#1 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:59 AM

Showalter says:
http://www.masnsport...s-and-more.html

"I would give him a big picture of the home run. Well, it wasn't a home run. We know that. That's what I'd give him. A big picture and have the whole Baltimore Orioles team sign it. That's a good idea. That's cheap, too, right? Make it in bronze or something. Not that we remember that at all."

#2 Norman

Norman

Underachiever

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36,867 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:07 AM

Seems kind of stupid to me...wasn't Buck in AZ in 1996 after having been let go by the MFNYY's?  

#3 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,838 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:22 AM

Love it. Buck is the best.
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#4 demopublican

demopublican

20,758 posts 1 warning points

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,838 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:23 AM

http://static.guim.c...den-Poo-003.jpg

This would work as well.
"Townes Van Zandt is the best songwriter in the whole world and I'll stand on Bob Dylan's coffee table in my cowboy boots and say that." — Steve Earle.

Disclaimer: I hate the Democrats and the Republicans but I am a registered Democrat. That way I can vote against O'Malley more often.

#5 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,861 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:04 AM

Maybe Showalter is salty about the Yanks winning the WS the year after he was fired by Steinbrenner
"...reality has a well-known liberal bias"

#6 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

I think a photo of the Maier incident signed by the team would be fun, and I bet Jeter would like it too. Yes, it was a long time ago, and maybe nobody on the team was here then (wonder where Tony Tarasco is these days), but it was a historic moment, and Derek Jeter deserves historic moments. Plus, it would be cheap.

#7 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,299 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:03 AM

Richie Bancells was around back then. Not sure who else.

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,639 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:38 AM

Seems kind of stupid to me...wasn't Buck in AZ in 1996 after having been let go by the MFNYY's?  

I appreciate that Buck takes every jab he possibly can, at the yankees. in addition to whatever personal enjoyment that he gets out of it, it also endears him to O's fans. NY screwed him over by firing him after be built the team that would go on to win all those WS rings. don't forsake the man his grudge.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#9 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,861 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:51 AM

I appreciate that Buck takes every jab he possibly can, at the yankees. in addition to whatever personal enjoyment that he gets out of it, it also endears him to O's fans. NY screwed him over by firing him after be built the team that would go on to win all those WS rings. don't forsake the man his grudge.

Gene Michael and Bob Watson built those teams. Buck didn't play a major role in it.

He did help the Yankees get to the playoffs after several awful seasons and I give him credit for that.

#10 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,639 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:13 AM

Gene Michael and Bob Watson built those teams. Buck didn't play a major role in it.

He did help the Yankees get to the playoffs after several awful seasons and I give him credit for that.

Michael, yes. Watson, no.

Bob Watson didn't join NY until the winter of '95. by then, the dynasty had already been build, and was only a couple of months away from starting their run of 10 year dominance. as a yankees fan, I'm inclined to defer to you, since you follow the team more closely than I do. but I've heard a few outlets say that Buck played a strong role in rebuilding the team from the old lumbering dinosaur into the Jeter era.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#11 aurelius

aurelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:31 AM

I think even most Jeter fans would appreciate the gesture. Of course it's meant in fun (albeit with a little jab). It's actually a very personalized gift for a moment that seems frozen in time.

#12 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,861 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:26 PM

I think even most Jeter fans would appreciate the gesture. Of course it's meant in fun (albeit with a little jab). It's actually a very personalized gift for a moment that seems frozen in time.

It doesn't matter to me. I don't think Jeter would take it the wrong way. He's a pretty level headed guy

#13 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,878 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:45 PM

I have mixed feelings about all of this. I have enormous respect for Jeter and think he deserves to be a first ballot hall of famer 

He's always played the game the right way and has generally carried himself with dignity both on and off the field. But... he's not on my team. Yes, it's great for the fans to acknowledge his career during his last at bat with an ovation but do we really have to give gifts every time a multi-million dollar opponent retires? What about Ortiz? Who decides who is 'special' enough to warrant this kind of send off.

I do like Buck's idea though.

#14 soulflower

soulflower

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47,861 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:04 PM

I have mixed feelings about all of this. I have enormous respect for Jeter and think he deserves to be a first ballot hall of famer

He's always played the game the right way and has generally carried himself with dignity both on and off the field. But... he's not on my team. Yes, it's great for the fans to acknowledge his career during his last at bat with an ovation but do we really have to give gifts every time a multi-million dollar opponent retires? What about Ortiz? Who decides who is 'special' enough to warrant this kind of send off.

I agree. I understand the Yankees making a big deal about Jeter's final season but I don't get the thing with opposing teams honoring him. He and Mariano Rivera definitely deserved to be honored at their last All-Star game appearances, but continuing the ritual during road games is overdone already.

I suppose there are financial incentives for the opposing teams. They can raise the ticket prices for games against the Yankees.

#15 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,639 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:55 PM

I like that teams are paying their respects for a HOF career. Jeter retiring, right after Mo, makes it seem like overkill. but teams did the same thing for Cal, and it was nice. I think the people in and around baseball know who is worthy, and who isn't. I'd be shocked if Ortiz gets a farewell tour like these guys. most people, outside of boston, think he's an azzhat. it's almost a daily occurrence to hear someone on the radio say that he's a blowhard who has deluded himself into thinking that he's the official spokesman, and unwritten code enforcer, for baseball. by and large, baseball is tired of him.  

#16 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,878 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:03 PM

I like that teams are paying their respects for a HOF career. Jeter retiring, right after Mo, makes it seem like overkill. but teams did the same thing for Cal, and it was nice. I think the people in and around baseball know who is worthy, and who isn't. I'd be shocked if Ortiz gets a farewell tour like these guys. most people, outside of boston, think he's an azzhat. it's almost a daily occurrence to hear someone on the radio say that he's a blowhard who has deluded himself into thinking that he's the official spokesman, and unwritten code enforcer, for baseball. by and large, baseball is tired of him.  

Did they?

I certainly remember fans paying tribute. Not sure if I remember the other teams doing it. But regardless... after Cal, Jeter has arguably been the face of baseball for the last 15 years and deservedly so which is why I do harbor mixed feelings on the topic.

#17 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,006 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 06:58 PM

Maybe Buck is why you have turd bucket fans booing Derek Jeter.

If you guys want to win a World Series, fire Showalter. Just ask the Yankees and Diamondbacks.

Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

#18 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,669 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:47 PM

If you guys want to win a World Series, fire Showalter. Just ask the Yankees and Diamondbacks.

I'm not going to cheer for an opposing team player.

#19 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,639 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:26 PM

or...keep the architect around, and let him enjoy the spoils of war.

#20 HAIL2BNG

HAIL2BNG

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,006 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:37 AM

I'm not going to cheer for an opposing team player.

Booing him is different. Stay classy, Baltimore.

Its no surprise that the SSA is a mess when they hire economists with pea brains.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users