• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:00 PM

At least that's they said about our hitters at the beginning of the year.

It's been brutal

#2 aurelius

aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:12 PM

Whoever was saying that at the beginning of the year probably doesn't realize the importance of the OBP stat. It's just really hard to have a lineup that can be called "potent" with low team OBP.

Edited by aurelius, 07 August 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#3 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:15 PM

Runs Scored: 10th
Hits: 8th
Homeruns: 1st
Batting Average: 10th
OPS: 11th

That's not ranking for just the AL, that's MLB ranking.

Brutal? The stats say otherwise.

#4 aurelius

aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

ESPN shows the orioles rank number 13 (out of 15) for OBP.  That's the AL team ranking.

The AL teams will generally have higher ranked offenses because of the DH.

Edited by aurelius, 07 August 2014 - 09:22 PM.

#5 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

Well it sure SEEMS like their hitting is brutal!!!!
:)

#6 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,186 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:40 PM

That says to me that baseball has to do something to combat this offensive downturn.

If the O's are average or slightly better then there are a lot of teams that must be very hard to watch.

#7 Rob

Rob

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,382 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:46 PM

That says to me that baseball has to do something to combat this offensive downturn.

If the O's are average or slightly better then there are a lot of teams that must be very hard to watch.

If being in the top 3rd of baseball is "average", I'll take that any day!

Edited by Rob, 07 August 2014 - 09:46 PM.

#8 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,186 posts

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:02 PM

If being in the top 3rd of baseball

Baseball really has a problem, then.

Edited by Mr. Buzzcut, 07 August 2014 - 10:02 PM.

#9 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:33 PM

Well those numbers aren't telling the whole story b/c the offense has been completely inept for the last few weeks with a few exceptions.  

I guess if anything maybe we were being too hard on them earlier in the season when they were scoring a bit more. 

#10 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 07 August 2014 - 10:35 PM

We're looking at an era of dominant pitching. I also think that with computers and data driven world you're seeing way more shifts and unusual defensive alignments. I actually think it is good for the game. The next generation of hitters is going to be going the opposite way a lot more and you'll see the resurgence of the bunt single

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:10 AM

We're looking at an era of dominant pitching. I also think that with computers and data driven world you're seeing way more shifts and unusual defensive alignments. I actually think it is good for the game. The next generation of hitters is going to be going the opposite way a lot more and you'll see the resurgence of the bunt single

What are they waiting for?  Oriole hitters probably have at least 5-6 situations during a game where they could just lay down a bunt and practically walk to first base.  The opposition is saying, "hey, if you can bunt, have your single."  Unfortunately, Oriole hitters can't bunt and that's why they don't do it.  It's insanity.  Rod Carew, the king of the drag bunt, must watch these exaggerated shifts and just foam at the mouth. 

#12 weenie

weenie

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:36 AM

Baseball really has a problem, then.

Spoken like a noob who's into roids!  The O's glory years were all about 2-1 wins.  The year Frank Robinson won the triple crown he was the only guy in the league who hit over .300.  The O's won three straight pennants due largely to their starting pitching and the infrequent 3run HR back then.  If you don't like low scoring, close games you should look for another summer sport.  Your beloved steroid era is dead and buried.....much like many of the users will be in the not to distant future due to the effects of unhealthy drug use. 

Edited by weenie, 08 August 2014 - 08:40 AM.

#13 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,886 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:53 AM

LOL Rod Carew might have batted .500 if they put the shift on him :D

Like Weenie said, what we are seeing now is a return to normalcy post steroid era.  It's refreshing actually.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#14 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49,395 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:06 PM

The lack of potent offense is widespread around baseball. The Yankees, with a #5 starter on the mound beat the Tigers 1-0 yesterday.

As far as what's causing it, theres the things you mentioned plus the reduction in the use of Amphetamines and PEDs.

While the PED era began in the 90s, players were using Greenies for decades before that. The MLB didn't really enforce the ban on Amphetamines until the 2006 season.

The 162 game season is a marathon and I think it wears on the hitters after a few months. And the list of legal substances they can take for an energy boost is much shorter today than it was a few years ago.

Edited by soulflower, 08 August 2014 - 01:38 PM.

"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#15 Mr. Buzzcut

Mr. Buzzcut

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,186 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Spoken like a noob who's into roids!  The O's glory years were all about 2-1 wins.  The year Frank Robinson won the triple crown he was the only guy in the league who hit over .300.  The O's won three straight pennants due largely to their starting pitching and the infrequent 3run HR back then.  If you don't like low scoring, close games you should look for another summer sport.  Your beloved steroid era is dead and buried.....much like many of the users will be in the not to distant future due to the effects of unhealthy drug use. 

