• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90,791 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:02 PM

They don't. It's not their business, nor are they experts in curtailing aggressive driving behavior. Same with guns. As it should be.

I can absolutely imagine a doctor asking a parent about the car seat for the kid, etc. it only makes sense, and it's fine with me. I'm not paranoid.
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - HL Mencken

#22 kudzu

kudzu

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32,992 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

I can absolutely imagine a doctor asking a parent about the car seat for the kid, etc. it only makes sense, and it's fine with me. I'm not paranoid.

If you cannot differentiate between a car seat in the car and a gun in the home, then you are seriously stupid beyond imagination.

#23 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90,791 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:06 PM

If you cannot differentiate between a car seat in the car and a gun in the home, then you are seriously stupid beyond imagination.

Quite the antithesis, the similarities are obvious, for anyone willing to see them.
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - HL Mencken

#24 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,398 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:21 PM

Zen -

Do you think it's appropriate for a doctor, during a routine exam, to ask if there are guns in the
home ?

I think it's fine for a pediatrician or GP to review basic safety measures with new parents: keeping cleaning products out of reach, car
seats, blocking electrical outlets and yes keeping guns locked up.

You would be surprised how uncommon common sense can be.

An adult in the course of an exam, of course not. Though maybe in the case of taking in an elderly parent there should be some sort of similar review.

What do you think?

#25 Calamari

Calamari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,475 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:35 PM

So if a doctor dares to use his freedom of speech, does he get shot now?  :rolleyes:

"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality."
~George Washington

Has Obama Taken Away Your Guns Yet?

#26 songfourone

songfourone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30,286 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

The physician is asking about guns in the home because he needs to evaluate the patients risk for lead poisoning.

Duh!!
"Morality cannot be legislated but behavior can be regulated. Judicial decrees may not change the heart, but they can restrain the heartless.” MLK

#27 Guest_octoburn_*

Guest_octoburn_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:37 AM

Doctors would accomplish much more in terms of a child's safety and health by asking if they are left at home alone ~ if their parent(s) uses drugs or drinks a lot~ or of mama has many "sleepovers" with more than one "boyfriend".  Those things present a far greater danger to children.  Many instances of child abuse seem to involve "mother's boyfriend

#28 yeah

yeah

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:47 AM

yes docs should absolutely ask about it, and document it

#29 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,421 posts
  • LocationColumbia

Posted 30 July 2014 - 07:55 AM

Yeah, what do the statistics say?

They say more people die from drugs than guns.

#30 Guest_slapshot_*

Guest_slapshot_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2014 - 08:12 AM

More people die from drugs than from car accidents

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=14554903

....although gun related deaths are right up near the top, and if one were to normalize by the number of gun owners, or the number of drug users (including home/prescribed use), or the number of drivers....ummm, guns are the leading cause. per user.

Edited by slapshot, 30 July 2014 - 08:16 AM.

#31 Gopher

Gopher

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,235 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

Here's a link to the actual decision:

http://media.ca11.us...s/201214009.pdf

It's a good decision.  Contrary to the lies spewing forth from the civilian disarmament crowd, there are no First Amendment issues involved.  The State has the right to regulate a doctor's conduct.  The law basically states that a doctor cannot demand information from a patient that is irrelevant to that patient's medical care, keep records of irrelevant information, harass patients in order to extract irrelevant information or discriminate against those who refuse to provide it.  The AMA basically says the same thing.  If the information is relevant then there are no restrictions.  If doctors want to offer their patients gun safety classes then they are free to do so.  If they want to plaster the walls of their office with anti-gun propaganda then there's nothing stopping them.  Seems like a reasonable and common sense approach to me.

#32 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,613 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

Zen -

Do you think it's appropriate for a doctor, during a routine exam, to ask if there are guns in the home ?

Doctors have enough on their minds without having to worry about being drawn into a law suit by some paranoid inbred nose picking Florida gomer.

Edited by zenwalk, 30 July 2014 - 11:54 AM.

"A screaming comes across the sky. . ." -- Thomas Pynchon

#33 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,398 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

Here's a link to the actual decision:

http://media.ca11.us...s/201214009.pdf

It's a good decision.  Contrary to the lies spewing forth from the civilian disarmament crowd, there are no First Amendment issues involved.  The State has the right to regulate a doctor's conduct.  The law basically states that a doctor cannot demand information from a patient that is irrelevant to that patient's medical care, keep records of irrelevant information, harass patients in order to extract irrelevant information or discriminate against those who refuse to provide it.  The AMA basically says the same thing.  If the information is relevant then there are no restrictions.  If doctors want to offer their patients gun safety classes then they are free to do so.  If they want to plaster the walls of their office with anti-gun propaganda then there's nothing stopping them.  Seems like a reasonable and common sense approach to me.

Pure horse****.  Were patients being intimidated into providing information about guns?  Don't be ridiculous. This is pure grandstanding--as noted the AMA has detailed rules that more than cover this.

Your tax dollars are work. 

#34 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,613 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

Pure horse****.  Were patients being intimidated into providing information about guns?  Don't be ridiculous. This is pure grandstanding--as noted the AMA has detailed rules that more than cover this.

Your tax dollars are work. 

The NRA has held up the Surgeon General posting for years now.  This is part of that. It's a war to mute rational voices on the gun issue.   (BTW C Everett Coop died)

http://billmoyers.co...eneral-nominee/

Edited by zenwalk, 30 July 2014 - 01:15 PM.

#35 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90,791 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:10 PM

They say more people die from drugs than guns.

Doctors ask about drug use.

#36 zenwalk

zenwalk

Pundit

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,613 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

The nosy b******s!

#37 ms maggie

ms maggie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,398 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:49 PM

When I give blood I am always asked about recent tattoos and trading sex for drugs or having sex with anyone who has traded sex for drugs.  

I'm 63 years old.

So I think being asked if you keep a gun in the home isn't a big deal!

#38 Calamari

Calamari

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,475 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

The nosy b******s!

Muzzle those pesky doctors about that too, where's the illegal drug lobby when you need them! <_<

"As Mankind becomes more liberal, they will be more apt to allow that all those who conduct themselves as worthy members of the community are equally entitled to the protections of civil government. I hope ever to see America among the foremost nations of justice and liberality."
~George Washington

Has Obama Taken Away Your Guns Yet?

#39 FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,421 posts
  • LocationColumbia

Posted 30 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

Doctors have enough on their minds without having to worry about being drawn into a law suit by some paranoid inbred nose picking Florida gomer.

67% of all homicides in Florida last year were by firearms.

In Maryland, the percentage was 69%.

"Nose-picking Gomer" is alive and well in Baltimore City.

http://www.washingto...wpsrc=PT0000203

Edited by FrankRizzo, 30 July 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#40 Shad

Shad

Specksioneer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,087 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

More on the Florida Gag Order.

http://seattlemamado...rician-resolve/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users