• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

I just saw something on Hunter Harvey being shut down for the rest of the season because of soreness in his throwing elbow.

LINK

Yes, the MRI results reportedly showed no ligament damage, and no surgery appears to be required, but as we stated when Orioles catcher Matt Wieters first went down with a sore elbow, it is very rare for elbow soreness to just go away without eventually having Tommy John surgery

i didn't see anything on the board about this, but I haven't checked much in the last week and a half due to a death in the family.

Anybody know anything more on this?

#2 Thirteen

Thirteen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

Yeah, it happened just before the trade deadline.  Better safe than sorry.

#3 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,646 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:39 AM

I read about it when he was shut down, but it sounded like they weren't really sure how severe the problem is. honestly though, these "discomforts" seem to always end in surgery. 

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#4 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:18 AM

I read about it when he was shut down, but it sounded like they weren't really sure how severe the problem is. honestly though, these "discomforts" seem to always end in surgery. 

Indeed. Makes one wonder if they shouldn't just put in a new tendon right now, as soon as the original begins to fail. The replacements seem to be stronger, so why not just get it over with?

#5 Gizmo

Gizmo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,076 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:35 AM

My first thought when seeing 'elbow soreness' reported in the article was... 'just great, another TJ surgery'.

Edited by Gizmo, 07 August 2014 - 11:35 AM.

#6 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,586 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 11:41 AM

I'm not even fazed anymore. I just expect every young pitcher to need it before he's 25. I wouldn't be shocked if Gausman had to have it either in the next few years.
The kids are alright.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users