• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,430 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

Just got back from Gilman/Gonzaga scrimmage and to be honest, it was ugly! Gonzaga, ranked 25th in the country in USA Today was just manhandled!

This is definitely a different Gilman team. All the young kids looked like they lived in the weight room. Like 85Knight said, this defense is sick. I can't remember a defensive line like this ever. They're, strong and fast. Ellison Jordan just took Alabama and Top 100 recruit Pettibon to school. Zaga had a really good first drive, they looked great out of the play action. This was all thwarted by Gilman's Alonzo Mayo when he jumped a route and intercepted a pass from Zaga's UVA signee Nick John's. In total John's threw four INT's and Gilman had six INT's total. They have athletes everywhere on this D. Gonzaga's first and second team didn't score.

Gilman's offense was also effective. Locksley is still wearing a knee brace and definitely didn't look 100%. That didn't matter, their OL looks like a college OL. They're HUGE! Jelani Roberts touched the ball probably 5 times for about 70 yards. Was a first down everytime. Gilman is also running more Prostyle with with Ellison Jordan at FB or TE and it's just not fair. The kid is special, he had about 5 pancake blocks. The most impressive I have to say was Kasim Hill. Can't say enough about this kid. He just looks like a college QB and track helped him immensely. He looks very fast out there. He arm is a rocket and he's very accurate. Saying it now, without question he will be the best QB Gilman has ever had. Alonzo Mayo was also very impressive on offense at WR. Gilman's first team had the ball twice and scored both times.

Things that stood out the most. Ellison Jordan, Cam Spence is very very good! Wow is all I have l say about this kid. He was destroying kids. Kasim Hill, Mayo and the MUCH IMPROVED LB play. Gilman was just way too physical for Gonzaga. They just beat them up physically. If this were a game, it wouldn't have been close.

#2 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

Great report work GA, even when I removed the special sauce, lettuce, cheeses, pickles, onions and sesame seed bun over hype or sensationalism you typically toss in there for all things Gilman, it appears that the two all -beef patties was in there.  Again, good write-up.

Congrats!!!  :D

#3 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,118 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:03 PM

Just got back from Gilman/Gonzaga scrimmage and to be honest, it was ugly! Gonzaga, ranked 25th in the country in USA Today was just manhandled!
This is definitely a different Gilman team. All the young kids looked like they lived in the weight room. Like 85Knight said, this defense is sick. I can't remember a defensive line like this ever. They're, strong and fast. Ellison Jordan just took Alabama and Top 100 recruit Pettibon to school. Zaga had a really good first drive, they looked great out of the play action. This was all thwarted by Gilman's Alonzo Mayo when he jumped a route and intercepted a pass from Zaga's UVA signee Nick John's. In total John's threw four INT's and Gilman had six INT's total. They have athletes everywhere on this D. Gonzaga's first and second team didn't score.
Gilman's offense was also effective. Locksley is still wearing a knee brace and definitely didn't look 100%. That didn't matter, their OL looks like a college OL. They're HUGE! Jelani Roberts touched the ball probably 5 times for about 70 yards. Was a first down everytime. Gilman is also running more Prostyle with with Ellison Jordan at FB or TE and it's just not fair. The kid is special, he had about 5 pancake blocks. The most impressive I have to say was Kasim Hill. Can't say enough about this kid. He just looks like a college QB and track helped him immensely. He looks very fast out there. He arm is a rocket and he's very accurate. Saying it now, without question he will be the best QB Gilman has ever had. Alonzo Mayo was also very impressive on offense at WR. Gilman's first team had the ball twice and scored both times.
Things that stood out the most. Ellison Jordan, Cam Spence is very very good! Wow is all I have l say about this kid. He was destroying kids. Kasim Hill, Mayo and the MUCH IMPROVED LB play. Gilman was just way too physical for Gonzaga. They just beat them up physically. If this were a game, it wouldn't have been close.

Sounds like the best team money can buy.

