• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:06 AM

ECA has been named number 1 in the preseason polls.... Surprised me but also not a bad thing seeing that the top 3 are interchangeable IMO.

The biggest surprise was where he ranked Gilman....

He has them ranks them at number 7 behind GC, Gonzaga, and Northwest. I don't agree with at all on that and I know GH will have a fit when he wakes up to read this lol but I'm with him. I honestly think he missed on that one...

Dallas does a great job with his rankings doing a lot of research when evaluating teams. Maybe he knows something we don't and grey isn't telling us

http://nationalhsfoo...in-marylandd-c/

#2 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 06:44 AM

ECA has been named number 1 in the preseason polls.... Surprised me but also not a bad thing seeing that the top 3 are interchangeable IMO.

He has them ranks them at number 7 behind GC, Gonzaga, and Northwest. I don't agree with at all on that and I know GH will have a fit when he wakes up to read this lol but I'm with him. I honestly think he missed on that one...

Dallas does a great job with his rankings doing a lot of research when evaluating teams. Maybe he knows something we don't and grey isn't telling us

Too be honest Dallas has never really liked Gilman much in his polls..  I think it has to do with he ranked them high a couple times and they lost big  (the first game vs Bosco)  and also don't think he likes their offense much.... but he doesn't do the rankings alone he has people and coaches he confers with in each region and state to create his rankings

Edited by harcohorns, 03 August 2014 - 09:14 AM.

#3 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,224 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

These rankings might be the worst ranking I've seen so far and by a mile. ECA isn't better than Gilman not McD. Northwest, are you f'ing kidding me? No one has any clue how DM will be and GC ahead of Gilman? Hahahaha! Just horrible. Best teams in the area are ECA, McD, Gonzaga and Gilman.

#4 RM7

RM7

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 09:37 AM

He must have made that poll sitting on the can because that's were it belongs.

#5 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:06 PM

These rankings might be the worst ranking I've seen so far and by a mile. ECA isn't better than Gilman not McD. Northwest, are you f'ing kidding me? No one has any clue how DM will be and GC ahead of Gilman? Hahahaha! Just horrible. Best teams in the area are ECA, McD, Gonzaga and Gilman.

It's just so difficult for you to accept a non-private football team being among the best in the state.  Northwest, you question!!!  You know NOTHING about Northwest yet ask if someone is "..f'ing kidding..." in pronouncing them one of the best teams.  Northwest is the defending 4A state champion led by QB Mark Pierce who is the son of one of NW's coaches.  That kid can play and Northwest was a very good team last year; better than Gilman yet you with great ease are willing to pronounce Gilman a top four.  Other than get smacked down to demonstrate that Gilman wasn't a prime time team last year, what have they done to give rise to your top four rankings and calls to call the instant ranking the worse you seen by a mile?

#6 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:10 AM

It's just so difficult for you to accept a non-private football team being among the best in the state.  Northwest, you question!!!  You know NOTHING about Northwest yet ask if someone is "..f'ing kidding..." in pronouncing them one of the best teams.  Northwest is the defending 4A state champion led by QB Mark Pierce who is the son of one of NW's coaches.  That kid can play and Northwest was a very good team last year; better than Gilman yet you with great ease are willing to pronounce Gilman a top four.  Other than get smacked down to demonstrate that Gilman wasn't a prime time team last year, what have they done to give rise to your top four rankings and calls to call the instant ranking the worse you seen by a mile?

I attended the Northwest vs Paint Branch playoff game at Paint Branch last November.  Northwest with #10 (Pierce) was very good last year and could have given the 2013 Greyhounds a tough game.  We'll never get to see if Gilman's size advantage on the offensive and defensive lines would be enough to overcome Northwest's dynamic passing attack & athleticism and Gilman's own anemic offensive philosophy.

#7 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

I attended the Northwest vs Paint Branch playoff game at Paint Branch last November.  Northwest with #10 (Pierce) was very good last year and could have given the 2013 Greyhounds a tough game.  We'll never get to see if Gilman's size advantage on the offensive and defensive lines would be enough to overcome Northwest's dynamic passing attack & athleticism and Gilman's own anemic offensive philosophy.

