• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 12:20 PM

Just got back from the game..  Both teams seemed very even...  ECA won by one TD so the score might have been 21-14 or something like that,,,   Both teams lacked much fire power or big time play-makers...

Good Counsels line played better than ECA's..  One of ECA's td's came off of two horrible PI calls  on two horrible throws by Sills right before halftime.   Good Counsel has a solid team and are physical but they lack playmakers other than #12 (I will try and find out his name).. who looked to be the best kid out there as he torched ECA twice in the first half but turned an ankle and didnt play much if any in the second half.. GC is good team but not top 6 or 7 in Md and nothing close too the team they had a few years ago in terms of explosiveness...

ECA the same story other than Sills no real big time threats on O...  O-line played poorly.. Their best play was Sills keeping it and running.SIlls did not look good or comfortable throwing the ball .  unfortunately late in the third Sills kept it and got popped and knocked out of the game..  Looks to be a strained shoulder but we have to wait and see the extent if is a acl injury or just a bruise.. It looked like acl as he was could not lift his arm(left shoulder) and was in a ice and sling the rest of the game..   SO stay tuned on his availability for Spartansburg next week..   The back up QB looked pretty good and the O seemed to move the ball better with him in there... He did throw a pick in the endzone but it was a tipped ball... ECA's D did however look improved but still gives up big plays but much better against the run not stout but better...  

All in all it was a even match-up whether that means GC is better than thought or ECA isnt as good as they are ranked will have to be seen but I did not come away with the feeling GC is a top 200 team nor ECA.. both lack explosive playmakers..  Both teams did get some good work in though...

Edited by harcohorns, 16 August 2014 - 12:27 PM.

#2 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:00 PM

I think it's a little of both. GC is better than what people thought they were and ECA isn't as good as some thought. #12 for GC was probably Keon Paye. He's their only real offensive threat and I think that's the number he wore last year.

If GC's line controlled ECA's, ECA is going to get MURDERED in Texas! GC lost their whole OL and most of their DL.

#3 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:07 PM

I think it's a little of both. GC is better than what people thought they were and ECA isn't as good as some thought. #12 for GC was probably Keon Paye. He's their only real offensive threat and I think that's the number he wore last year.

If GC's line controlled ECA's, ECA is going to get MURDERED in Texas! GC lost their whole OL and most of their DL.

GC's O-line did have some issues picking up blitzers... ECA got too many sacks and plays with lost yardage with guys coming in unblocked... ECA brought the OLB's to the edge and alternated which one blitzed and GC O-Line/RB never picked  them up so they came in untouched... Obviously something they need to work on..

Edited by harcohorns, 16 August 2014 - 01:09 PM.

#4 DBUNK

DBUNK

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 01:50 PM

Just got back from the game..  Both teams seemed very even...  ECA won by one TD so the score might have been 21-14 or something like that,,,   Both teams lacked much fire power or big time play-makers...

Good Counsels line played better than ECA's..  One of ECA's td's came off of two horrible PI calls  on two horrible throws by Sills right before halftime.   Good Counsel has a solid team and are physical but they lack playmakers other than #12 (I will try and find out his name).. who looked to be the best kid out there as he torched ECA twice in the first half but turned an ankle and didnt play much if any in the second half.. GC is good team but not top 6 or 7 in Md and nothing close too the team they had a few years ago in terms of explosiveness...

ECA the same story other than Sills no real big time threats on O...  O-line played poorly.. Their best play was Sills keeping it and running.SIlls did not look good or comfortable throwing the ball .  unfortunately late in the third Sills kept it and got popped and knocked out of the game..  Looks to be a strained shoulder but we have to wait and see the extent if is a acl injury or just a bruise.. It looked like acl as he was could not lift his arm(left shoulder) and was in a ice and sling the rest of the game..   SO stay tuned on his availability for Spartansburg next week..   The back up QB looked pretty good and the O seemed to move the ball better with him in there... He did throw a pick in the endzone but it was a tipped ball... ECA's D did however look improved but still gives up big plays but much better against the run not stout but better...  

All in all it was a even match-up whether that means GC is better than thought or ECA isnt as good as they are ranked will have to be seen but I did not come away with the feeling GC is a top 200 team nor ECA.. both lack explosive playmakers..  Both teams did get some good work in though...

