302 replies to this topic

#1 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

http://www.baltimore...0,4404739.story

I'd love to know what kind of proof they provided to establish the change of residence.

#2 Guest_harcohorns_*

Guest_harcohorns_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:52 PM

Interesting, what will the other two guys do? sit out a year?

"While Smith will begin practice with his new Panthers teammates Tuesday, the first day of football practice for MIAA programs, two other players who also transferred to St. Frances likely will not be able to play. Dove said he would have a decision on their requests by Tuesday.

“I don’t think they’re going to be able to play. Period,” Dove said. “They’re not moving their residence.”

If their requests are denied, they won't be able to practice with the team.

Five football players transferred from Calvert Hall to St. Frances for this season as the Panthers embark on their second year as an A Conference team"

Read more: http://www.baltimore...y#ixzz39SG6uG00

Edited by harcohorns, 04 August 2014 - 02:53 PM.

#3 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:03 PM

Don't worry - now that the MIAA showed them how to become eligible, they will just provide documentation that they've "moved" 30 miles away and they'll be good to go.

#4 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:05 PM

Just so that I am clear on this 30-mile transfer rule, does this apply only to transfers within the MIAA?  That is, if a player transfered to an MIAA school from say a WCAC or independent school then the player may play with the gaining MIAA team regardless of play the previous year.  Is that correct or the rule still apply?

#5 Guest_harcohorns_*

Guest_harcohorns_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:28 PM

Just so that I am clear on this 30-mile transfer rule, does this apply only to transfers within the MIAA?  That is, if a player transfered to an MIAA school from say a WCAC or independent school then the player may play with the gaining MIAA team regardless of play the previous year.  Is that correct or the rule still apply?

5. Transfer Students
A transfer student is one who changes enrollment from one school to another.

A transfer student who changes schools during the school year and has participated in interscholastic athletics at any level at his former school is ineligible to participate in interscholastic activities for the remainder of that school year. Additionally, that student, if he/she was a varsity athlete at their previous school, is ineligible for participation in that (those) sport(s) for one calendar year from the date of enrollment. A student athlete who is by definition a varsity athlete at a member school may not become eligible to participate at another member school in the next academic year by enrolling in a non-member school for a period of less than one full academic year. Further, a students’ ineligibility to participate is based on his/her participation for the prior year only. A student who plays on a varsity team during one year and does not participate in the year prior to transfer will be eligible to play provided all other transfer criteria are met. Please refer to the definition of a “varsity athlete”.

A transfer student who migrates from one member school to another and was a varsity athlete at his / her previous school is ineligible to participate in that sport at the new school for one calendar year beginning with the first date of enrollment at the new school. If that student was an undersquad athlete (freshman or junior varsity) at his previous school, he / she may transfer without penalty unless transferring under stipulations in paragraph 2

An Open Enrollment Period will be offered for non-member student athletes. From June 1 through September 1, student athletes transferring from any non-member school to a member school, may transfer to and participate in interscholastic athletics, at any level, without penalty. In order to qualify under this guideline, all appropriate paperwork must be completed and the enrollment contract deposit must be paid on or before September 1. The MIAA reserves the right to request copies of any enrollment contract. The student athlete must physically be attending classes on the first day of fall classes or by September 1. If the opening of the member school is after September 1, the required paperwork and deposit must be complete on or before the September 1st date.

30 Day Rule - A transfer student, regardless of prior participation, who transfers between September 1 and May 30 of any academic year, may not participate in a league competition of this Association until 30 days after the date of enrollment at the new school, which date may not precede the last day of the student’s attendance at the prior school.

Date of Enrollment - Date of enrollment is defined as the first day the student is physically attending classes.

Varsity Athlete - For transfer purposes, a varsity athlete is defined as a student who has competed in any way in a varsity interscholastic competition. Varsity game participation is based on participation in grades 9 thru 12 only. A student athlete is limited to four years of participation in any one sport in grades 9 thru 12.

The only exceptions to this transfer policy are the following:

a) if a student were to change their primary residence; a change in primary residence means a move of more than 30 miles from their present residence. It does not include a temporary residence established for the purpose of athletic eligibility.

:cool: if a student’s present school eliminates the athletic program in which he/she is participating.

This transfer policy is effective as of June 1, 2009 and is non-appealable.

A transfer student, regardless of prior participation, may not participate in the MIAA until an Eligibility Verification form is submitted to the league office and approval is granted. Additionally, a student athlete transferring from one member school to another may not participate in interscholastic athletics until all financial obligations at the previous school have been satisfied

Edited by harcohorns, 04 August 2014 - 05:04 PM.

#6 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:44 PM

A COMPLETE JOKE!!!

#7 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,478 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 04:58 PM

Interesting, what will the other two guys do? sit out a year?

"While Smith will begin practice with his new Panthers teammates Tuesday, the first day of football practice for MIAA programs, two other players who also transferred to St. Frances likely will not be able to play. Dove said he would have a decision on their requests by Tuesday.

“I don’t think they’re going to be able to play. Period,” Dove said. “They’re not moving their residence.”
If their requests are denied, they won't be able to practice with the team.

Five football players transferred from Calvert Hall to St. Frances for this season as the Panthers embark on their second year as an A Conference team"

Read more: http://www.baltimore...y#ixzz39SG6uG00

Like the article said, they're five transfers. Three were starters, 4 on Varsity and one was a JV player who doesn't have to sit out. The other two I assume he is talking about are Juantez McCrae and one of the Hollis Twins who started. McCrae has already re-classed and will just have a non football year but still two years of eligibility left. The Hollis twins are the interesting case, they will have to sit out but can't re-class because they have already re-classed and would be too old to play.

