• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrOsFan

MrOsFan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 09:27 AM

Is anyone going to Chicago to see the O's play the Chisox and Cubs later this month?  Does anyone know of any Oriole bars or hangouts there?  We have tix to the O's/Chisox game on 8/19 and the O's/Cubs game on 8/222, but have never been to Chicago.  Really looking forward to going to Wrigley Field for the first time !!

#2 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,043 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 06 August 2014 - 10:03 AM

I've been to Chicago a few times, and I don't know of an Orioles bar. They have a few Ravens bars, but not O's. in my experience with traveling, it doesn't seem very common for baseball teams have bars in other cities, the way football teams do. 

I haven't been to the Southside in years. The last time I went to new Comisky, it was pretty desolate. it's not on a neighborhood street like Wrigley. it's between a highway on one side, and major railway lines on the other. we pretty much took the L down to the game, and went back to Wrigleyville after the O's won. as for Wrigley, you'll want to soak in the culture around that ballpark. I've been to just about every bar around Wrigley (excluding the multi-floor maga-bars that took over the old houses beyond left field). I still prefer the Cubbybear on the home plate side, and Murphy's outside of the bleacher side of the ballpark. drink an Olde Style or two. that's their version of natty boh. that whole neighborhood becomes a carnival. go early, so that you can walk around and see the ballpark from the perspective of all 4 streets that encase it. it really is pretty cool to contemplate that a ballpark is someone's next door neighbor. and the people watching is par excellence. 

if you like to go dancing, there are a few places to shake 'um on down in Wigleyville. if you have the time, and want to see more of the city, go down to miracle mile and see the bean in millennium park. and if you eat any pizza, I suggest Lou Malnati's. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#3 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,032 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

Off topic a bit here but I've been listening to different broadcasters on my MLB app, and most of them are pretty good. The ones I cannot stand are the Chicago White Sox radio announcers. They are just the worst.

#4 MrOsFan

MrOsFan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 12:14 PM

Hey, thanks for the info weird-O ! 

#5 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,674 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

Mr O, I will just miss you. I'm going to visit Wrigley again to check out the O's and Cubs on August 23rd. Never been to Cellular Field, but Wrigley is lterally surrounded by neighborhood watering holes. Between the blues, deep dish pizza, Chicago River, and friendly midwestern folks, I just love Chicago. Then again, I've never been there in the winter.

Edited by Bowie-Bruce, 06 August 2014 - 01:27 PM.

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

#6 babylinux

babylinux

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,125 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 August 2014 - 01:39 PM

I'd go to the Ravens bar and take my chances that they are O's fans also.  :)

I don't know of an Orioles bar. They have a few Ravens bars, but not O's.

#7 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,449 posts

Posted 06 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

Is anyone going to Chicago to see the O's play the Chisox and Cubs later this month?  Does anyone know of any Oriole bars or hangouts there?  We have tix to the O's/Chisox game on 8/19 and the O's/Cubs game on 8/222, but have never been to Chicago.  Really looking forward to going to Wrigley Field for the first time !!

Go to the Second City Comedy Club. Many comics there layer become big stars.

#8 bawlmer_fan

bawlmer_fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,778 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:38 PM

Im going to both those games, too! There are bars surrounding Wrigley. Check out bmorearoundtown.com They have an all inclusive, and might be selling pre game party-only tickets, as well. Its a pretty good AUCD/AUCE deal. I did their tailgate in Denver last year. 

I'd suggest lower level tickets for the white sox game if you like to walk around and check out the stadium. Upper Deck tix do not allow you to walk around the lower level and outfield console. I learned the hard way. Makes for me being not a big fan of new Comisky. 

And I can't recommend enough this awesome weekday lunch special!: Personal deep dish pizza and a beer for $5 at Pequod's Pizzeria. I discovered it last summer and was there everyday! Its located off red line at Depaul U. Its maybe a 15 minute walk, but its a nice stroll through the campus.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users