Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Thirteen

John Lackey, Pat Neshek work deal on uniform #

7 posts in this topic

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/11384405/john-lackey-gives-pat-neshek-babe-ruth-ball-number-switch-st-louis-cardinals

St. Louis Cardinals newcomer John Lackey really wanted to keep his old number, so he gave teammate Pat Neshek quite a reward for switching jerseys.

After Neshek gave up his No. 41 uniform, Lackey gave him a baseball autographed by Babe Ruth that's worth thousands of dollars.

unlike a new car, or a rolex, a Babe Ruth signed baseball is easily replaceable. as a mlb player, he can call up the Babe and ask him to sign another ball for him. so it makes perfect sense to me.  :huh:

Nice gift. Lackey was probably thinking he'd say, "Oh I couldn't take that from you".

Well, I'm just glad Neshek is in the NL. Pretty much the ugliest, yet very effective pitching motion ever.

Edited by aurelius

I heard some details about this story, on the radio. Lackey asked Neshek if he could have the #. Neshek said yes. he didn't ask for any gifts, and didn't make a big deal out of it. a few days later, Lackey came into the clubhouse and gave him the ball. it was a total surprise gift. 

that's really very cool of Lackey. 

I heard some details about this story, on the radio. Lackey asked Neshek if he could have the #. Neshek said yes. he didn't ask for any gifts, and didn't make a big deal out of it. a few days later, Lackey came into the clubhouse and gave him the ball. it was a total surprise gift. 

that's really very cool of Lackey. 

That is cool, but still dumb.