#4 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,430 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:06 PM

There you go again. I thought we had gotten over your hatred for all things Poggi!

#5 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:12 PM

Come on......Now you don't expect these "special" kids to play and still pay; that is, full tuition etc etc, do you!

#6 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,430 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:54 PM

Come on......Now you don't expect these "special" kids to play and still pay; that is, full tuition etc etc, do you!

'

Couldn't let it ride, had to throw at least one dig in there!

#7 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 09:22 PM

One dig!  Then you missed the special sauce, lettuce, cheeses, pickles, onions, and sesame seed bun over hype and over sensationalism dig.  But you'll not suppose to be reading anything I have to say!  Remember?

But damn GA, Google " Just got back from Gilman/Gonzaga scrimmage ".  You have been one busy fellow pimpin' your G-Dawgs beaches in the last hours haven't you!  And in a no count lets try some stuff scrimmage!  And and and you really are trying to start a big mess in DC at the dcsportsfan board aren't you!  No wonder your fall is so great annually in your first game or two.

But Big Pimpin' Ain't Easy, right?

:D

Edited by DayWalker, 15 August 2014 - 10:19 PM.

#8 First_Down

First_Down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:32 AM

hahahahaha, I did Google the phrase to see the posts on various sites.  It was so funny.

#9 city40blast

city40blast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 07:35 AM

Me to hahahaha

#10 First_Down

First_Down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:06 AM

If there is one thing I've learned around here it's that some can really get excited over scrimmages.  Some may need to inhale / exhale into a brown paper bag when the real games start.

#11 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,430 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:03 AM

If there is one thing I've learned around here it's that some can really get excited over scrimmages.  Some may need to inhale / exhale into a brown paper bag when the real games start.

You see, unlike the Publics that have like four and sometimes five scrimmages before their actual season starts, both Gonzaga and Gilman have only two to get ready to start their season in two weeks. Not only that, both teams have to play two teams that are both ranked in the Top 10 Nationally in some polls. Does this scrimmage mean anything, no. But a lot can be taken from this scrimmage. And of both coaches have the mentality that nothing can be taken from this scrimmage and only say "it's alright, it's just a scrimmage, we will be fine in two weeks," they will get their ***'s handed to them in two weeks. It's a learning process and early in the season and just like the first game, both teams should be better by end of season, but saying that "it's just a scrimmage" is a cop out to me. If Gilman were dominated in that scrimmage, I would have been in panic mode. I remember being at CHC's first scrimmage and writing about how bad they looked and how they would be in for a long season, the CHC faithful were all saying "it's just a scrimmage" and how did that work out for them? 3-9 is how it worked out.

And for me, the most important part of the scrimmage wasn't that Gilman's first team won it 2 TD's to zero, it was the things I wanted to see from them. This is an old school Gilman team, a much different team than last year that showed me more heart and leadership in that one scrimmage than all of last year. A team that looks focused and on a mission. A team that is even more physical than the very good team of two years ago. That was much more important than the score and what I wanted to see from them. Especially with only three days in pads.

#12 DayWalker

DayWalker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,171 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:21 AM

Four or five scrimmages for the publics you say!   Do that Gilman math and exercise some common sense.

The publics could not be in pads until earlier last week ( days ago ).  They cannot play scrimmages until a certain number of days / practices, gradually donning gear --- State Law Acclamation Rules.  They don't start scrimmages in earnest until perhaps next weekend around the 23rd or so.  School starts the following week when real games start.

The publics will do two or perhaps three scrimmages AT THE MOST, not play half a season of five scrimmages.

If scrimmages are such the great learning tool for you GA, then why does Gilman continue to get it's teeth kicked in by the Paramus', Moellers', Manatees' et.al. every year.  Oh, that's right, the other teams get to learn as well during their scrimmages.  Never mind.

But the publics put the work in during the year when the champs and runner-ups will go at it for Fourteen Games to determine things while you Gilman cupcakes will fold your tent in determining a LEAGUE champ after perhaps 10 or 11 games WITHOUT a single elimination playoff.

