• Please log in to reply
705 replies to this topic

#1 miaasportsfan

miaasportsfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

With the school year nearly upon us, I figured it would be a good time to start some hoops discussion among the other football threads.

Preseason top teams?

The way I see it in no particular order:

CHC - Most likely preseason top team - Nico, Edwards, Phoenix, Gorham, etc.

St Frances - Ayemi

OM - Mamadou looks like the real deal - but heard he's headed to Juco 

Mt Carmel - Erebor and Jenkins lead the charge.  Never made much noise in MIAA in the past, but could this be the year?

McDonogh - May surprise some people this year

MSJ - Lost everyone, but Clatchy seems to always reload

How do you all see it?  Any upcoming or new talent?

#2 miaasportsfan

miaasportsfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

duplicate post deleted

Edited by miaasportsfan, 14 August 2014 - 04:13 PM.

#3 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,888 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:54 PM

With the school year nearly upon us, I figured it would be a good time to start some hoops discussion among the other football threads.

Preseason top teams?

The way I see it in no particular order:

CHC - Most likely preseason top team - Nico, Edwards, Phoenix, Gorham, etc.
St Frances - Ayemi
OM - Mamadou looks like the real deal - but heard he's headed to Juco
Mt Carmel - Erebor and Jenkins lead the charge. Never made much noise in MIAA in the past, but could this be the year?
McDonogh - May surprise some people this year
MSJ - Lost everyone, but Clatchy seems to always reload

How do you all see it? Any upcoming or new talent?

Don't sleep on Gilman next year! If the coaching gets better, they're going to surprise a lot of people. The young kids are blowing up this summer on their AAU teams. Tyler Foster, outside of Miles Douglas, is probably the top young prospect in the Baltimore Area. Everett Winchester has been killing it with his DC area team. And we all know Locksely is a baller. Should be a very good year.

Yeah just thought about this, not sure how you could have McD on this list over Gilman. Gilman has owned them the last few years and return everybody from a team that started two ninth graders, a junior and two sophomores.

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM, 14 August 2014 - 05:24 PM.

#4 miaasportsfan

miaasportsfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

Gilman certainly has a nice group of young talent.  At this point, I would put them above McDonogh, they just slipped my mind.  I agree that coaching needs to improve.  Owen is a great guy but I'm not sure he's the right basketball mind for the A conference.  I also find it odd that he really doesn't do much recruiting.  Poggi brings the kids in to talk more than Daly, and about basketball...

#5 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:47 AM

Don't sleep on Gilman next year! If the coaching gets better, they're going to surprise a lot of people. The young kids are blowing up this summer on their AAU teams. Tyler Foster, outside of Miles Douglas, is probably the top young prospect in the Baltimore Area. Everett Winchester has been killing it with his DC area team. And we all know Locksely is a baller. Should be a very good year.

Yeah just thought about this, not sure how you could have McD on this list over Gilman. Gilman has owned them the last few years and return everybody from a team that started two ninth graders, a junior and two sophomores.

Gilman still doesn't stand a chance in the MIAA.  Drew Edwards, Nico Clareth, Justin Gorham, Reggie Rouse, Evan Phoenix etc are the REAL DEAL and they are the best recruits in the MIAA, yada, yada, yada! Sound familiar? Lol!

SFA supposedly lost F Melo Eggleston to Clinton Christian, F Will Robinson to Oakland Mills and G Michael Micklos to Elev8 Academy (FLA).  Mout St. Joe had transfers to Capitol Christian (G Pierre Johnson), Chapelgate Christian (G Steve Marvin), Monteverde Academy (G Bryce Thurston) and Annapolis Area Christian (G Justin Williams).  On the public school side, Patterson reloaded with two transfers from Mervo (C Koran Moore & F Demetrich Williams) and Joppatowne (G Gary Blackston). 

Should be a good season for CHC and SFA with G Kurk Lee Jr coming back off a redshirt year and C Josh Ayemi, G Daquan Bracey and  G Khalil Richards returning for the Panthers.  And McDonogh will be better than Gilman soon due to the new coaching hire of David Gately.  Coach Gately helped improve CHC's on-court performance the last few seasons.  He'll get some good players to attend McDonogh.

#6 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,888 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:39 AM

Gilman certainly has a nice group of young talent.  At this point, I would put them above McDonogh, they just slipped my mind.  I agree that coaching needs to improve.  Owen is a great guy but I'm not sure he's the right basketball mind for the A conference.  I also find it odd that he really doesn't do much recruiting.  Poggi brings the kids in to talk more than Daly, and about basketball...

You are right on about Daly. He doesn't recruit, former Woodlawn coach Eddie Green is the recruiter and you're right in about Poggi. He seems really overmatched coaching in the A. Gilman has too much talent to be under .500. I seriously believe that it's time for Green to take over at the helm. I think Owen should stick to lacrosse.