Got it, thanks! :lol:

#16 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49,395 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 01:32 PM

Spoken like a noob who's into roids! The O's glory years were all about 2-1 wins. The year Frank Robinson won the triple crown he was the only guy in the league who hit over .300. The O's won three straight pennants due largely to their starting pitching and the infrequent 3run HR back then. If you don't like low scoring, close games you should look for another summer sport. Your beloved steroid era is dead and buried.....much like many of the users will be in the not to distant future due to the effects of unhealthy drug use.

The pitching mound was higher in the 60s. The MLB eventually lowered it and introduced the DH due to the lack of offense.

Offense in baseball goes up and down over time. I doubt we'll ever see another .400 hitter or 56 game hit streak...
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#17 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:00 PM

Just to be fair:

Doubles: 21st

Triples: 30th

Steals: 30th

Walks: 27th

OBP: 20th

These are the stats that show where the O's are coming up short. A lack of team speed and plate discipline are the main reasons. We might not be brutal overall but since the All Star break the offense has been pretty bad. There's no way it can be good with the kind of slumps most of our hitters are in. I consider myself a homer too but saying that this team is not struggling at the plate is really going heavy on the orange Kool Aid. 

#18 funkateer

funkateer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,619 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 06:08 PM

Just to be fair:

Doubles: 21st

Triples: 30th

Steals: 30th

Walks: 27th

OBP: 20th

These are the stats that show where the O's are coming up short. A lack of team speed and plate discipline are the main reasons. We might not be brutal overall but since the All Star break the offense has been pretty bad. There's no way it can be good with the kind of slumps most of our hitters are in. I consider myself a homer too but saying that this team is not struggling at the plate is really going heavy on the orange Kool Aid. 

With all due respect --- name me the team that is in the Top 10 for all those categories you just mentioned while at the same time still being in the top 10 in the categories the O's currently are top 10 in.....like pitching, post All Star break (#4 in ERA, with 2.84; and #7 in WHIP, with 1.16*), fielding (#1 in all of MLB), and some of the other batting categories they're doing well in, like HRs (#1, both pre and post All Star).

Post All Star break, in reality they have IMPROVED in all the categories you brought up (2B, 3B, SB, etc). Even I was surprised to see that, when I checked. These things are getting better, not worse. Check it out....in fact, sometimes it's a considerable improvement --- post All Star break, they went from 27th in walks in MLB to 16th.

Lastly I'd just reiterate that it's mighty difficult -- if not downright impossible -- to be tops in every single category. Every team has a weakness of some sort. You can see Colarado really high up in doubles, triples, etc....but check their pitching: team ERA is dead last in major league baseball, and their fielding is nothing to write home about, either!  And frankly, the O's prove you don't have to be tops in everything. A team that wins at the clip the O's do, and gets HRs like the O's do probably isn't going to be killing in OBP. They don't need to: there are apparently enough men on base that the home runs they hit are enough to win a lot of games and keep them in first --- (even with Chris Davis having his struggles, and Cruz struggling now.

#19 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,185 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:09 PM

At least that's they said about our hitters at the beginning of the year.

They were correct

#20 85Knight

85Knight

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,979 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 11:33 PM

With all due respect --- name me the team that is in the Top 10 for all those categories you just mentioned while at the same time still being in the top 10 in the categories the O's currently are top 10 in.....like pitching, post All Star break (#4 in ERA, with 2.84; and #7 in WHIP, with 1.16*), fielding (#1 in all of MLB), and some of the other batting categories they're doing well in, like HRs (#1, both pre and post All Star).

Post All Star break, in reality they have IMPROVED in all the categories you brought up (2B, 3B, SB, etc). Even I was surprised to see that, when I checked. These things are getting better, not worse. Check it out....in fact, sometimes it's a considerable improvement --- post All Star break, they went from 27th in walks in MLB to 16th.

Lastly I'd just reiterate that it's mighty difficult -- if not downright impossible -- to be tops in every single category. Every team has a weakness of some sort. You can see Colarado really high up in doubles, triples, etc....but check their pitching: team ERA is dead last in major league baseball, and their fielding is nothing to write home about, either! And frankly, the O's prove you don't have to be tops in everything. A team that wins at the clip the O's do, and gets HRs like the O's do probably isn't going to be killing in OBP. They don't need to: there are apparently enough men on base that the home runs they hit are enough to win a lot of games and keep them in first --- (even with Chris Davis having his struggles, and Cruz struggling now.

My only point is that we are not the dominant offense that Rob was intimating. We have some glaring weaknesses but we can still win the division as is. If we are truly improving in the categories that I mentioned like you said and we continue to get this kind of pitching we can win the World Series.

When you're this close it's all about getting better.

Edited by 85Knight, 09 August 2014 - 01:33 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users