As OLI would say ---  WHAT A JOKE!

Concern yourself with your little privates GA and not others!  :D

Edited by DayWalker, 17 August 2014 - 09:34 AM.

#13 Brohan

Brohan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,118 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:29 PM

There you go again. I thought we had gotten over your hatred for all things Poggi!

It's a shame Locks is going to have to take a pay cut when he goes to FSU.

#14 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,430 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 05:45 PM

It's a shame Locks is going to have to take a pay cut when he goes to FSU.

Hahahaha, now that was actually very funny!!

#15 First_Down

First_Down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 06:51 PM

Four or five scrimmages for the publics you say!   Do that Gilman math and exercise some common sense.

The publics could not be in pads until earlier last week ( days ago ).  They cannot play scrimmages until a certain number of days / practices, gradually donning gear --- State Law Acclamation Rules.  They don't start scrimmages in earnest until perhaps next weekend around the 23rd or so.  School starts the following week when real games start.

The publics will do two or perhaps three scrimmages AT THE MOST, not play half a season of five scrimmages.

If scrimmages are such the great learning tool for you GA, then why does Gilman continue to get it's teeth kicked in by the Paramus', Moellers', Manatees' et.al. every year.  Oh, that's right, the other teams get to learn as well during their scrimmages.  Never mind.

But the publics put the work in during the year when the champs and runner-ups will go at it for Fourteen Games to determine things while you Gilman cupcakes will fold your tent in determining a LEAGUE champ after perhaps 10 or 11 games WITHOUT a single elimination playoff.

As OLI would say ---  WHAT A JOKE!

Concern yourself with your little privates GA and not others!  :D

Actually, I think the official first day of practice was August 13th.  The first games are September 5.  Different counties may have different school start dates but they all will be in class by after labor Day.

#16 First_Down

First_Down

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:28 AM

You see, unlike the Publics that have like four and sometimes five scrimmages before their actual season starts, both Gonzaga and Gilman have only two to get ready to start their season in two weeks. Not only that, both teams have to play two teams that are both ranked in the Top 10 Nationally in some polls. Does this scrimmage mean anything, no. But a lot can be taken from this scrimmage. And of both coaches have the mentality that nothing can be taken from this scrimmage and only say "it's alright, it's just a scrimmage, we will be fine in two weeks," they will get their ***'s handed to them in two weeks. It's a learning process and early in the season and just like the first game, both teams should be better by end of season, but saying that "it's just a scrimmage" is a cop out to me. If Gilman were dominated in that scrimmage, I would have been in panic mode. I remember being at CHC's first scrimmage and writing about how bad they looked and how they would be in for a long season, the CHC faithful were all saying "it's just a scrimmage" and how did that work out for them? 3-9 is how it worked out.

And for me, the most important part of the scrimmage wasn't that Gilman's first team won it 2 TD's to zero, it was the things I wanted to see from them. This is an old school Gilman team, a much different team than last year that showed me more heart and leadership in that one scrimmage than all of last year. A team that looks focused and on a mission. A team that is even more physical than the very good team of two years ago. That was much more important than the score and what I wanted to see from them. Especially with only three days in pads.

OK then, I clearly understand that scrimmages are of vital importance to you and Gilman.  I can also see scrimmages as not a make or break affair for most teams.  You get out of them the effort you put into them or you can get nothing out of them and it may not make any difference other than a feel good or bad as to where one may or may not stand up against the team one happen to scrimmage.  What I'm saying is that a team could scrimmage Arundel and experience their fast paced no huddle 80% pass offense and then play the entire season against teams who rarely throw the ball. In that situation, the scrimmage against Arundel was useless.  Some other team could expose another's weaknesses and afford them the opportunity to correct the problem OR give another team guidance on how to exploit your team.

I think there could be a trade-off in scrimmages.  They can be good and they can be trouble and not the be all to end all for everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users