#7 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,888 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 11:45 AM

Gilman still doesn't stand a chance in the MIAA.  Drew Edwards, Nico Clareth, Justin Gorham, Reggie Rouse, Evan Phoenix etc are the REAL DEAL and they are the best recruits in the MIAA, yada, yada, yada! Sound familiar? Lol!

SFA supposedly lost F Melo Eggleston to Clinton Christian, F Will Robinson to Oakland Mills and G Michael Micklos to Elev8 Academy (FLA).  Mout St. Joe had transfers to Capitol Christian (G Pierre Johnson), Chapelgate Christian (G Steve Marvin), Monteverde Academy (G Bryce Thurston) and Annapolis Area Christian (G Justin Williams).  On the public school side, Patterson reloaded with two transfers from Mervo (C Koran Moore & F Demetrich Williams) and Joppatowne (G Gary Blackston). 

Should be a good season for CHC and SFA with G Kurk Lee Jr coming back off a redshirt year and C Josh Ayemi, G Daquan Bracey and  G Khalil Richards returning for the Panthers.  And McDonogh will be better than Gilman soon due to the new coaching hire of David Gately.  Coach Gately helped improve CHC's on-court performance the last few seasons.  He'll get some good players to attend McDonogh.

Kurk Lee might not even start. He's a solid player but definitely not a game changer. CHC is definitely the favorite. They should run thru the league this year. SFA is another school with subpar coaching.

I would be more inclined to believe in Spalding than SFA next year. McDonogh has players there, they weren't bare. And I think you are underestimating the coaching ability of McD's former coach Dante Evans. McD won't be better than Gilman, definitely not in the best future. If Greem were the coach, I would honestly have Gilman as a Top 3 team next year in the A. This is on talent. Reach out to your sources and ask about how Winchester, Donald Duncan and Foster have done this summer across the country. These kids have been tearing it up!

#8 miaasportsfan

miaasportsfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 12:48 PM

I think Gilman and McDonogh will both surprise some teams this year.  They both have strong, young foundations.   These younger teams will take some lumps throughout the season, but I see no reason they both can't fight for .500 in the A.  

CHC is the cream of the crop with serious senior high major studs, a few mid-major talents, and some really tough up and coming fresh/sophs.

Should be a great year of basketball in the MIAA/Catholic Leagues.

#9 ShoNuff

ShoNuff

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 10:40 AM

The Big 4 - CHC, SFA, MSJ, JC. CHC should be the favorite this year, they're loaded, so they gotta win something. Not a better wing duo than Edwards and Clareth. The demise of MSJ is exaggerated, they might have the best young talent in the league, they will be good late. SFA will rely on guard play, but still have quality bigs. SFA's entire starting 5 could be D1 players. Team Canada/JC returns all key players, complete team. The bigs are a year older and tough guards led by Bucknell commit.

Contenders - MC, Spalding, McD, Gilman.  MC has the pieces to be strong and this is the school's best chance to win something this year, if ever. The bigs will carry MC, like McD, but McD might have the best big tandem in the A. If the guard play steps up they could be a factor, not to mention the Gately factor.  Spalding lost 2 key pieces, pg and center, but the have some nice young talent and vet Jefferson. Gilman's frosh are a year older and better, they should contend for playoffs. Signed to play football at FSU, no pressure, look for Locksley to have a big senior yr like Jones. McD, Spalding or Gilman could be a darkhorse to be an upper tier team, MC should challenge the top. 

The Rest - GCS lost key seniors, not sure what they have. Loyola will probably be Loyola, not contend, but do more than expected.

#10 miaasportsfan

miaasportsfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 09:24 AM

ShoNuff - Solid summary.  The MIAA/BCL is in solid hands with some of the young talent out there.  AAU squads such as Bmore Elite and Team Melo have been winning lots of national events throughout the country this summer.  

As always, it's a very long season, but at this point, I'd go:

1. CHC

2. SF

3. JC

4. MC

5. MSJ

#11 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:38 AM

ShoNuff - Solid summary.  The MIAA/BCL is in solid hands with some of the young talent out there.  AAU squads such as Bmore Elite and Team Melo have been winning lots of national events throughout the country this summer.  

As always, it's a very long season, but at this point, I'd go:

1. CHC

2. SF

3. JC

4. MC

5. MSJ

The top spot in the MIAA/Catholic League became less of a certainty for Calvert Hall when it was announced that SFA just got transfer Erin Cobb (6-8 2015 F) from Potter's House Christian (FLA).  Cobb is a Kansas State commit.  I guess it will make the MIAA/BCL championships that much sweeter for the Hall if they win.  Justin Gorham at 6-6 will definitely have to help 6-8 C Evan Phoenix against the Panthers.

