• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 beasley1915

beasley1915

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:08 PM

Where's Joy? Your boy puts up another 0fer. Only a few more game before he's below the Mendoza line. What are they waiting on? Didn't the yanks turn Roberts loose?

#2 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:24 PM

If you're too stupid to read what the scouts say about Schoop and use your own eyes that's your problem.

The guy's clearly going to be an excellent 2nd baseman with plus power. He also skipped triple A and is a very young rookie.

I've said repeatedly that we should send him down to triple A for regular at bats until the rosters expand and bring up Lombardozi.

Time will prove me right and reveal your hyperbole for what it is - bed wetting.

#3 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:27 PM

Let me rephrase that, he didn't have a full season at triple A

#4 aurelius

aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:29 PM

The 248 OBP is well.... beyond words. There's probably a dozen NL pitchers who could do better.

Edited by aurelius, 02 August 2014 - 10:30 PM.

#5 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:41 PM

"A high-contact hitter with developing power, Schoop is still adding bulk, which should help some of the 24 doubles he hit in 2011 turn into future homers. As it is, he still looks near ready for the bigs, with only another year or so of eyeball-training remaining. He'll return to AA to open 2013, and should apply a new focus."

http://www.scoutingb...m/players/p2869

""Defensively, Schoop is going to be really solid no matter where they put him," said a scout from outside the organization. "He doesn't have great foot speed, which is probably why they have him at third base, but he handles everything there. He has plenty of arm. He can handle that or second base. And I've heard he can handle shortstop."

Schoop, the Orioles' minor league Player of the Year in 2011, batted .245/.324/.386 with 24 doubles, a triple, 14 homers and 56 RBIs in 485 at-bats at Bowie this summer.

"I talked to scouts about him all the time. I loved him at Bowie this year," the rival scout said earlier this week. "He's the guy everybody is intrigued by. To me, he looks like he's a little tired at this point. His hand speed at the plate looks a little down. I think that's why his batting numbers aren't quite as good as they might be.

"I think he has a ton of upside. From a batting standpoint, he's very young and raw, but when he's on, he has really good bat speed and really strong hands. The ball explodes off his bat. I saw that, and talked to other scouts who saw it. They're all very interested in what he's doing."

"The signs are there that he's really going to hit," the scout said. "I liked him at Bowie and I think he's going to be an everyday player up there eventually. Probably at third base. I talked to other people and that's the general consensus."

http://www.masnsport...han-schoop.html

#6 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:43 PM

Scouting Report: Listed at a healthy 6-foot-2 and 210 pounds, Schoop appears more physically imposing in person than those numbers suggest. He is a quality athlete with excellent strength and projection remaining in his body. Schoop can leverage his natural power into plenty of hard contact to the pull side. He sees the ball well coming from left-handers but will struggle with pitch recognition and strike zone judgment against right-handers. Regardless of which side the pitcher is throwing from, Schoop’s approach at the plate is aggressive. He likes to swing early and often and must learn to wait for and identify pitches he can drive. His pull-happy approach also causes him to swing through some stuff on the outer third.

While scouting Schoop in each of the last two seasons, I have noted an inability to catch up to good velocity (93-plus) on the inner third, something pitchers will catch on to quickly at the major-league level. Schoop has good enough bat speed and just enough barrel control to suggest that he could become an average hitter with more experience against advanced arms. His power potential also plays at an average level but depends heavily on the utility of his hit tool.

Schoop has played shortstop throughout most of his minor-league-career, though he has shifted to second base on occasion, mostly in deference to Manny Machado’s higher profile at shortstop. Schoop’s actions and range are both fringy for the left side, and most scouts believe he’ll be better suited for second in the future. He shows decent hands and ability to range enough to get most balls in his area on the right side. He has the arm strength for shortstop or third base and consistently flashes his plus arm on the pivot from second. As a below-average runner at this stage of his development, Schoop could continue to slow and may need to move to third base or right field long term.

All told, Schoop owns an intriguing package of tools on both sides of the ball. He has the bat to play at either second base or third base and could evolve into a decent everyday player if he can polish his offensive game to maximize the utility of his hit and power tools.

http://www.baseballp...articleid=21717

#7 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 04:57 AM

He fits right in with this line-up...some power, extremely poor plate discipline, will get himself out more often than not.....don't throw him strikes.  Pretty simple approach that will work most of the time with Oriole hitters.  I'm still perplexed why anyone throws Jones strikes. 

#8 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:10 PM

Where's Joy? Your boy puts up another 0fer. Only a few more game before he's below the Mendoza line. What are they waiting on? Didn't the yanks turn Roberts loose?