That sums it up... My Score was 20-14 for what it is worth... Keon Paye had the big plays on an INT, Long TD Pass and Jet Sweep...Keon sacked Sills and as stated Sills left the game with a possible injury.. The backup ECA QB was pretty good to be honest IMO, just as good as Sills..   Not sure who was out for ECA GC had  several starters out ... GC's young OL did ok ... They need to work on communication and blitz pick ups for sure... Made some mental errors but they started 2 2017 kids on that OL 6-5 330 Josh Contee and 6-3 305 Brandon Johnson who played well at center.. LB Dele Harding of ECA was tough to block..

Overall good hard fought scrimmage 

Edited by DBUNK, 16 August 2014 - 01:51 PM.

#5 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 02:16 PM

That sums it up... My Score was 20-14 for what it is worth... Keon Paye had the big plays on an INT, Long TD Pass and Jet Sweep...Keon sacked Sills and as stated Sills left the game with a possible injury.. The backup ECA QB was pretty good to be honest IMO, just as good as Sills..   Not sure who was out for ECA GC had  several starters out ... GC's young OL did ok ... They need to work on communication and blitz pick ups for sure... Made some mental errors but they started 2 2017 kids on that OL 6-5 330 Josh Contee and 6-3 305 Brandon Johnson who played well at center.. LB Dele Harding of ECA was tough to block..

Overall good hard fought scrimmage 

Harding is the real deal... I wasn't ready to say that after last year but he looked and played the part today.    Paye was the best playmaker on the field today...  ECA had a starting DB out but that was it..  

#6 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:49 PM

Harco what exactly do you think was the problem with the O today ?

What RBs were rotated ?

How did they use tucker, and Russell? lumpkin ? Middletown transfers ?

Seems really odd that they didn't look good on o with all of the options they have

#7 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 05:53 PM

Btw from what I'm told sills dislocated his left arm, but will be good to play

#8 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:06 PM

Harco what exactly do you think was the problem with the O today ?

What RBs were rotated ?

How did they use tucker, and Russell? lumpkin ? Middletown transfers ?

Seems really odd that they didn't look good on o with all of the options they have

RB's were mostly Taj Washington and Leddie Brown..  Russell did not tote it much... The only WR that did anything was Tavion Washington from the slot or His brother Taj and Russell with a couple plays...   ECA really did not complete many passes.. Sills was way off target and no one was open ..  When Barker came in they completed some but they were dink and dunk screens or what have you...    ECA did not complete a pass more than ten yards down the field that I remember..  I am not trying to be harsh on them but the offense looked bad..  The D seems to be the better side this year.. Sewell kid from Mtowne barely played ..  Lumpkin wasn't heard from either..

Edited by harcohorns, 16 August 2014 - 06:07 PM.

#9 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:15 PM

Btw from what I'm told sills dislocated his left arm, but will be good to play

First of all you can't dislocate an arm .. Elbow or shoulder yes,,  A dislocated shoulder involves an acl sprain and takes a minimum of 4 weeks recovery...   If its a bruise he will play next week  if it was dislocated not happening..

#10 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:18 PM

RB's were mostly Taj Washington and Leddie Brown.. Russell did not tote it much... The only WR that did anything was Tavion Washington from the slot or His brother Taj and Russell with a couple plays... ECA really did not complete many passes.. Sills was way off target and no one was open .. When Barker came in they completed some but they were dink and dunk screens or what have you... ECA did not complete a pass more than ten yards down the field that I remember.. I am not trying to be harsh on them but the offense looked bad.. The D seems to be the better side this year.. Sewell kid from Mtowne barely played .. Lumpkin wasn't heard from either..

yeah something is up... I know they installed a new Offense this off season but dang... Tavion is going to be a huge weapon this year IMO he is very good... Russell is moving towards a slot position this year, did brown look the part ? Or did he show is youth ? Also I'm guessing the Glasgow RB did not transfer after all?

I didn't really expect Sewell to do much... I think he will play but not be a huge difference maker... Also I'm surprised nothing from lump, isdell, little swan or tucker

#11 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:25 PM

yeah something is up... I know they installed a new Offense this off season but dang... Tavion is going to be a huge weapon this year IMO he is very good... Russell is moving towards a slot position this year, did brown look the part ? Or did he show is youth ? Also I'm guessing the Glasgow RB did not transfer after all?

I didn't really expect Sewell to do much... I think he will play but not be a huge difference maker... Also I'm surprised nothing from lump, isdell, little swan or tucker

Glasgow guys stayed put...   Tavion looked good but he didnt get the burn until later when two's were in for GC...He looked small though but quick and talented...  

