• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,772 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:11 PM

Buck is justifiably upset over the umpire calls. I gather that the veteran umpires are in New York watching the games while the rookies are on the field. I may be missing something, but it seems to me that it should be the other way around. After all, the vast majority of calls are now made by rookies while the veterans watch. And if the rookies are trusted to make the calls on the field, certainly they can be trusted to make the call while watching replays in slow motion. Heck, even I can do that. They should switch them around.

Edited by hst2, 11 August 2014 - 08:12 PM.

"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - HL Mencken

#2 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 11 August 2014 - 08:33 PM

Buck is justifiably upset over the umpire calls. I gather that the veteran umpires are in New York watching the games while the rookies are on the field. I may be missing something, but it seems to me that it should be the other way around. After all, the vast majority of calls are now made by rookies while the veterans watch. And if the rookies are trusted to make the calls on the field, certainly they can be trusted to make the call while watching replays in slow motion. Heck, even I can do that. They should switch them around.

couldn't agree more although I am not sure if they just do a rotation with a rookie on each crew. 

#3 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,472 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

Baseball had a chance to make replay work really well and instead they chose to make it this way.

#4 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:43 PM

Baseball had a chance to make replay work really well and instead they chose to make it this way.

True... but I think they will continue to adjust and hopefully improve.

#5 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,772 posts

Posted 11 August 2014 - 09:57 PM

I don't care for replay - interruption of play and removal of the human element. Thank God they didn't have it when Earl Weaver was manager.
"It is even harder for the average ape to believe that he has descended from man. - HL Mencken

#6 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,025 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 12 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

it's amazing that the 2B transfer rule applies to the other 29 teams, but not to the O's. they've been burned by this stupid call before. and that time, it cost them a win. the only positive to take away from the StL blown call, is that it had no real impact on the outcome of the game.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#7 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

Aggravator of the infantile wingnuts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,664 posts
  • LocationMt. Airy, MD

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:38 AM

It wouldn't be so bad if they were actually getting calls corrected, but amazingly, a lot of times they aren't!

I can only hope this is a work in progress.

#8 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37,067 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:02 PM

Buck was really steaming when that HBP review took so long last night!   The only thing I could figure was that another game had a review already going on?

#9 hst2

hst2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74,772 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:03 PM

it's amazing that the 2B transfer rule applies to the other 29 teams, but not to the O's. they've been burned by this stupid call before. and that time, it cost them a win. the only positive to take away from the StL blown call, is that it had no real impact on the outcome of the game.

And the rules changes! OMG! What is this, the NFL?

#10 alienrace

alienrace

Don't run - we are your friends!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,984 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:09 AM

Bad year for umpiring, at least from the O's perspective.  They've been hosed on quite a few challenges, and the strike zone moving around has bit them a few times too.  Buck is justified in his criticisms.

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users