Sure this article will only bring more scrutiny down on the situation at SFA. Word is Smith relocated to Annapolis. I hope my man Massay just has all his stuff in order. I think he has all good intentions for the kids over there.

#8 Guest_harcohorns_*

Guest_harcohorns_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:08 PM

Like the article said, they're five transfers. Three were starters, 4 on Varsity and one was a JV player who doesn't have to sit out. The other two I assume he is talking about are Juantez McCrae and one of the Hollis Twins who started. McCrae has already re-classed and will just have a non football year but still two years of eligibility left. The Hollis twins are the interesting case, they will have to sit out but can't re-class because they have already re-classed and would be too old to play.

Sure this article will only bring more scrutiny down on the situation at SFA. Word is Smith relocated to Annapolis. I hope my man Massay just has all his stuff in order. I think he has all good intentions for the kids over there.

thats a pretty long commute from Annapolis to St Frances.. just saying,

#9 Outside Looking In

Outside Looking In

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,134 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:14 PM

thats a pretty long commute from Annapolis to St Frances.. just saying,

Indeed it is. Again, a complete joke.

#10 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:36 PM

Annapolis is within a 30 mile radius from Towson and all of Baltimore city

#11 gillytech

gillytech

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,281 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 05:38 PM

Not to mention the ridiculousness of moving to annapolis and then deciding to play at SFA. Just out of curiousity, who have they matriculated to a BCS school?

Edited by gillytech, 04 August 2014 - 05:39 PM.

#12 DBcoach_02

DBcoach_02

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:21 PM

Isn't this their 2nd year in the A conference? And your already getting on them for not getting kids to a BCS school?? Wow talk about high expectation. Devin Phelps just committed to UAB and justice pettus-dixon just committed to Connecticut. I was told 14 senoirs last season had offers to play college football. So whatever they are doing seem to be at the least giving these kids an opportunity to play out the college football dream most kids would kill for. But hey.....who am I to judge..... you all know better then me :)

#13 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

Isn't this their 2nd year in the A conference? And your already getting on them for not getting kids to a BCS school?? Wow talk about high expectation. Devin Phelps just committed to UAB and justice pettus-dixon just committed to Connecticut. I was told 14 senoirs last season had offers to play college football. So whatever they are doing seem to be at the least giving these kids an opportunity to play out the college football dream most kids would kill for. But hey.....who am I to judge..... you all know better then me :)

SFA isn't giving the kids anything they wouldn't have gotten at the schools they transferred from. When you bring in a bunch of transfers with FBS offers and then try to take credit for it, that's weak.

SFA is THE most despicable football program in Maryland, bar none.

#14 DBcoach_02

DBcoach_02

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:26 PM

Why because programs cant hold onto their students?

#15 DBcoach_02

DBcoach_02

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:29 PM

I just dont see what all the fuss is about, have you ever been to the school? Talked to the students? Teachers? But yet you know everything about the program. Sounds just like blind hate to me. Have we learned nothing from our history?

But your entitled to your opinion and ill respect it.

#16 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:42 PM

SFA is THE most despicable football program in Maryland, bar none.

Oh come come McEagle.  Despicable is defined as "..deserving hatred and contempt..."  It's synonyms with contemptible, loathsome, hateful, detestable, reprehensible, abhorrent, abominable, awful, heinous; odious, vile, low, mean, abject, shameful, ignominious, shabby, ignoble, disreputable, discreditable, unworthy; informaldirty, rotten, lowdown, lousy; beastly among other unflattering words.  Do YOU really believe this your faultless greatness!!

#17 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 06:57 PM

Annapolis is within a 30 mile radius from Towson and all of Baltimore city

Oh come g-Spot!!! Such things are not measured in linear radius but rather in road miles.  For example, it's 37-miles between Annapolis High School and Saint Francis Academy.  Damn, and you are a learned attorney with a private school Gilman education!!!  Betcha there are players at Gilman a greater distance away like PGCo and perhaps beyond.

#18 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

Oh come g-Spot!!! Such things are not measured in linear radius but rather in road miles.  For example, it's 37-miles between Annapolis High School and Saint Francis Academy.  Damn, and you are a learned attorney with a private school Gilman education!!!  Betcha there are players at Gilman a greater distance away like PGCo and perhaps beyond.

It is a linear radius. That is how 30 miles is measured for the enforcement of the rule. Stop pretending you know everything. Now, back to the ignore list with you.

#19 eaglesinsider

eaglesinsider

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,647 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:11 PM

I just dont see what all the fuss is about, have you ever been to the school? Talked to the students? Teachers? But yet you know everything about the program. Sounds just like blind hate to me. Have we learned nothing from our history?

But your entitled to your opinion and ill respect it.

You are obviously a coach at Saint Frances and have an agenda to push. I know plenty about SFA. Including the fact that its academics are so poor that several high academic football programs refuse to visit the school.

SFA has NOTHING in common with the real MIAA schools, they are a loose cannon of a program just like ECA. It would better serve both SFA and the MIAA if SFA left the league and went independent.

#20 DBcoach_02

DBcoach_02

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 07:36 PM

I could get into a back and forth but I won't. Just know for the record, I have no agenda to push. I just enjoy the conversation about our areas football teams. Thats why im here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users