• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:39 PM

Returning from an Adirondacks camping trip yesterday, I was provided with a newfound appreciation of the O's radio duo. For yesterday's game, I was required to listen to that painfully dull pair from Cleveland. I can't imagine having to bear that over the course of a season; baseball is long enough already. And things got only slighlty better when I followed up with the end of the Jays/Chisox game and hearing the home team pairing. A little more personality there; emphasis on little. I've always liked Fred Manfra, and missed him greatly during his time away with surgery. I swear to God that Jim Hunter must wash Angelos' car every Tuesday, given his hyper homerism. And while I feel that Joe Angel tries to be a bit too funny at times, the truth of the matter is that he is an entertaning guy. Baseball and radio together are nearly a perfect marriage, and that bond greatly depends upon those narrating the game.

So thank you, Fred and Joe.

On a related note, I wish we could hear more of Ben McDonald. God, I love listening to that guy.

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

#2 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

Returning from an Adirondacks camping trip yesterday, I was provided with a newfound appreciation of the O's radio duo. For yesterday's game, I was required to listen to that painfully dull pair from Cleveland. I can't imagine having to bear that over the course of a season; baseball is long enough already. And things got only slighlty better when I followed up with the end of the Jays/Chisox game and hearing the home team pairing. A little more personality there; emphasis on little. I've always liked Fred Manfra, and missed him greatly during his time away with surgery. I swear to God that Jim Hunter must wash Angelos' car every Tuesday, given his hyper homerism. And while I feel that Joe Angel tries to be a bit too funny at times, the truth of the matter is that he is an entertaning guy. Baseball and radio together are nearly a perfect marriage, and that bond greatly depends upon those narrating the game.

So thank you, Fred and Joe.

On a related note, I wish we could hear more of Ben McDonald. God, I love listening to that guy.

While I miss John Miller immensely I do think the O's have a pretty good overall broadcast team.

Bordy and Palmer both provide very good insights from a player perspective although Bordy is often too positive. Palmer just gives a nightly tutorial on fundamental baseball. While I am not crazy about Thorne, I do think he's gotten better.

Finally, I love listening to the Dave Johnson and Steve Meleskie after the games.

#3 Bowie-Bruce

Bowie-Bruce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 12,546 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 04:47 PM

On TV, I love the dynamics between Palmer and Thorne. Hell, you could pair Palmer with anybody for that matter. A baseball encyclopedia.

I feel that Bordick has gotten much better over time. I wasn't much of a fan at first; thought that he came off as pretty stiff and monotone.

Dave Johnson is fine, except for that voice. Shouldn't puberty have taken place by now?

Heaven is under our feet as well as over our heads.
--Thoreau

#4 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,644 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

I like Fred & Joe. but I don't hear them that often, since I usually watch the games. other than Hunter, I like everyone else. Bordick is kind of dull in his delivery, but his anecdotes are interesting to hear. he won't acknowledge any sort of compliment though, and that's too bad, because he was a damn fine shortstop. if Thorne or Hunter mention his defensive prowess, he won't respond at all. he just waits for the next play or comment.

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#5 alienrace

alienrace

Destroyer of Trolls and B.S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,361 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:20 PM

Fred and Joe are great. 

The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#6 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 18 August 2014 - 05:46 PM

I like Fred & Joe. but I don't hear them that often, since I usually watch the games. other than Hunter, I like everyone else. Bordick is kind of dull in his delivery, but his anecdotes are interesting to hear. he won't acknowledge any sort of compliment though, and that's too bad, because he was a damn fine shortstop. if Thorne or Hunter mention his defensive prowess, he won't respond at all. he just waits for the next play or comment.

Everytime Bordick says that a player "over boogied" an angel gets it's wings.

#7 EmDot

EmDot

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,833 posts
  • LocationIn the land of optimism

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:43 PM

Fred's okay, but not Joe IMO. Never cared for JM.
To retaliate in kind would do nothing but intensify the existence of hate in the universe. Along the way of life, someone must have sense enough, and morality enough, to cut off the chain of hate. ~~ MLK

#8 weird-O

weird-O

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,644 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:23 PM

Everytime Bordick says that a player "over boogied" an angel gets it's wings.

good stuff :D

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damn lies, and statistics." - Benjamin Disraeli

#9 jamesdean

jamesdean

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 05:34 AM

I rarely listen to the radio play-by-play, mainly because I don't care for either one of them.  Fred Manfra seems like a very nice man but he's late on pretty much every call.  It's easy to describe something after it's over but you're missing a huge part of the excitement of hearing things as they happen.  Joe Angel is technically better but at some point, I guess he decided he was part announcer/part stand up comedian who is not funny.  And of course, Fred plays his Ed McMahon while laughing wildly.  Chuck Thompson and Bill O'Donnel were leaps and bounds better than this pair.  On TV, I do like Gary Thorne but I wish he'd come up with a homerun call other than, "goodbye-homerun!"  Jim Palmer's extremely knowledeable and also irritating.  Give me Bordick any day.