#12 HollywoodCowboy

HollywoodCowboy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

The top spot in the MIAA/Catholic League became less of a certainty for Calvert Hall when it was announced that SFA just got transfer Erin Cobb (6-8 2015 F) from Potter's House Christian (FLA).  Cobb is a Kansas State commit.  I guess it will make the MIAA/BCL championships that much sweeter for the Hall if they win.  Justin Gorham at 6-6 will definitely have to help 6-8 C Evan Phoenix against the Panthers.

Yup the Cards are the team to beat, don't think anyone has anything for them no matter what SFA has coming in.  JC and MC are the next teams and Gilman might make some noise also.  MSJ has two stud freshman whose names slip my mind but one is a 6'6 SG and the other is a 6'5 PF.  But I'm not sure freshman have time to grow up at the varsity level in this league.  

#13 TheGuru

TheGuru

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,290 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 10:20 AM

Yup the Cards are the team to beat, don't think anyone has anything for them no matter what SFA has coming in.  JC and MC are the next teams and Gilman might make some noise also.  MSJ has two stud freshman whose names slip my mind but one is a 6'6 SG and the other is a 6'5 PF.  But I'm not sure freshman have time to grow up at the varsity level in this league.

I agree.  Not unless their name is Duane Ferrell, Rodney Monroe, Mark Karcher, etc. They definitely have to be next level players.

#14 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,888 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 01:57 PM

I hear Gilman also got a big time recruit as well. I don't know his name but was told he's a high D1 caliber player. Now if we only could get a real "basketball" coach.

#15 miaasportsfan

miaasportsfan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 09:47 AM

Any idea where their big time recruit is from?  AAU program?

And guru, I agree regarding SFA.  We should have all known that SFA's squad is never set until they finish bringing in transfers.  Haven't seen Cobb play, but heard that he's a beast. 

I wouldn't expect freshman to start, but you'll have some solid role players out there.  Any freshman that starts is either on a weaker team, reclassed, or is insane talent.

#16 Clipper Nation

Clipper Nation

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 01:04 PM

The MIAA will be wide open this year which will make for an exciting year. Calvert Hall has the experience and plenty of talent so I will make them slight favorites. SFA has some dynamic guards and some bigs down low but who will they start. Will they start three small guards and the two bigs or will they go Bracey, Richards, Rafus, and the two bigs. What type of style will SFA play this year? Mount Carmel and John Carroll both bring back a lot so they will be dangerous. St Joe will improve as the season goes along as their players get high school game experience.

The MIAA and City league should be fun and wide open.

#17 92 Card

92 Card

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 05:05 PM

CHC has a top notch freshman class ('18) across the board as well. Stating they will all play JV is a safe bet, given the amount of talented upperclassmen on the varsity roster. The future core will have the opportunity to hone their craft and build chemistry.

#18 BJC

BJC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:26 AM

SFA picked up a top 100 transfer.  They will be loaded.  Gliman has a very good coaching staff, just unrealistic expectation by some fans.

#19 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,888 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:47 AM

SFA picked up a top 100 transfer.  They will be loaded.  Gliman has a very good coaching staff, just unrealistic expectation by some fans.

Gilman's Coaching staff is filled with former Lacrosse players and Eddie Green. What are you talking about? You shouldn't talk about things you know nothing of. Owen Daly is a good guy, but is nobody's basketball coach. And like what was mentioned on another thread, doesn't even recruit the players. Poggi brings in more basketball players than Daly. Daly is a lacrosse guy who happened to have played basketball, along with the other staff members. Who are almost all former Gilman kids. Do you even know who is on Gilman's roster? Gilman is loaded with some of the best young talent, in the date not just the area. Kids who have already picked up D1 offers after only one year of high school. And that doesn't happen in basketball a lot. Kids who blew up and starred on the top AAU teams, not just in Bmore but also the top DC area squads.

Nobody thinks Gilman is better than CHC or St. Frances, but they damn sure should be able to fight for a playoff spot with the talent they have.

#20 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,888 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:12 AM

Any idea where their big time recruit is from?  AAU program?

And guru, I agree regarding SFA.  We should have all known that SFA's squad is never set until they finish bringing in transfers.  Haven't seen Cobb play, but heard that he's a beast. 

I wouldn't expect freshman to start, but you'll have some solid role players out there.  Any freshman that starts is either on a weaker team, reclassed, or is insane talent.

I'm told the big basketball recruit for Gilman is also the big football kid I spoke about on another thread, Brandon Madison. I got sent a text by a friend of mine in the basketball community who said that the kid is the real deal. Said he played for Maryland Sports Scholars.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users