Duquette seems to know we have an offensive problem at second going forward this year.  Roch reported two days ago on MASN that the O's were close to trading for Cabrera from Cleveland and were going to stick him at second.  Nats beat them out and he is now there starter at second.  I still can't believe Lombo has fallen so far in their eyes that he isn't even considered as a replacement for two guys that are hitting .200 and strike out every fourth AB.  I checked on how he is doing lately at Norfolk and he is on fire his last 10 games raking at .433 avg with an OBP of .485. Only 3 Ks in last 30 ABs.  

#9 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

A replacement for Schoop for right now would be good.  I wouldn't DFA him the way Roberts was though.

#10 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,329 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

Duquette seems to know we have an offensive problem at second going forward this year.  Roch reported two days ago on MASN that the O's were close to trading for Cabrera from Cleveland and were going to stick him at second.  Nats beat them out and he is now there starter at second.  I still can't believe Lombo has fallen so far in their eyes that he isn't even considered as a replacement for two guys that are hitting .200 and strike out every fourth AB.  I checked on how he is doing lately at Norfolk and he is on fire his last 10 games raking at .433 avg with an OBP of .485. Only 3 Ks in last 30 ABs.  

Yeah it's nuts that he's been down there so long especially with the lack of lefty bats on the current 25 man roster.  They better bring him up before the rosters expand so he can be eligible for the postseason.

#11 CROUSEMAN

CROUSEMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:49 PM

Yeah it's nuts that he's been down there so long especially with the lack of lefty bats on the current 25 man roster.  They better bring him up before the rosters expand so he can be eligible for the postseason.

This almost has to be one off those crazy Buck loyalty things.  Flaherty and McFarland will have jobs for life as long as Buck is around.  I can see not wanting to hurt Schoop's confidence as he is the future, but geez we need something different at second.  Send him down and see where he is come late Aug.  Why wait till we go in a 5 game losing streak to shake things up.  I mean we could actually have 5 sub .210 hitters in the line-up at one time.  That's insane.

#12 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:30 PM

This almost has to be one off those crazy Buck loyalty things.  Flaherty and McFarland will have jobs for life as long as Buck is around.  I can see not wanting to hurt Schoop's confidence as he is the future, but geez we need something different at second.  Send him down and see where he is come late Aug.  Why wait till we go in a 5 game losing streak to shake things up.  I mean we could actually have 5 sub .210 hitters in the line-up at one time.  That's insane.

They send pitchers down all the time and it doesn't seem to shake their confidence.

All you do is say, "You're going to be an everyday major league ballplayer. Spend the month feasting on Triple A pitching and try and process what you learned up here. We want you to focus on plate discipline. See you in September."

#13 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:32 PM

McFarland has a 3.27 ERA and has given up two runs in his last seven appearances.

#14 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:33 PM

I don't recall Lombardozi being bad defensively.

#15 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,804 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

I don't recall Lombardozi being bad defensively.

I don't even care. We need more offense. We have to try something unless all we're trying to do is make the playoffs. If we're trying to get better we have to do something with this lineup.

#16 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:51 PM

I don't even care. We need more offense. We have to try something unless all we're trying to do is make the playoffs. If we're trying to get better we have to do something with this lineup.

People keep saying this but there's a very good chance that we'll face the Angels/Mariners/or A's in the playoffs and we did pretty well.

Detroit owned this year but that had more to do with rocky pitching in the early part of the season.

#17 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:56 PM

One more thing...

I think we'll going to see a roster move at 2nd base either tomorrow or Friday.

They may decide to keep Schoop and Flaherty for Toronto since it is astro turf and why muck with the defense.

So, we may see a 2nd base call up for Friday's home game against the Cards.

Lombardozi is 3 for 9 against the cards.

#18 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,804 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:00 PM

People keep saying this but there's a very good chance that we'll face the Angels/Mariners/or A's in the playoffs and we did pretty well.

Detroit owned this year but that had more to do with rocky pitching in the early part of the season.

Winning those games was nice but my problem with the offense goes back 3 years. I think we have to try to get better. I remember losing to the Yankees in '12 because our offense couldn't scratch out any runs which led to JJ blowing the games late.

#19 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:06 PM

Winning those games was nice but my problem with the offense goes back 3 years. I think we have to try to get better. I remember losing to the Yankees in '12 because our offense couldn't scratch out any runs which led to JJ blowing the games late.

True, it was especially the case in the deciding game.

Johnson blew those games all by himself.

#20 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,970 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

One thing to think about when we're talking about the offense is that in April and May everyone was wondering where the home runs were and we were putting runs on the board through base hits and doubles.

Now the home runs are back but we've been slumping against this good pitching.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users