Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
85Knight

Did the A's and Tigers screw up?

15 posts in this topic

I thought it was risky to trade away starting outfielders for starting pitchers when the A's and Tigers got into that pissing contest before the trade deadline. They seemed to only be concerned about beating each other in the playoffs as if meeting in the ALCS was a forgone conclusion and they might have done more harm than good to their teams. Weakening your everyday lineup in exchange for a pitcher that's only going to help you every fifth day is very risky and both teams are scuffling right now.

They might be better suited for a playoff series now with beefed up pitching staffs but they might have to play in the wildcard game to get there. Some people have criticized the O's for not going after Lester or Price but which one of our outfielders should we have given up because that's what the price was. When it's all said and done we might have made the smartest move of them all.

Edited by 85Knight

I think the As will be fine. Yes, losing Cespedes' bat hurts them but they are still a very good lineup without him.

The Tigers' trade for Price was a smart move given that it's not guaranteed that they'll be able to keep Scherzer after this season. Plus, they have up almost nothing to get Price.

The Tigers are slumping mainly because their Bullpen stinks this season.

In contrast KC is surging because of their bullpen.

Edited by soulflower

I thought that the A's moves were bizarre, and yes, it did feel like they were in a pissing contest with Detroit.  Now there's a good chance they don't win their division, and have to face Detroit in the WC.  Well, at least they'll be playing the team that they "built" to beat :)

It looks more and more like these teams are in trouble. If they are going to turn it back around they'd better do it quickly. The irony of sports.

It was always going to be a race to the finish between LA and Oakland. The Angels are a great team and they were expected to win the division. Both teams are probably among the top three teams in baseball.

Detroit's situation appears more dire. They haven't been playing well the past few weeks. I can easily forsee them losing the division and the Wild Card race.

I think Oakland's trades were good moves. They just have a very small margin for error or losing streaks.

I also think Detroit's trades were good moves however, the problem for Detroit is that the trades didn't address their biggest weakness, and that's been their lack of bullpen depth...

It was always going to be a race to the finish between LA and Oakland. The Angels are a great team and they were expected to win the division. Both teams are probably among the top three teams in baseball.

Detroit's situation appears more dire. They haven't been playing well the past few weeks. I can easily forsee them losing the division and the Wild Card race.

I think Oakland's trades were good moves. They just have a very small margin for error or losing streaks.

I also think Detroit's trades were good moves however, the problem for Detroit is that the trades didn't address their biggest weakness, and that's been their lack of bullpen depth...

The A's have lost 5 in a row and 7 out of their last 8. After they traded for all that pitching everyone thought they were a shoe in for the division title. This slide is surprising a lot of people and a lot of the blame is being put on their hitting.

Edited by 85Knight

The A's have lost 5 in a row and 7 out of their last 8. After they traded for all that pitching everyone thought they were a shoe in for the division title. This slide is surprising a lot of people and a lot of the blame is being put on their hitting.

Well baseball is unpredictable sometimes. On paper, every GM in baseball would make the trades they made.

I still believe the As will be there in October...

Well baseball is unpredictable sometimes. On paper, every GM in baseball would make the trades they made.

I still believe the As will be there in October...

If you remember everyone was talking about how quiet the trade period was going because of the amount of teams that were still in the playoff chase. Then everything changed when out of nowhere the A's and Tigers traded starting outfielders for pitchers. Those trades where shocking and almost unprecedented given the position they were in.

I'm not sure every GM would make a move like that. There were just too many people who were surprised when they happened.

Edited by 85Knight

I wonder how much paying Cespedes 10 million next year factored in the A's decision.

Cespedes was a free agent after next year and my initial thought was that the A's must have felt like they weren't going to be able to re-sign him and dealt him for that reason, same as Tb did with Price.

I could be totally wrong, however, as I did not read much about the trade or the reasons why Oakland did it.

Edited by Gizmo

I disagreed with the trade from the start (from the A's standpoint) but agree that Cespedes doesn't fit Oakland's money ball strategy as he has an extremely low OBP (rarely ever walks) and no longer comes cheap now that he's making over $10 million.  

It remains to be seen what the final results of the trade will be... but trading a middle of the order bat, everyday ballplayer and key component of the team for a guy who's on the field once every five days was highly questionable.

Billy Beane completely ignored the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it" which made this an extremely risky trade.  It's almost as if he was looking ahead to securing a top notch 4 man rotation for the playoffs but forgetting about the importance of winning the division first. 

Edited by BayAreaBmore

If you remember everyone was talking about how quiet the trade period was going because of the amount of teams that were still in the playoff chase. Then everything changed when out of nowhere the A's and Tigers traded starting outfielders for pitchers. Those trades where shocking and almost unprecedented given the position they were in.

I'm not sure every GM would make a move like that. There were just too many people who were surprised when they happened.

I think Detroit's trade for Price has more to do with long-term insurance in case they lose Max Scherzer. Max turned down an extension. Price is under contract through next season. 

And they didn't have to give up much to get him. It was a great trade and has little to do with their losing ground since the AS break. 

I do agree that the A's are worried about the Tigers but they were more worried about the Angels who have gotten healthier and are playing better since the All-Star break. 

The Angels are a very good team and were always going to be in the Playoff races. Many predictions had them winning the division.

The Mariners are the biggest surprise in the AL West. It will be fun to watch them and KC battle for division/wild card spots down the stretch. 

The Os will probably secure a playoff berth before anyone else in the AL. 

Edited by soulflower

Cespedes was a free agent after next year and my initial thought was that the A's must have felt like they weren't going to be able to re-sign him and dealt him for that reason, same as Tb did with Price.

I could be totally wrong, however, as I did not read much about the trade or the reasons why Oakland did it.

The A's mistake is that if you have no bats you don't give up a big bat.

The A's mistake is that if you have no bats you don't give up a big bat.

Oh, I agree...I did not think this was a good trade for the A's when I heard about it.