#10 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,306 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 09:43 AM

I rarely listen to the radio play-by-play, mainly because I don't care for either one of them.  Fred Manfra seems like a very nice man but he's late on pretty much every call.  It's easy to describe something after it's over but you're missing a huge part of the excitement of hearing things as they happen.  Joe Angel is technically better but at some point, I guess he decided he was part announcer/part stand up comedian who is not funny.  And of course, Fred plays his Ed McMahon while laughing wildly.  Chuck Thompson and Bill O'Donnel were leaps and bounds better than this pair.  On TV, I do like Gary Thorne but I wish he'd come up with a homerun call other than, "goodbye-homerun!"  Jim Palmer's extremely knowledeable and also irritating.  Give me Bordick any day.

I completely agree about the radio guys. I used to drive for a living so I got the radio through my phone. I usually switched over to the other teams broadcast because Manfra straight up refuses to tell you what is happening, especially big plays with lots of moving pieces, and Angel spends half the broadcast making fun of the producer Casey. He was much better when he was Jon Miller's color guy.

#11 Scaggsville

Scaggsville

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,022 posts

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:17 AM

I enjoy the Thorne/Palmer duo on TV. We had the gold standard on radio with Jon "round mound of sound" Miller but let him get away. :(

#12 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

Resident Good Luck Charm

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 18,585 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:12 AM

I like Joe Angel. I like Gary Thorne and Jim Palmer too.

As far as other teams' broadcasters, I love Vin Scully (but who doesn't?), and surprisingly, John Sterling and Susan Waldman from the Yankees. They call a pretty good game, and are both pretty fair to the other team. I've heard them be very complimentary to the Yankees' opponents this year when they're playing well, including the Orioles.

I also love listening to Hawk Harrelson...when the White Sox are losing. :)

Edited by Slidemaster, 20 August 2014 - 01:13 AM.

The kids are alright.

#13 Steveg85321

Steveg85321

Sage of wisdom, reason and truth

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:59 AM

I very much enjoy the TV broadcasters, especially Palmer. I don't get to listen much to the radio these days (mostly because AM reception where I am is not good). I miss that; most of my life baseball on the radio was the background for my whole summers. Chuck Thompson and Jon Miller were my favorites. I used to listen to the radio and watch games without the sound, and of course that is now not effective since TV doesn't happen in real time. It is actually sort of funny to do it - the radio tells you what is happening, and five seconds later you can watch it happen on TV, but it is not that enjoyable to watch a whole game that way. Joe Angel and Fred Manfra are OK (and highly respected in the industry, so we're fortunate to have them) but they're not part of the family the way it used to be.

Edited by Steveg85321, 20 August 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#14 Struds

Struds

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,907 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:07 AM

I very much enjoy the TV broadcasters, especially Palmer. I don't get to listen much to the radio these days (mostly because AM reception where I am is not good). I miss that; most of my life baseball on the radio was the background for my whole summers. Chuck Thompson and Jon Miller were my favorites. I used to listen to the radio and watch games without the sound, and of course that is now not effective since TV doesn't happen in real time. It is actually sort of funny to do it - the radio tells you what is happening, and five seconds later you can watch it happen on TV, but it is not that enjoyable to watch a whole game that way. Joe Angel and Fred Manfra are OK (and highly respected in the industry, so we're fortunate to have them) but they're not part of the family the way it used to be.

It is funny. We've been known to jump up off the porch and run inside to see something good happen that we just heard on the radio.

#15 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,533 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 12:03 PM

...On a related note, I wish we could hear more of Ben McDonald. God, I love listening to that guy.

I think Ben does a great job as an analyst when they bring him in.  Funny, remembering him as a player, he never seemed the type that would even WANT to talk that much or do any more "media" stuff then he had to.  But he's great in the role... lots of great insight similar to Palmer, and seems comfortable on the microphone.

Edited by Ravens2006, 20 August 2014 - 12:03 PM.

"Matt Wieters is sunshine, unicorns, puppy dogs and the baby Jesus all rolled into one"

#16 BayAreaBmore

BayAreaBmore

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

On TV, I do like Gary Thorne but I wish he'd come up with a homerun call other than, "goodbye-homerun!"  

Completely agree that absolutely has to go. I like Thorne and like the HR ball for the O's even more, but cringe every time the two come together and that call is made. 

Edited by BayAreaBmore, 20 August 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#17 johnpolitics

johnpolitics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,146 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 05:15 PM

Completely agree that absolutely has to go. I like Thorne and like the HR ball for the O's even more, but cringe every time the two come together and that call is made. 

I like how Gary is paying tribute the Ralph Kiner this year with the 'happy recap" comment at the end of games.

#18 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,904 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn

Posted 21 August 2014 - 10:52 AM

I like Joe Angel. I like Gary Thorne and Jim Palmer too.

As far as other teams' broadcasters, I love Vin Scully (but who doesn't?), and surprisingly, John Sterling and Susan Waldman from the Yankees. They call a pretty good game, and are both pretty fair to the other team. I've heard them be very complimentary to the Yankees' opponents this year when they're playing well, including the Orioles.

I also love listening to Hawk Harrelson...when the White Sox are losing. :)

Yeah, I've never quite understood the venom directed at Sterling. He calls a good game. He does have his idiocincracies but most of the great announcers do.

#19 Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,306 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 11:03 AM

Watch the game but listen to Sterling and you'll see how often he's just dead wrong about what is happening. Also, since his home run calls take so much time he has to launch into the whole, 'that ball is high, mmmmmmmit is far, mmmmmmmmmit is gone' thing anytime a guy hits a ball to the warning track.

#20 TheJudgement

TheJudgement

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:38 PM

The white sox guys are the worst

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users