• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 JasonM

JasonM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

I'm a little surprised that Pittsburgh is still more hated in Ohio than the Ravens.  I guess Bengal fans tipped the scales towards the Steelers:

http://www.sbnation....sports-hate-map

Not sure why the Ravens are hated in Europe.

#2 babylinux

babylinux

Marraige is a racket!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,203 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:04 AM

Not sure why the Ravens are hated in Europe.

Good question, and why does Canada hate the Giants, and why do they even care?

#3 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,062 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:59 AM

How did these people do their research?

-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,936 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

I don't get hate for a sports team. I'll never understand it

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#5 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,127 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:03 AM

How did these people do their research?

In the first paragraph of the link:

Reddit user KMHokie35 had a simple proposition: ask other Reddit users what their least favorite teams are, and then use the data to fill in the United States of Sports Hate. The results are wonderful:

One guy taking an unscientific survey.

Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#6 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,254 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

The word is over-used for sure, in line with today's emotion-driven opinions and lack of discriminating thinking. Lazy journalism and Twitter-length attention spans. If someone disagrees with you (especially when you disagree with the left) it is because you're a hater.

I think, though, that sports teams are actually a correct usage of the word (for those with strong feelings about their teams) as it really is about emotion, no logical thinking, just straight up "us vs. them." Despise. Resent. Malice. Animosity. Sports appeals to our tribalism, our pride and need to be better than the next guy.

As a Ravens fan, I have over recent years for a number of reasons come to detest the Patriots more than the Steelers. When I think of teams I love to "hate," it is usually those with a level of arrogance that makes them think they are somehow special ("America's Team" to use an outmoded phrase). In the case of NE there is the additional aspect of lying, cheating, crying to the ref and generally acting like their dung don't stink. Across other sports, including holdovers from the past, teams I hate would be the Cowboys, the Lakers, Duke, Notre Dame and above and beyond all rationality the Yankees.

#7 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,936 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:01 AM

I still don't get it. I guess I'm not that invested in sports. Personally if I had a chance to meet Bill Belichick, I'd shake his hand and tell him what  great coach I think he is. Likewise if I met Coach K

Edited by bmore_ken, 05 August 2014 - 09:03 AM.

#8 NCBirdfan

NCBirdfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,062 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 01:14 PM

When I was younger I used to say I hate this team or that team, but the older I get the more I agree with your post. Now sports trolls...that's a different story. ;)

-----------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
- Mark Twain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#9 Kawalimus

Kawalimus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,507 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

It's all about context for me. I don't hate the Steelers the same way I would hate a person I don't like. There's some people who take it way too far but sometimes it's as fun to root against my most hated teams as it is to root for my favorite teams. Who didn't love it when Gonzalez got the game winning hit against the Yankees in 2001? It wasn't about the D-backs it was about "hating" the Yankees. 

#10 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,306 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:25 PM

I hate how people nitpick how people use the word hate these days.  Like "smurf" it's now used to cover anything from good-natured ribbing to primal loathing.  So go ahead and say you "hate" whatever team you want to.  Embrace it.  It's not that big of a deal.  ;)

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#11 Saticon3

Saticon3

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,147 posts
  • LocationJacksonville, FL

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:44 PM

Ken, you're missing out. I've hated the Redskins since I was a tyke. My primary interests in watching the NFL before The Ravens came to be was to:

1. see the Redskins lose,

2. the Cowboys win ( because the Redskins fans hate the Cowboys so and hate when they win)

3. Any team win (or lose) so the outcome of any said game ran contrary to the Redskins situation.

I recall cheering madly for  the Vikings once on the last day of a season because the Vikes victory would eliminate the Redskins from the post-season. I also used to hate teams that would consistently lose to the Redskins.

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64,936 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:06 AM

I still don't get it

#13 Guest_brooks323_*

Guest_brooks323_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

You can't really hate the players on other teams. Those guys are there for just a paycheck. For me it's just hating the fans of other teams such as Steeler fans or Yankee fans. Those fans are the most obnoxious fans. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users