They are running WVU offense... just like they ran USC O when David was going there...  Mostly alll read option plays with play action passes..  When David went out and Barker came in they went to the old O and looked much better running it.. IMO they don't have athletic enough lineman to run the read option..  I get they are doing it to prepare David but their personnel is better suited for pro style JMHO  

Edited by harcohorns, 16 August 2014 - 06:28 PM.

#12 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:32 PM

Glasgow guys stayed put... Tavion looked good but he didnt get the burn until later when two's were in for GC...He looked small though but quick and talented...

They are running WVU offense... just like they ran USC O when David was going there... Mostly alll read option plays with play action passes.. When David went out and Barker came in they went to the old O and looked much better running it.. IMO they don't have athletic enough lineman to run the read option.. I get they are doing it to prepare David but their personnel is better suited for pro style JMHO

yeah Tavion is short but not "small" good sized slot IMO...

And if that is indeed what they are trying to do hopefully they go basic if it does not work out

#13 harcohorns

harcohorns

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:52 PM

yeah Tavion is short but not "small" good sized slot IMO...

And if that is indeed what they are trying to do hopefully they go basic if it does not work out

David Meggett  ..   Towson would take that again   :)

#14 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:55 AM

So I watched the film from the scrimmage and was came away not very worried for this season at all... After you realize this is the first gem with the new offense and the young guys playing you have to think they will get it right.

Notes:

OL: the OL played decent but not good, but the guy I kept my eye on was the line new starter at right guard (6"7 330 jr Nick Earl) iknow he had been working at both right tackle and guard in the off season and I'm guessing that he is just better in that spot. He actually impressed me he held his own for the most part, saw a few mental errors but nothing to bad. Not a concern because this time last year The center was the lone new starter and had a horrible first scrimmage but came back the next scrimmage and did great, along with the entire season, all he needed was to get his first price of action in.... All in all OL line will be fine.

RB: I was not impressed really at first but then the line got stronger and the RBs did better, I really am excited for freshman leddie brown he had a pretty good day with some nice nifty, and very tuff runs. There was one run where it literally took abt 4-5 defenders to take him down. Was also impressed with freshman Tavion Washington who was all over the field. Saw him twice make a DB look silly from the slot, then on two runs from RB where he first ran for a nice 6 yards jumpin over guys, then another making a whole half of the GC defense miss on what looked like should have been a short gain to the outside. (He has a lot of speed),yes it was against the second team but I am still excited on his future. then you add in RB Devon Russell who was the starter last season who had a decent day while on getting a few reps there. I think they will really miss ballard though. Need that big back for short yardage.

WR- idk what to really say about them, there were some good then a lot of bad. Mostly looked like mental problems where the WRs did wrong routs. There is still talent there. I did not see lumpkin at all on offense and he is a problem in the slot, he will be a 30-40 catch guy this season from that spot. I think the new offense is was slowed them down tbh.

DL: I see Harding went both ways and I think him at DT is great, I think he is a high caliber DT guy... Everytime he was put at the spot last year he made the play. Other than him I was impressed by the young guys that were playing the sophomore Miller held his own though still looks young mental wise, Wiley did what he has always done. Malachi Felder was a problem, looks like he has committed to learning the game this off season and actually knows what he is doing.

LB: hardin has gottin way better... He was a beast. I saw some good things from the sophomore Bowe... He looks like he has grown to a good 215 himself. I would like to see him get his instincts better but he is young and that should come with some time. He look better as the game went on.

DB: couldn't really see who was playing where but I did like what I saw in run support but gave up a big TD catch(nothing new) and almost a second one. I was happy overall though...

Overall like I said I am no more worried than I was before the scrimmage. Can't wait to get this season started.

