AM

Now Lardarius Webb is down with some kind of back problems. As it stands, we now have no depth at corner and I surely hope the Ravens F.O. is on the hunt for some talent.

To address Old Colts, I am very confident that our O-line will be MUCH better than last year. The talent level is there, unlike last year.

#8 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:00 AM

It looks like Corner is going to be a problem at this point. That is surely a position where a half dozen mediocre players does not compensate for having limited really good players.

#9 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:18 PM

Ravens have had some recent success with less-than household names at corner.

Free safety is still a concern.  Elam at his natural position SS will be a strength.  Hopefully Brooks can win/earn the FS job.  Stewart is a SS too.

#10 tyrexden

tyrexden

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 04:27 PM

same as what its always been for the Ravens.   substandard quarterback play.   

too bad y'all couldn't have nabbed Johnny Football.

#11 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,156 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 05:14 PM

Ha ha ha!  The Ravens drafted Johnny Eightball in the fifth round of the 2007 draft...his name was troy smith. 

I guess a college qb is a step up considering the have a high school coach...and a crook owner.   There is probably more staph infection in the Browns locker room than their is in their shady owner's truck stop bathroom. 

Nice to see a Browns fan here...you got more moxie the the skins and steagles fans have gone M.I.A. 

Please don't leave. 

#12 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,723 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:31 PM

I would tote up the stats on the miserible QB play the Browns have had over the last twenty or so years but I'm worried I'd develop carpel tunnel.

Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#13 Rael

Rael

Rational member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,723 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 12:36 PM

I would tote up the stats on the miserible QB play the Browns have had over the last twenty or so years but I'm worried I'd develop carpel tunnel.

Nevermind, I found a nice web page that concisely lays out the sad and desparate QB situation for Cleveland part II.

http://returnofcleve...cks-since-1999/

When Tim Couch is the best on your list, well, enough said.

Pessimism is just an ugly word for 'pattern recognition'.

#14 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,794 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

To address Old Colts, I am very confident that our O-line will be MUCH better than last year. The talent level is there, unlike last year.

The "talent level"? LOL. The failed experiment to try to play Jensen at RT was an immediate failure. (Better sooner than later.) Jah Reid is a perennial failure. And Wagner has done nothing in the NFL at RT. Talent level? Now THAT'S funny.

#15 Deepurple

Deepurple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:36 PM

Wow.

#16 Deepurple

Deepurple

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 10:39 PM

The "talent level"? LOL. The failed experiment to try to play Jensen at RT was an immediate failure. (Better sooner than later.) Jah Reid is a perennial failure. And Wagner has done nothing in the NFL at RT. Talent level? Now THAT'S funny.

I said it would be much better than last year, and it is.

#17 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,794 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:19 AM

I said it would be much better than last year, and it is.

Well...if you said it...then it must be true.

:rolleyes:

(And considering how abysmal last year's O-line was, it wouldn't take much to be better than last year. That still doesn't mean it'll be good. And if it's not good, then the O-line will be this season's achilles heel.)

#18 TeamofSTEEL

TeamofSTEEL

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:25 AM

Defense and Dean Pees.

#19 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:01 PM

Well...if you said it...then it must be true.

:rolleyes:

(And considering how abysmal last year's O-line was, it wouldn't take much to be better than last year. That still doesn't mean it'll be good. And if it's not good, then the O-line will be this season's achilles heel.)

I don't share your assumption that because Wagner is unproven that means he will be unable to do a good job. On paper he should be OK, and every young player has to start somewhere. But there is no question that he is unproven in NFL play, and if he is not able to do a good job that will be a problem. If any of the links of the OL chain are weak that is a problem. If the OL schemes and calls are not improved that is a problem. Bottom line - if the OL is not much improved that will be the achilles heel. I totally agree that without solid quality OL, nothing good can happen.

#20 OriginalColtsFan

OriginalColtsFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,794 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

I don't share your assumption that because Wagner is unproven that means he will be unable to do a good job. On paper he should be OK, and every young player has to start somewhere. But there is no question that he is unproven in NFL play, and if he is not able to do a good job that will be a problem. If any of the links of the OL chain are weak that is a problem. If the OL schemes and calls are not improved that is a problem. Bottom line - if the OL is not much improved that will be the achilles heel. I totally agree that without solid quality OL, nothing good can happen.

I think we're pretty much saying the same thing. The offense hinges on the O-line, and there are several questions about the O-line entering this season, Wagner, as a totally unproven entity, being one of them. And having see what happened with Gradkowski, last year's "unproven entity", there's no precedent to conclude that the coaching staff really knows what it's doing when it comes to the offensive line. To the contrary, there's evidence to conclude they don't. So until they show that they CAN put together a good O-line, with good blocking schemes, and good play calling, the O-line is the Achilles Heel heading into the season as far as I'm concerned.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users