• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,578 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

Thanks to Johns Hopkins Healthcare, a bunch of kids from our shelter went to the O's game last night. For many of them, this was their first major league baseball game. And while it may very well be the norm for all other parks, I was struck by just how much OPACY engages fans, particularly young ones, with the Jumbotron's games/crowd shots. The kids/hams were thrilled to make it on the big screen during one such pan of the crowd during a dance contest. Of course, such engagement can be a bit of a no brainer, given that baseball can be a bit of a bore for young ones when compared to other spectator sports. Anyway, I think some new O's fans were created in the process--which was pretty cool to see.

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

#2 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,344 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

Just curious, since the game went so late, did the kids get to stay until the end? If so, what a great first baseball experience! Not only was it baseball's most dramatic endgame scenario, but Manny Machado I would think would have to be extremely attractive to kids. Even if they didn't stay until the end that would've been a good game for kids to see - a lot of action and scoring. I love hearing about kids and baseball...

#3 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,578 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

Just curious, since the game went so late, did the kids get to stay until the end? If so, what a great first baseball experience! Not only was it baseball's most dramatic endgame scenario, but Manny Machado I would think would have to be extremely attractive to kids. Even if they didn't stay until the end that would've been a good game for kids to see - a lot of action and scoring. I love hearing about kids and baseball...

That was the only downside to the game. Since some of the kids were pretty young (9/10), we had to leave after 10 innings with the drice ahead of us. But they did remind me of Manny's heroics when I came to work earlier today.

And I hear you about kids and baseball. Last night reminded me of some of my greatest childhood memories.

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users