#15 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

So I watched the film from the scrimmage and was came away not very worried for this season at all... After you realize this is the first gem with the new offense and the young guys playing you have to think they will get it right.
Notes:
OL: the OL played decent but not good, but the guy I kept my eye on was the line new starter at right guard (6"7 330 jr Nick Earl) iknow he had been working at both right tackle and guard in the off season and I'm guessing that he is just better in that spot. He actually impressed me he held his own for the most part, saw a few mental errors but nothing to bad. Not a concern because this time last year The center was the lone new starter and had a horrible first scrimmage but came back the next scrimmage and did great, along with the entire season, all he needed was to get his first price of action in.... All in all OL line will be fine.
RB: I was not impressed really at first but then the line got stronger and the RBs did better, I really am excited for freshman leddie brown he had a pretty good day with some nice nifty, and very tuff runs. There was one run where it literally took abt 4-5 defenders to take him down. Was also impressed with freshman Tavion Washington who was all over the field. Saw him twice make a DB look silly from the slot, then on two runs from RB where he first ran for a nice 6 yards jumpin over guys, then another making a whole half of the GC defense miss on what looked like should have been a short gain to the outside. (He has a lot of speed),yes it was against the second team but I am still excited on his future. then you add in RB Devon Russell who was the starter last season who had a decent day while on getting a few reps there. I think they will really miss ballard though. Need that big back for short yardage.
WR- idk what to really say about them, there were some good then a lot of bad. Mostly looked like mental problems where the WRs did wrong routs. There is still talent there. I did not see lumpkin at all on offense and he is a problem in the slot, he will be a 30-40 catch guy this season from that spot. I think the new offense is was slowed them down tbh.
DL: I see Harding went both ways and I think him at DT is great, I think he is a high caliber DT guy... Everytime he was put at the spot last year he made the play. Other than him I was impressed by the young guys that were playing the sophomore Miller held his own though still looks young mental wise, Wiley did what he has always done. Malachi Felder was a problem, looks like he has committed to learning the game this off season and actually knows what he is doing.
LB: hardin has gottin way better... He was a beast. I saw some good things from the sophomore Bowe... He looks like he has grown to a good 215 himself. I would like to see him get his instincts better but he is young and that should come with some time. He look better as the game went on.
DB: couldn't really see who was playing where but I did like what I saw in run support but gave up a big TD catch(nothing new) and almost a second one. I was happy overall though...
Overall like I said I am no more worried than I was before the scrimmage. Can't wait to get this season started.

All of this is great and fine, but they were playing a Good Counsel team who is at best third in the WCAC and more than likely around 5th in the conference. A GC team that has a whole new starting OL and DL returns only Fullwood. So not sure how you don't have anything to be worried about this season with the schedule they're playing. If they were playing in a normal league, I understand not having any worries. These guys are playing the toughest schedule in the history of high school football, there's plenty to worry about!

Edited by GREYHOUND ALUM, 18 August 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#16 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:07 AM

I agree...and what many people are over looking with this scrimmage is the ECA blitzing...that's B.S when it comes to scrimmaging and its simply unsportsman like by the ECA coaches to install blitz packages during scrimmages...I don't know too many coaches who do it...I know Abbotts used to do it and it  made him look like a wuss for doing it...  

#17 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

I agree...and what many people are over looking with this scrimmage is the ECA blitzing...that's B.S when it comes to scrimmaging and its simply unsportsman like by the ECA coaches to install blitz packages during scrimmages...I don't know too many coaches who do it...I know Abbotts used to do it and it made him look like a wuss for doing it...

gc was also blitzing so I guess it was an Ageement...

#18 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

All of this is great and fine, but they were playing a Good Counsel team who is at best third in the WCAC and more than likely around 5th in the conference. A GC team that has a whole new starting OL and DL returns only Fullwood. So not sure how you don't have anything to be worried about this season with the schedule they're playing. If they were playing in a normal league, I understand not having any worries. These guys are playing the toughest schedule in the history of high school football, there's plenty to worry about!

yes I realize this and the scrimmage showed no reason that they would not beat the breaks off GC in a real game...

The play calling on offense was very very basic for ECA and it was very evident that they want to work on the read option. They ran the same exact play up the middle with the freshman RB 3 times at one point just to go 3 and out.

GC had one legit touchdown to me and that was a very nice long ball to number 12. Other than that nothing much at all.

#19 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,500 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 02:28 PM

yes I realize this and the scrimmage showed no reason that they would not beat the breaks off GC in a real game...
The play calling on offense was very very basic for ECA and it was very evident that they want to work on the read option. They ran the same exact play up the middle with the freshman RB 3 times at one point just to go 3 and out.
GC had one legit touchdown to me and that was a very nice long ball to number 12. Other than that nothing much at all.

With that schedule, I see a 2, 3 win season. Maybe 4 at best if they beat a rebuilding young DeMatha. But the young DeMatha kids will be a little more seasoned by the time the two teams play.

#20 HSFBLover

HSFBLover

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 03:22 PM

With that schedule, I see a 2, 3 win season. Maybe 4 at best if they beat a rebuilding young DeMatha. But the young DeMatha kids will be a little more seasoned by the time the two teams play.

as will ECAs guys... I see a 6-7!win season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users