And I was there as well Gu and I probably sat right in front of you and your crew if you all stood near the entrance of the booth.  It was cold as all heck that night.  NW passed well on PB and repeatedly allowed Pierce to roll out and get to the edge when his receivers were covered.  That sophomore QB played well that night and the previous week also on the road against Quince Orchard.  And he repeated it in the state title game.  I don't know what that 10th-grader ended the season in passing yardage but he was off the chain in the playoffs when it really counted.  And the kid passed with great confidence and trust in his receiver's as he threw to spots.  I spoke with a Suitland coach who was there and I sensed he was greatly concerned about the play of Pierce because I thought he had Paint Branch the winner going into the game as he started off focused on the PB QB.

But GA probably never saw Northwest last year and only ranted about his named personal favorite Damascus he also probably never saw.  I also saw Suitland and thought the two best teams were in the finals but I could have said the same if DuVal was there instead of Suitland.  Either would have beaten Meade to get to the finals.  DuVal and Suitland were that close to me.  Yet that Northwest team of last year was a great squad and so was Middletown.

Edited by DayWalker, 05 August 2014 - 03:45 PM.

#8 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 03:42 PM

And I was there as well Gu and I probably sat right in front of you and your crew if you all stood near the entrance of the booth.  It was cold as all heck that night.  NW passed well on PB and repeatedly allowed Pierce to roll out and get to the edge when his receivers were covered.  That sophomore QB played well that night and the previous week also on the road against Quince Orchard.  And he repeated it in the state title game.  I don't know what that 10th-grader ended the season in passing yardage but he was off the chain in the playoffs when it really counted.  And the kid passed with great confidence and trust in his receiver's as he threw to spots.  I spoke with a Suitland coach who was there and I sensed he was greatly concerned about the play of Pierce because I thought he had Paint Branch the winner going into the game as he started off focus on the PB QB.

But GA probably never saw Northwest last year and only ranted about his named personal favorite Damascus.  I also saw Suitland and thought the two best team were in the finals but I could have said the same if DuVal was there instead of Suitland.  Either would have beaten Meade to get to the finals.  DuVal and Suitland were that close to me.  Yet that Northwest team of last year was a great squad and so was Middletown.

Was sitting on the 50 yd line with Mlf1886, not a crew, and it was extremely cold.  I was impressed with the atmosphere at the game and the athleticism and discipline of both Northwest and Paint Branch.  It was a well-officiated game but what struck me was all the Paint Branch fans in Redskins jackets whining about the officials when they just got outplayed by the Jaguars.  The more things change, the more they stay the same.  Hail to the Deadskins!

#9 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Paint Branch's real complaint was that Northwest was the only team to defeat them in the regular season by just a couple or three points and that was suppose to have been Paint Branch's get-back game but Northwest drop 50-plus point on Paint Branch in the rematch and sent Paint Branch home when they were already at home.

#10 nomad974

nomad974

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 08:46 AM

Going into last years season most people thought Northwest was 1 or 2 yrs away from competing for a state title.   That held true for most of the season with an extremely close win vs Seneca Valley and losses to Gaithersburg & Clarksburg.

However the switch to naming Pierce as the full time starter seem to light a fire, they beat QO twice in 4 weeks and avenged their loss to Gaithersburg. 

Pierce ended up passing for 1741 yards for the season.

Northwests offense is potent, no doubt about it.  The questions going into this season is their Defense and how will they handle being the "hunted".  They lost allot on D (Gills, Manna etc.).  And in my opinion it was their D that won many of the big games last year (Seneca, both QO games, Suitland)

Its gonna be real interesting watching 4A West this year.

#11 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:17 AM

As far as I'm concerned, NW is on par with any team in the state.  When you win the 4A title and bring back a QB like that, they have to be up there.

#12 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

As far as I'm concerned, NW is on par with any team in the state.  When you win the 4A title and bring back a QB like that, they have to be up there.

True G.  It's one thing to get up there but listen very carefully to what nomad is saying about being there when one is the hunted as he phrased it.  And I'll add -- Hunted By ALL.  But I like nomad's most insightful out of the box thinking in this area.

It's a pure savage jungle out there with lots of animals the natural predator of other animals.  :o

#13 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,981 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:14 AM

Of course I get that - everyone wants to take down the champ.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users